Freeholder has taken out Landlord Insurance instead of Block of Flats insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Freeholder has taken out Landlord Insurance instead of Block of Flats insurance

    I'm a leaseholder of a top floor flat in a semi-detached house converted into two flats. Per the terms of my lease, the freeholder is responsible for insuring the building, and I am required to pay my share of the premium.

    The ground floor flat and freehold are under new ownership, both owned by the same person. The new owner has let his flat to a tenant on an AST.

    I have just received an invoice from the freeholder asking me to pay half of his insurance policy, but I think he might have bought the wrong type of policy?
    • The policy is entitled "Property Owners", with a description of "Property Owners occupied as Multiple Flats Converted"
    • It contains the following sections:
      • SECTION 1: THE STRUCTURE, with £300k rebuild cost, which sounds about right
      • SECTION 2: LANDLORDS CONTENTS, including:
        • Floor Coverings £5k
        • Landlords Contents £10k
        • Contents of Common Parts £0
      • SECTION 4: RENT RECEIVABLE, including:
        • Loss of Rent £10k
        • Loss of Book Debts £25k
      • SECTION 5: GLASS AND SANITARY WARE, including:
        • Glass and Sanitary Ware
        • Shop Front Glass
      • SECTION 7: PERSONAL ACCIDENT - excluded

    I have two main concerns with this policy:

    1. This looks like a landlord's policy, and from what I've read, the building should be insured under a "block of flats" policy by the freeholder;
    Not sure if this matters though, as long as the building and rebuild costs are covered? Does it matter??

    2. I'm being asked to pay half of the whole policy, which means I'm subsidising his LL cover for his flat that he's renting out (specifically, sections 2, 4, 5 and maybe 8).
    The whole policy cost is not a huge amount of money though (£360), so my share is only £180, so it the answer to point 1 is "it doesn't matter how the building structure is insured", and a Block of Flats policy is likely to cost more than this (any ideas on likely cost please??) , would I be better off just shutting up and paying 50%? I don't want to end up complaining and then having to pay more for no good reason!

    Thanks in advance for your replies - I'm finding this a little confusing!!

    What does the wording in your lease say about buildings insurance ? Some leases say the " the insured cover for buildings insurance is decided by the lessor ( freeholder ) and £180 for your 50% share does not look excessive .

    The only way to find out the cost of insurance is by getting quotes from other insurance brokers in your area.


      This looks pretty identical to our policy - Property Owners with the same headings as yours. The freeholder owns our building, there are two flats and a restaurant, all on long leases.


        Meant to say that the lease should give an indication of the contribution required from each party.


          A Property owners policy can be a block of flats policy, or a parade of shops with flats over, or an office block. Landlords contents is included as standard, ie no additional premium) and that doesn't mean the landlord's contents in a flat he might own, it means landlords contents in the common parts( if any)


          Latest Activity


          • Unoccupied Property Insurance
            by Marcus Read
            Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
            24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
          • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
            by ifallelsefails
            I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
            You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
            22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
          • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
            by ifallelsefails
            You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance:
            22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
          • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
            by JamesHopeful
            Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

            I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
            20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
          • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
            by theartfullodger
            None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

            And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
            22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
          • Ensuring Insurance
            by AVJ113
            Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
            22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
          • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
            by L4NDLORD
            Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
            15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
          • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
            by Piffy
            I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
            11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
          • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
            by Steve Barnes
            I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
            10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
          • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
            by MorProp
            Hi all,

            Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

            also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

            how do you deal with emergencies?

            05-01-2022, 09:36 AM