Leak from upstairs - excess £5,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
    Sorry but a person should not make assertions about things they do not understand-is your doctor qualified or a person who likes to speculate about yiur health using guess work?
    This is a forum, where people offer advice.
    You'd be mad to take personal medical advice from a forum.

I am not a plumber, but the question isn't about plumbing.
    It's about insurance and the liability of people living in blocks of flats.
    I know quite a lot about that.

If you don't agree with my posts, feel free to say so.
    But questioning my right to have an opinion doesn't make a lot of sense.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      I am writing this on behalf of another landlord. There was a water leak from upstairs. Insurance were notified, but the excess was £5,000. This is in high end tower block, but rather dated.

Who pays for the repair for water leak?
      As stated elsewhere the excess comes from the service charge as landlord insures comprehensively.
      Anyone who has a claim denied due to lack of negligence or act of God needs to find a new insurer.
      We use Aviva flats policy and water leaks are the most common cause of claim and I have never had them try to blame a dodgyplumber or malevolent deity.
      That's why you have cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
        That's why you have cover.
        Except that is not what happens in practice. After 3 or 4 water leak related claims your insurer (and any other insurer you try) will exclude all water related claims from the policy - or set the water claims excess at £20,000.

So effectively you will have no cover. Whatever the obligation of FH to insure, there will be no cover.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          This is a forum, where people offer advice.
          You'd be mad to take personal medical advice from a forum.

I am not a plumber, but the question isn't about plumbing.
          It's about insurance and the liability of people living in blocks of flats.
          I know quite a lot about that.

If you don't agree with my posts, feel free to say so.
          But questioning my right to have an opinion doesn't make a lot of sense.
          I differ from you in that I would not offer advice or an opinion in areas where I lack either expertise and/or experience.However if an owner fits own pipework and omit inserts this is surely negligent ie should have employed a qualified plumber.I have trained and qualified as a plumber and therefore can offer definitive advice and not guesswork.If you wish to indulge in guesswork from time to time I will not upset you by challenging what you write.

Comment

I differ from you in that I would not offer advice or an opinion in areas where I lack either expertise and/or experience. However if an owner fits own pipework and omit inserts this is surely negligent ie should have employed a qualified plumber.I have trained and qualified as a plumber and therefore can offer definitive advice and not guesswork.If you wish to indulge in guesswork from time to time I will not upset you by challenging what you write.
            The question is not about plumbing, it's a question is about insurance, liability and responsibility in a shared building.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sorry but a person should not make assertions about things they do not understand-is your doctor qualified or a personnwho likes to speculate about yiur health using guess work?
              You don't have the option to assess the standard of replies from other forum members, you can discuss the technicalities of replies, but don’t get into questioning another member’s credibility.

These are discussion forums where members have a wide variety of knowledge and expertise, but as with many other public forums, someone seeking free advice from a number of strangers should be very careful in how they apply that advice.
              I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

See the stickies in the 'insurance questions' forum;

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...eaks-in-Flats=

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building insurance
                  by Stacker
                  Has the government suggested or offered any COVID 19 incentives to people for the building insurance since we have been in lock down this year and how come they have increased it by 20%?
                  24-10-2020, 18:33 PM
                • Reply to Building insurance
                  by ATC
                  The premiums (or to be grammatically correct premia) have risen for two reasons firstly because general insurers were losing money at the rate of £102 for every £100 of premium that they received and secondly because in the past they have taken their premia and invested and make returns. Now the rate...
                  25-10-2020, 06:46 AM
                • Insuring properties as non-resident landlord
                  by makan18
                  Hi,

As of this year I have became a non-resident landlord, since I left the UK pernamently. I got the quotation for the renewal from direct insurance, but after reading the policy I figured out two things. First of all it was only for UK residents, and secondly it wouldn`t cover the sub-letting...
                  19-10-2020, 00:41 AM
                • Reply to Insuring properties as non-resident landlord
                  by makan18
                  Thanks Gordon for you reply. I own 2 freehold flats in Scotland. The address wouldn`t be a problem I have many friends leaving pernamently in the UK, but I find it pointless tbh to use a insurance if there is a residency clause in the fine print. They are very happy to take money when everything is...
                  23-10-2020, 22:05 PM
                  by tatemono
                  I was a non-resident LL for many years prior to returning to the UK last year. If you're trying to go through a high street chain like direct, you'll find yourself out of luck for pretty much any kind of insurance (including car insurance BTW so watch that if you intend to drive any non-rental vehicle...
                  20-10-2020, 08:22 AM
                • Reply to Is student insurance usually a lot more expensive?
                  by benjamin12P
                  Lots on, I do think that they can jack up they prices whenever they want. It all depends on an agreement, you've been signing up.
                  19-10-2020, 12:14 PM
                • Is student insurance usually a lot more expensive?
                  by Lots on
                  I only have 2 properties. One a 3 bed house occupied by a family. Price of insurance: £160 pa. Another a 3 bed flat occupied by students: £350 pa. I have shopped around and not really found anything cheaper. And have they jacked up prices for student lets lately due to covid?...
                  08-10-2020, 18:39 PM
                  by Gordon999
                  Usually the "buildings insurance cover" for a block of leasehold flats is paid through the service charge account. The insurance cover for landlord's effects inside the flat and accident liability is probably a separate policy under your name and you need to show a UK address in case...
                  19-10-2020, 08:40 AM
                • Reply to Is student insurance usually a lot more expensive?
                  by Lots on
                  No it’s not buildings insurance it’s the landlord insurance, the buildings insurance is taken out by the freeholder....
                  17-10-2020, 17:35 PM
                • Leasehold property to be insured by leaseholders
                  by Anna1985
                  Hi, I'm co freeholder and dealing with the wonderful leaseholder who thinks his property exists outside the building in another dimension.

So FFs requested the leaseholder to provide a copy of the insurance policy within 21 days. Lease saying the policy should be provided when requested...
                  17-10-2020, 08:54 AM
                Working...
                X