Upstairs left taps on ... leak downstairs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Upstairs left taps on ... leak downstairs

    There was major incident in the area and the water company was working to repair it. There was with little or no water coming. The upstairs (tenant or owner), left the tap on and then went out. The water company fixed the water. The water started to gush out and flooded my rental flat. The Police broke into his flat to stop the water.

    I claimed off the insurance for water damage, but they will not cover the carpet. My excess is £250.

    What is my legal position?

    As others will no doubt be along to tell you soon you suck it up.

    The upstairs tenant/owner can destroy your whole flat causing you 100K of damage and there is stuff all you can do about it unless they did it deliberately (beyond claiming on your own insurance if you have any -- and once you claim once for a water related claim you will be uninsurable thereafter anyway). The law needs a major re-haul but that is the way it is. The stance of insurers may not reflect the legal position but you will find out that it effectively works that way.

    There is absolutely no incentive to behave with care, or to look after plumbing properly in flats - because lack of maintenance is apparently an act of god.


      Lack of maintenance for plumbing would be an act of chance/god.
      Who "maintains" plumbing?

      Leaving a tap open and then going out isn't an act of chance, it's negligence.
      You should claim the cost of the carpet and the excess from the upstairs neighbour.

      The claim is in Tort, the upstairs neighbour owes you a duty of care, breached that because they were negligent and you suffered a direct loss as a consequence.
      I'd talk to them first, because if they don't want to pay, they need to understand that the claim will then include some legal fees, and if your solicitor chooses to take the case on a conditional basis (no win no fee), that could be a lot, because it doesn't sound like they have a leg to stand on.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        My sticky thread may help: Trying to sort this out directly with your neighbour amicably would probably be best but I appreciate this is not always the required route.

        If you have legal protection cover they could be your first call to see if they can assist. If not, then speak to your insurer to see if they are trying to recover the cost of your claim from your neighbour. If so, will they assist you in claiming your uninsured losses (carpet and excess)?
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details


        Latest Activity


        • Deposit insurance claim
          by Milzee
          Hi all, first time poster here. I recently let a property and instead of placing a deposit the tenants took out deposit insurance. This is the first time I've done this. Apparently it's a new thing and becoming quite popular. I think the policy was sold to the tenants by the letting agent and the letting...
          14-01-2021, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by Milzee
          Yes I'll keep you posted. Probably why it's taken 7 months to get this far....
          27-01-2021, 12:24 PM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by theartfullodger
          Sue tenant and agent for your loss?? If either of them wishes to make an insurance claim, that's up to them.

          I've always felt these deposit schemes/scams are going to come unstuck.
          27-01-2021, 10:57 AM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by jpkeates
          The arbitrator for a dispute on a conventional deposit would normally be the company protecting the deposit.

          I'd be very interested in who else provides a service like that - demand must be tiny.
          And I don't see any benefit to the tenant in agreeing to arbitration.
          27-01-2021, 10:37 AM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by Milzee
          Yes it's an independent arbitrator. Presumably the same one they would use for a dispute on conventional deposit. According to the blurb:

          "The tenant is still able to challenge any dilapidations through an
          independent third party arbitrator and we will consider the view of...
          26-01-2021, 15:51 PM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by jpkeates
          Who is going to arbitrate?

          A conventional deposit scheme is an independent 3rd party who are (essentially) licensed by the state to perform a function and, therefore, have an interest in being able to demonstrate that they are performing their function adequately.

          A property...
          26-01-2021, 15:04 PM
        • Reply to Deposit insurance claim
          by Milzee
          So I've just found it's not an actual insurance scheme. It's a no deposit scheme underwritten by the agency themselves based on the tenant's credit rating and, subject to the usual arbitration process if the tenant disputes any claim. That's not how it was explained to me originally but as always the...
          26-01-2021, 13:24 PM
        • Block insurance
          by Stewart Morris
          Hi all,

          This is my first post so I apologise if this topic is covered somewhere.

          Recently there was water coming into my tenant's flat. The block has shared gas/electric and water supplies for each flat in each block (there is one boiler in an outside enclosure for each block...
          18-01-2021, 18:08 PM
        • Reply to Block insurance
          by Gordon999
          The general information on making a claim , can be obtained by visit to the nearest County Court or you can read on the website at :

          The fee starts from £35 for small claims and rises to £70 for claims below £1000....
          26-01-2021, 03:07 AM
        • Reply to Block insurance
          by Stewart Morris
          Thanks Gordon - apologies for delay in responding. The amount is rather small but how do I find the name of the adjacent owner? I seem to remember you can pay a small fee to a government agency?

          25-01-2021, 20:17 PM