Obtaining insurance on a property after a subsidence claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining insurance on a property after a subsidence claim

This query is only peripherally related to property rental, but I'm hoping to tap into the expertise and experience of the forum members...

My partner has moved in to my home and has been trying to sell her own house. Cutting a long story short, last year she put in an insurance claim for possible subsidence (having commissioned a structural engineer's report, which was equivocal). The insurers decided the problem was collapsed drains and paid out a £3k claim to fix this. Monitoring work was also carried out for several months, and a certificate was issued to confirm the work had been done and completed successfully.

Fast forward a few months, and a prospective buyer - who had been made aware of the issue, and had had her own survey carried out - very reluctantly pulled out of the sale at the last minute because she was unable to find an insurance company who would sell her an insurance policy. She had also been given the (correct) advice that under these circumstances it's best practice to use the same insurer as the seller, so there's no potential for a future subsidence claim to fall between the cracks (no pun intended), however the current insurers - a big name - flatly refused to countenance that. We have also tried to find new cover ourselves, both via online companies and brokers, and had similar experiences, so you can't really blame the buyer. We have been advised by insurers that this will persist for 15 years.

My partner decided that the best way forward might be to rent out the property instead for a few years (here's the relevance to this forum!), however on making enquiries with her current insurer she was advised they don't do landlord cover, so that option is also out of the question. They have agreed to renew the policy in her name only, so currently the only option being made available to my partner is literally that she remains in the house herself indefinitely.

My only personal experience of anything similar was when attempting to buy an investment property about 10 years ago... that turned out to have had corrected subsidence, and I experienced the exact same insurance issue as the prospective buyer of my partner's property, and I pulled out too.

There must be plenty of properties in this country which have suffered from this, so surely to God this can't be insurmountable. Does anyone here have any experience of this?

Have you tried NFU Mutual? They provide my landlord's cover after subsidence.

Comment

Never ever claim for subsidence.

Comment

When we are approached by a customer looking for property insurance with a previous subsidence claim, getting cover for the property is not normally a problem but it is highly likely subsidence would be excluded by the insurer. Getting subsidence cover included is where the problems start and is why staying with the current insurer is the best option (albeit not an option in your case).

All I can recommend is contacting several brokers and getting them to do the work for you to get the cover you need.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
          We've finally found a new insurer who is prepared to take on the property as a rental, so that's the route my partner's going to go with. (Premium's about double what you'd expect had the subsidence work not been done, which is not unexpected).

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Have you tried NFU Mutual? They provide my landlord's cover after subsidence.
          Thanks - she put them on the list and they would in principal have provided cover but only after a named tenant had been fully signed up and was actually living in the property; and then there would have been an hour-long phone interview before issuing any policy, Very odd. And obviously inappropriate for the current scenario.

Originally posted by ashburnham View Post
          Getting subsidence cover included is where the problems start and is why staying with the current insurer is the best option (albeit not an option in your case).
          Yeah. I simply don't understand why there isn't at least a code of practice that insurers should continue to offer insurance to a new owner, on a property which they have paid out on to fix. This property in question was perilously close to being totally blighted because of this; and the subsidence wasn't even a serious case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leak to downstairs flat
            by CenturionX
            Hi there.

I was recently notified by my agent that the downstairs flat had contacted my tenants that there was a leak from my flat so a plumber was sent the same day to investigate, this was on the 4th June and they repaired the leak temporarily while awaiting parts. A few days later the...
            18-06-2021, 20:21 PM
          • Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
            by Section20z
            Of course, you could perhaps argue that they didn't take adequate action to mitigate the damage or you could claim off the buildings insurance but to be honest for £750 tax deductible I would write it off as business expense ...
            18-06-2021, 20:54 PM
          • Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
            by JK0
            Not really, but what can you do?

This happens to me all the time having ground floor flats. Tenants never report anything until the dripping starts to damage their own things.
            18-06-2021, 20:52 PM
          • How to pay for insurance?
            by thecrazy1
            I am a freeholder of a converted house. I am selling my flat and retaining half the freehold and i am also sorting out the insurance for the building. The renewal is next week but the new owners do not move in until the end of the month.

If I pay for the insurance upfront for the year and...
            14-06-2021, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to How to pay for insurance?
            by Gordon999
            You may be able to claim back the the upstairs flat contribution to annual insurance ( paid in advance by you ) through the sale completion statement . But you should discuss with your conveyancing soicitor first.
            15-06-2021, 14:21 PM
            by thecrazy1
            It is a bloody mess! I am keeping a share of the freehold because, as you say my share is being transferred to the new owners. However, as I have the entire freehold and the leasee in the basement doesn't want to purchase a share of the freehold or extend. therefore, I will still have a share.
            14-06-2021, 21:31 PM
            by ram
            Simple, you wont own the flat on the1st July, therefore you must get from the new owner pre payment for the cost of insurance. all this should have been known and accounted for ages ago.
            And why when you have sold are you keeping half the freehold. Your frreehold portion should be assigned ( for
            14-06-2021, 19:58 PM
            by thecrazy1
            Many thanks. there are two flats but one is a one bed basement and the other is a two bedroom over two floors and in the original lease for the basement, it states that the basement pays one third and the upstairs pays two thirds.

Until now, we as the freeholder and owner of the top floor...
            14-06-2021, 15:54 PM
            by ram
            How many flats are there ? -- 3 ?
            Each flat in that case pays one third. ( or one quarter - if 4 flats etc.)
            Leaseholders re imburse the freeholder, so why was the money not collected previously.
            You set the expences 1 year in advance for all out goings, and that includes the insurance.
            14-06-2021, 15:31 PM
          • Reply to 5+ months and still insurance won't give me any payout / decision
            by Gordon999
            1. The Which Report website gives advice on how to claim against insurance companies :

2. Some sunday newspapers have a column which offers help to readers ( consumers ).
            12-06-2021, 07:22 AM
          Working...
          X