Insurance for Landlords based in EEA Member States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance for Landlords based in EEA Member States

Apologies if this has already been covered but has anyone found a way around the latest "Brexit Bonus" One of my landlords based in Europe was searching for insurance and discovered a problem....

"The principle impact of Brexit on the insurance market is that in the absence of any post Brexit agreement (current agreement does not include Financial Services) between the UK Government and EEA member states we as UK based brokers no longer have regulatory permissions to transact business when our customer is domiciled in an EEA member state. It is not a commercial decision we have simply lost the passporting rights previously enjoyed which allowed UK brokers to operate on an Freedom of Services basis."

Brexit just keeps on giving......

The landlord ( resident in Europe) has to place the insurance policy order with UK Insurance broker using c/o UK letting agents address.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      The landlord ( resident in Europe) has to place the insurance policy order with UK Insurance broker using c/o UK letting agents address.
      Seems logical but the broker she was using actually wrote to us to say they could no longer help!

Comment

The passporting rights allowed UK brokers freedom to conduct business in EU countries.

Brexit may stop UK brokers conducting business in Europe, but it should not stop the UK broker operating within UK market..

Find another UK broker or insurance company willing to accept UK address c/o letting agent .

Comment

Thanks Gordon but I think the landlord has now arranged it via a broker with a Swedish office? Sounds a little artificial but it has solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            The passporting rights allowed UK brokers freedom to conduct business in EU countries.

Brexit may stop UK brokers conducting business in Europe, but it should not stop the UK broker operating within UK market..
            This is true Gordon999 . Brexit has meant we as a UK broker are now unable to provide cover for new and existing customers that are not UK residents. Whilst we have explored many options to be able to help these customers, unless the policyholder is based in the UK we simply can't help. Some large brokers/insurers with a multinational presence around Europe and beyond may have the ability to transact in other countries which is maybe what Goobs27 has found.

Using a c/o address in the UK (whether that is a letting agent, family member, etc.) may bypass online forms that only allow UK addresses or maybe a broker that does not fully know the implications, but ultimately a UK broker will generally only have permission to deal with UK based policyholders and is putting the customer at risk of having an invalid insurance policy if they are not actually based in the UK.

The only way around this we have seen is for the non-UK resident to set up a Limited Company in the UK and to transfer ownership of the property to the Limited Company. The Limited Company would be UK registered so Insurance would then become possible again. Unfortunately for us, it is unlikely that a non-UK Landlord would do all of this so that they can continue using their friendly UK based insurance broker!

Comment

Like many early problems this will be sorted in time. As a UK broker why not make a partnership with a broker within the EU and continue as (almost) normal? You take a fee for the introduction and a percentage of the profits. Voila!
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leak to downstairs flat
                by CenturionX
                Hi there.

I was recently notified by my agent that the downstairs flat had contacted my tenants that there was a leak from my flat so a plumber was sent the same day to investigate, this was on the 4th June and they repaired the leak temporarily while awaiting parts. A few days later the...
                18-06-2021, 20:21 PM
              • Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
                by Section20z
                Of course, you could perhaps argue that they didn't take adequate action to mitigate the damage or you could claim off the buildings insurance but to be honest for £750 tax deductible I would write it off as business expense ...
                18-06-2021, 20:54 PM
              • Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
                by JK0
                Not really, but what can you do?

This happens to me all the time having ground floor flats. Tenants never report anything until the dripping starts to damage their own things.
                18-06-2021, 20:52 PM
              • How to pay for insurance?
                by thecrazy1
                I am a freeholder of a converted house. I am selling my flat and retaining half the freehold and i am also sorting out the insurance for the building. The renewal is next week but the new owners do not move in until the end of the month.

If I pay for the insurance upfront for the year and...
                14-06-2021, 13:57 PM
              • Reply to How to pay for insurance?
                by Gordon999
                You may be able to claim back the the upstairs flat contribution to annual insurance ( paid in advance by you ) through the sale completion statement . But you should discuss with your conveyancing soicitor first.
                15-06-2021, 14:21 PM
                by thecrazy1
                It is a bloody mess! I am keeping a share of the freehold because, as you say my share is being transferred to the new owners. However, as I have the entire freehold and the leasee in the basement doesn't want to purchase a share of the freehold or extend. therefore, I will still have a share.
                14-06-2021, 21:31 PM
                by ram
                Simple, you wont own the flat on the1st July, therefore you must get from the new owner pre payment for the cost of insurance. all this should have been known and accounted for ages ago.
                And why when you have sold are you keeping half the freehold. Your frreehold portion should be assigned ( for
                14-06-2021, 19:58 PM
                by thecrazy1
                Many thanks. there are two flats but one is a one bed basement and the other is a two bedroom over two floors and in the original lease for the basement, it states that the basement pays one third and the upstairs pays two thirds.

Until now, we as the freeholder and owner of the top floor...
                14-06-2021, 15:54 PM
                by ram
                How many flats are there ? -- 3 ?
                Each flat in that case pays one third. ( or one quarter - if 4 flats etc.)
                Leaseholders re imburse the freeholder, so why was the money not collected previously.
                You set the expences 1 year in advance for all out goings, and that includes the insurance.
                14-06-2021, 15:31 PM
              • Reply to 5+ months and still insurance won't give me any payout / decision
                by Gordon999
                1. The Which Report website gives advice on how to claim against insurance companies :

2. Some sunday newspapers have a column which offers help to readers ( consumers ).
                12-06-2021, 07:22 AM
              Working...
              X