Lodgers Agreement and insurance for lodgers??

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lodgers Agreement and insurance for lodgers??

    Hi all,

    I will be lodging with someone on a temporary monthly rolling basis, while I am waiting for a property purchase to complete.

    The landlord wants me to use a NLRA Lodgers Agreement while I stay with her.
    She wants to amend the agreement and cross off things like notice periods.

    The landlord is a live in landlord, and she wants an informal arrangement set up more like a house share.

    So we agreed all utilities are included in the monthly rent, and we would share buying some cleaning/sanitary products etc and I would share with cleaning the house and my room ( which is fine as I have a dog).

    I am concerned about a few things in the Lodgers Agreement as it is really set up to protect the landlord and not really the lodger :

    1) the deposit can be kept, and the landlord can demand even more compensation from the lodger, if things like utilities aren't paid and damage is done to the property.

    The house has been used as an airbnb, and is very 'lived in' and not refurbished to 'guest house' standards for some time - so it would be difficult to distinguish any damage I had done from general wear and tear.

    What do people do when the house/room hasn't be refurbished for some time?

    2) The lodgers personal possessions aren't insured by the landlord, in the lodgers agreement.

    The bedroom - where I had planned to leave all my valuables - needs to be kept accessible to the landlord at any time!

    So what insurance can I get as a lodger for a room that needs to be kept accessible?

    Should I lock things in the boot of my car, while I'm outside the lodgings, and get my mum (where I have my correspondence address) to amend her house insurance to include my personal belongings outside her home?

    3) The lodgers obligations after the agreement has ended.
    What does this mean?

    After I leave the property, can the landlord try to come after me to pay for further damages if noticed later on after I've left? As I said, there's alot of wear and tear in the property already.

    Any advice most welcome!

    1. That's normal. Of course you will contract to sort stuff you mess up, and to do so beyond any deposit. Arguments about how that is assessed/valued is a different matter.

    2. Can't insure stuff that doesn't belong to you. Being accessible is the nature of the agreement. You can get your own insurance.

    3. Not sure what you mean.




      or 'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        I think you either agree to what the landlord is asking or find somewhere else, it doesn't sound like there is flexibility to change anything in the agreement you are not happy with. I personally don't require lodgers to clean communal spaces, just to clean up after themselves, and I hire a cleaner when I don't live at the property where I live currently. I expect one months 'reasonable' notice from a lodger and this is what I would give if I give notice to a lodger, since rent is paid monthly, if rent is paid weekly then the notice period may be 1 week.
        Take photos of the room upon moving in and moving out. Ask if there can be an inventory, and notes made of the condition of furnishings when you move in.


          If you're a lodger with a dog, your choice of accommodation is going to be so limited that I'd not be that picky about the small print of the lodgers agreement.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


            Fair comments.

            I actually just wanted to do Airbnb as I am buying a house and need temporary accommodation, and so airbnb would be permitted during the pandemic.

            But my landlord really wants to avoid the airbnb fees.

            I'm wondering if this Lodgers Agreement is really appropriate to what I need, as it really protects the Landlord and not really me.

            E.g. I can't get travel insurance - like I would if it was airbnb.


            Latest Activity


            • Conflicts of interest
              by Badgermike
              I would like to ask people's on the following situation. I own a flat in a building managed by an appalling managing agent, and I have just confirmed that the company insuring our building is also the landlord of the building. As our managing agent should be acting in the interests of the residents,...
              08-04-2021, 16:43 PM
            • Reply to Conflicts of interest
              by theartfullodger
              Which is the Freeholder, please?...
              10-04-2021, 08:16 AM
            • Freeholder refusing to renewal Buildings Insurance
              by Nimroddx
              Hello All,

              Just a general question, not sure if anyone knows the answer. Our freeholder has had a bit of a mental break, either that or he is plain dumb. But he has sent a letter round to us all saying the Building Insurance due for renewal at the end of January will not be renewed as...
              12-01-2016, 21:17 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder refusing to renewal Buildings Insurance
              by bethy
              Thanks. Unfortunately there's a restaurant in the building so we don't meet the criteria for RTM. However, we have recently heard there is a managing agent being appointed - I've had an initial conversation with the company and they seem ok. So fingers crossed we might get things a bit more.sorted moving...
              10-04-2021, 06:14 AM
            • Reply to Conflicts of interest
              by Gordon999
              But who is the managing agent for the freeholder ?
              10-04-2021, 04:20 AM
            • Reply to Freeholder refusing to renewal Buildings Insurance
              by Gordon999
              I suggest that your freeholder changes to insuring under a "block of flats building insurance policy" or

              you setup RTM company for your block of flats and the RTM company appoints another managing agent which operates to RICS Residential Management Code....
              10-04-2021, 04:19 AM
            • Reply to Conflicts of interest
              by Badgermike
              Yes, in as much as they're under the same Umbrella company. The landlords/owners of the building are Aviva Investors Ground Rent GP and Aviva investors holding. The insurers are Aviva insurance.
              08-04-2021, 19:14 PM
            • Reply to Conflicts of interest
              by theartfullodger
              ?? You mean your landlord is an insurance company?? I'm confused, could you kindly clarify for an OaP....
              08-04-2021, 18:29 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder refusing to renewal Buildings Insurance
              by ram
              If you had the "right" insurance, you would have already paid for 11 months insurance with no claims.
              As is is, you have paid 11 months for Not the right insurance, with no claims, I assume
              Are you out of pocket -- No
              Was claim refused in those 11 months -- probably not.
              05-04-2021, 20:35 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder refusing to renewal Buildings Insurance
              by bethy
              Resurrecting an old thread...

              We have recently had it confirmed that we are in situation b) above - we've paid for insurance that is not actually valid and won't pay out in there is a claim. The FH gave me (as secretary of new RTA) authority to speak direct to insurance agent, and we've...
              05-04-2021, 14:06 PM