Insuring properties as non-resident landlord

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insuring properties as non-resident landlord


    As of this year I have became a non-resident landlord, since I left the UK pernamently. I got the quotation for the renewal from direct insurance, but after reading the policy I figured out two things. First of all it was only for UK residents, and secondly it wouldn`t cover the sub-letting ( I rent 1 of the flats to the company which sublets it for rooms on a longterm basis). My question is what are my options. I found an information that I should get in touch with the insurance broker. I have found some companies online but I would highly appreciate if you could give me some names of reliable companies you used in the past.



    Usually the "buildings insurance cover" for a block of leasehold flats is paid through the service charge account. The insurance cover for landlord's effects inside the flat and accident liability is probably a separate policy under your name and you need to show a UK address in case of making a claim. Can you give address as c/o your letting agent address ?

    If you are letting by rooms, the property need a HMO licence from your local council.


      I was a non-resident LL for many years prior to returning to the UK last year. If you're trying to go through a high street chain like direct, you'll find yourself out of luck for pretty much any kind of insurance (including car insurance BTW so watch that if you intend to drive any non-rental vehicle when back in the UK (and incidentally won't be able to renew your photocard driving license legally when it expires)).

      I used Discount Insurance who deal specifically with LLs and they were aware that I was overseas. Seemed to be fine although I never had to make a claim while overseas. I did read the small print though and did not find any residence clauses on the policies I was sold.

      However, things might be changing if you have moved to the EU. I had a bank account in the UK and that was one thing they were looking for in a non-resident LL. As of Jan 1st, it seems UK citizens living in the EU will not be able to maintain a bank account in the UK. (see here so that might affect things.

      Also, if you're British and have, as you say, left the UK permanently, you will no longer be domiciled here which will have legal implications for tax and the validity and execution of your will in the UK if you intend to hang on to your property and will it to someone. Sadly, I know this area of law in detail from the last six years of legal battles over my late mother's estate.


        Thanks Gordon for you reply. I own 2 freehold flats in Scotland. The address wouldn`t be a problem I have many friends leaving pernamently in the UK, but I find it pointless tbh to use a insurance if there is a residency clause in the fine print. They are very happy to take money when everything is ok, but when things go south I assume they are trying to everything they can not to pay. I don`t actually sublet it, I rent it to the company which business is to sub-let. I wasn`t very convinced with the idea, HMO being one of the facts, but my agent has told me he will put the clause insinde the agreement that no more then 4 people can leave it in any given time ( large HMO in Scotland starts from 5 people).

        Thanks tatemono, I will check what they have to offer. I moved back to Poland after being a tax resident in the UK for 4 years. I left the UK pernamently on April 2020 so I have to register as non-landlord resident with HMRC, and fill NRL1 form. Thanks for the information about the Barclays, I wasn`t aware of the situation, thats pretty bad. Atm I have a UK address under my account, that`s probably the reason they didin`t get in touch with me, I need to think what to do about it.

        Actually I had a bad situation in one of my flats. It had been flooded from the upstairs. It turned out that the landlord above me didn`t maintain the drainage system, what caused a blockage and ruined the walls in the living room and bedroom. After a lot of struggle it had been handled by the building factor, and the landlord living above have been charged for the repairs.


        Latest Activity


        • How can your stated occupation affect your buildings insurance as a landlord?
          by inthelandlordzone

          I derive MOST of my income from rooms in a property that I rent out

          However, I do earn SOME money as a musican

          An accountant suggests I register myself as a self employed musician as this means i can pay much lower NI contributions toward state pension year...
          20-01-2021, 16:21 PM
        • Reply to How can your stated occupation affect your buildings insurance as a landlord?
          by theartfullodger
          I very much doubt ALL insurers have exactly the SAME rules a processes over occupation
          20-01-2021, 18:08 PM
        • Block insurance
          by Stewart Morris
          Hi all,

          This is my first post so I apologise if this topic is covered somewhere.

          Recently there was water coming into my tenant's flat. The block has shared gas/electric and water supplies for each flat in each block (there is one boiler in an outside enclosure for each block...
          18-01-2021, 18:08 PM
        • Reply to Block insurance
          by Gordon999
          Try to recover your repair costs from adjacent flat owner using the Small Claims Court.
          19-01-2021, 03:20 AM
        • Insurance problem
          by pebblepebble
          I have just been told by my insurance agent that current insurance company have refused to insure again due to the illegal occupiers currently living there. He said of all the others he contacted only one would give a quote - this was hugely inflated and had exclusions which I am not happy about....
          15-01-2021, 14:39 PM
        • Reply to Insurance problem
          by pebblepebble
          Because two different solicitors have not suggested that course of action. Eviction is currently in progress and the current insurers are paying for that.

          The tenants were living there for the first three months of missed rent (and the brother was staying with them). We had all the excuses,...
          16-01-2021, 17:18 PM
        • Reply to Insurance problem
          by DPT57
          If the tenants are not living there, you could have served a common law Notice to Quit to end their tenancy 10 months ago. Unless the current occupiers can show that they have a valid sub-tenancy, they would be trespassers and could have been removed then. Why has it taken all this time?
          16-01-2021, 16:52 PM
        • Reply to Insurance problem
          by pebblepebble
          They were given the keys by the tenant's brother who stayed on for a while after the tenants moved. No rent paid for over 10 months.

          Edited to add tenants moved out last June....
          15-01-2021, 19:15 PM
        • Reply to Insurance problem
          by theartfullodger
          How " illegal occupiers """? How did they gain access please? Who permitted it, who provided keys (or not..), and have you accepted rent from them or not, please?
          15-01-2021, 19:05 PM
        • Reply to Insurance problem
          by pebblepebble
          No it wasn't me, this is my only post on the subject and I only found out today. It's not a rent to rent scheme or HMO just two men living there who aren't the tenants.

          Yes to the eviction process - I had the review hearing this week and waited three months for that. The insurance company...
          15-01-2021, 17:48 PM