will my insurance go up significantly after the claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will my insurance go up significantly after the claim?

Hi there. Recently my tenants has asked Virgin came to install cable without my consent, Virgin came and drilled a hole on my water pipe which caused serious water damage. Virgin asked me to go through my insurance company and make a claim then my insurance company will make a claim against them. So I did. But Virgin then denied their responsibility said my stop cock is not visible therefore they cannot pay for my damage. My insurance company still agreed pay for my damage but I am worried that after the claim will my insurance go up a lot? I read some articles said it will increase between 20%-50%, I have few properties and will my insurance go up on all of them? And it seems will last five years as well? I am disgust with Virgin and I am trying to come up with a reasonable figure to raise it up to them. I don't know how to calculate the cost of the increased insurance payment and not sure if can back it with some data. Thanks for your help in advance.

Yes your premium will rise, as might the water damage excess and rates across the portfolio.
    I think you should have claimed off Virgin and not your insurer. You could send them a letter before action for the whole repair cost and add a decent whack for likely increase to your premium.
    They will probably just pay.

Comment

Thanks Section20Z. I know Virgin should just done the repair but unfortunately they decided to ignore the damage they caused. With over 6000pounds cost I don't think they will pay up. They did say they will rectify everything until their constructor came and decided it will cost lots of money, then they told me the only way Virgin will pay is through the insurance company. I know it is so unfair. Virgin has totally ignoring me and I can't see any progress after six week, they didn't even provide my tenants accommodation after the damage, my tenants have no place to live for two weeks and I bought them a new bed so they can temporarily stay in the house before the repair.

Comment

I would commend to all readers to deny wayleaves to Virgin as have we. They caused significant damage to a property by cutting a slot in an asphalt covered walkway for their cabling into a flat. We didn't find the source of the problem at the time and spent around seventy thousand pounds re-asphalting a large area forming a flat roof and walkway to ten flats as it was not apparent from where the leak was emanating.

Comment

bluebird2021 - you should have fixed the pipe and made your tenant pay or bring a small claims case against Virgin. I find Virgin are quite insistent on getting landlord approval. I wonder what went wrong there?

Agree with flyingfreehold. I have just had Sky put a cable across the garden of one of my properties (without any notice or consent) and create a trip hazard with cable at a stone step up to a front door. I have tried to contact them without any result so am planning on cutting and removing the cable which goes to a neighbouring property.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Hopefully before too long dishes and cables will all be a thing of the past as media companies send their signal through the internet

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
              I would commend to all readers to deny wayleaves to Virgin as have we.
              You won't be able to do that soon (as far as I can tell).
              https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...led-in-blocks/
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for posting that. BT have been active in pursuit of wayleaves for blocks of flats along the south coast of late. I have found their applications for wayleaves to be much more professional with detailed plans of wiring routes through common parts which we were able to approve in co-operation where appropriate with residents committees. They will also pay for the grantors reasonable costs in the application.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X