Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas boiler insurance

Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me.
    Just wondered if anyone had any experience with such insurances ?

thanks

The problem with such insurances is that they always seem to discover spurious problems when they carry out your service.

Comment

I'd be surprised if you managed to get a policy for £100, plus they will ask how old the boiler is, I spend around £350 on getting the policy, it's piece of mind, and if they do have issues they always happen during winter when the prices of a local person goes up, and you don't have to spend 3 days trying to find someone. It wont be covered if there is an existing problem so better to get it when it's working.

Comment

I have a British Gas policy on one of my lets at £23.50 pcm. It gets me unlimited call outs and a gas certificate. The particularly difficult but good paying tenant was convinced my plumbers were trying to kill her and her children and she would never agree a time to let them in yet want endless repairs to a newish boiler. BG seem to have solved all this for me. I put the rent up to cover the cost. Well worth it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Insurance claim question
            by Moderator2
            You ask a question like that, yet it is often likely that LLZ cannot support having the names posted, as explained in the forum rules....
            24-09-2020, 15:46 PM
          • Insurance claim question
            by George V
            Advice needed please:

I put a claim in with my insurers for malicious damage after tenant surrendered their tenancy. The claim was for a few bits and bobs (e.g. damage to walls, kitchen unit, floorboard etc.).

The claim management company, in their wisdom, has turned round...
            15-08-2020, 08:35 AM
          • Reply to Insurance claim question
            by George V
            The total loss (over two claims) was below 1k and so I have pretty much given up on pursuing this but not excluded (as I complained with the company) going to ombundsman.

The insurer was {Name Removed} (apparently left market), arranged through CIA but claim handling company was {Name Removed}....
            24-09-2020, 12:18 PM
          • Leak from upstairs - excess £5,000
            by Flashback1966
            I am writing this on behalf of another landlord. There was a water leak from upstairs. Insurance were notified, but the excess was £5,000. This is in high end tower block, but rather dated.

Who pays for the repair for water leak?...
            19-09-2020, 11:34 AM
          • Reply to Leak from upstairs - excess £5,000
            by boletus
            See the stickies in the 'insurance questions' forum;

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...eaks-in-Flats=
            21-09-2020, 16:16 PM
            by Moderator2
            You don't have the option to assess the standard of replies from other forum members, you can discuss the technicalities of replies, but don’t get into questioning another member’s credibility.

These are discussion forums where members have a wide variety of knowledge and expertise,...
            21-09-2020, 15:57 PM
            by jpkeates
            The question is not about plumbing, it's a question is about insurance, liability and responsibility in a shared building....
            21-09-2020, 15:06 PM
            by gnvqsos
            I differ from you in that I would not offer advice or an opinion in areas where I lack either expertise and/or experience.However if an owner fits own pipework and omit inserts this is surely negligent ie should have employed a qualified plumber.I have trained and qualified as a plumber and therefore...
            21-09-2020, 15:02 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Except that is not what happens in practice. After 3 or 4 water leak related claims your insurer (and any other insurer you try) will exclude all water related claims from the policy - or set the water claims excess at £20,000.

So effectively you will have no cover. Whatever the obligation...
            21-09-2020, 10:21 AM
            by Section20z
            As stated elsewhere the excess comes from the service charge as landlord insures comprehensively.
            Anyone who has a claim denied due to lack of negligence or act of God needs to find a new insurer.
            We use Aviva flats policy and water leaks are the most common cause of claim and I have never...
            21-09-2020, 09:45 AM
          Working...
          X