Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block insurance

Hi all,

This is my first post so I apologise if this topic is covered somewhere.

Recently there was water coming into my tenant's flat. The block has shared gas/electric and water supplies for each flat in each block (there is one boiler in an outside enclosure for each block and gas/electric is charged to landlord who has to take that into account re amount of rent he charges)

This particular water ingress could have been either in a pipe servicing just my flat or from the 'communal' supply. If the latter, then the leasing management company foots the bill. In this case it was a leak in the adjoining flat and the leasing company said as it was just for that flat then it was the responsibility of that owner. However, to get to that conclusion the contractor's maintenance company went first to my flat and cut a hole in the plasterboard so they could investigate.

The agent for the leasholders says that I have two options - either make a claim for repairs to my flat or take it up with the neighbour/his insurance. However, the buildings insurance has a £500 excess and the re-plastering etc is £230. They won't give me the name of the neighbour - just said they would pass on my details. Since then, I cannot get a response by email or text to that agent - been trying since 3 weeks before Christmas.

It doesn't seem right to me that they can absolve themselves of any responsibility for the damage to my wall - I would have thought that, as the leak was nothing to do with my flat that they should claim the many back from the other tenant. My agent has already deducted the repair from my rents and paid the contractor.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Try to recover your repair costs from adjacent flat owner using the Small Claims Court.

Comment

Thanks Gordon - apologies for delay in responding. The amount is rather small but how do I find the name of the adjacent owner? I seem to remember you can pay a small fee to a government agency?

Stu

Comment

The general information on making a claim , can be obtained by visit to the nearest County Court or you can read on the website at :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...-claims-court/

The fee starts from £35 for small claims and rises to £70 for claims below £1000.

Include the Court fee in your claim. Make your claim against both " the agent and flat owner " and state the agent has refused to give details of the flat owner .

Comment

Thanks Gordon - great advice

Stu

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X