Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas boiler insurance

Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me.
    Just wondered if anyone had any experience with such insurances ?

thanks

The problem with such insurances is that they always seem to discover spurious problems when they carry out your service.

Comment

I'd be surprised if you managed to get a policy for £100, plus they will ask how old the boiler is, I spend around £350 on getting the policy, it's piece of mind, and if they do have issues they always happen during winter when the prices of a local person goes up, and you don't have to spend 3 days trying to find someone. It wont be covered if there is an existing problem so better to get it when it's working.

Comment

I have a British Gas policy on one of my lets at £23.50 pcm. It gets me unlimited call outs and a gas certificate. The particularly difficult but good paying tenant was convinced my plumbers were trying to kill her and her children and she would never agree a time to let them in yet want endless repairs to a newish boiler. BG seem to have solved all this for me. I put the rent up to cover the cost. Well worth it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by AndrewDod
            I guess the only point ever to insure is if

a) You think they have calculated a too-low premiums based on the (correct) information you gave (extremely rare) so that you will statistically "win"

b) If the event (if it occurs) will be life changing. Like medical travel...
            11-07-2020, 18:14 PM
          • Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by oi2004as
            Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
            "The...
            11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
            by Section20z
            Insurance can never pay out more than it takes in premiums so you're on a hiding to nothing. The only way you'll ever win on insurance is if you have below average luck, but in that case you'd probably also find you'd forgotten to pay the premium 🤔
            11-07-2020, 18:04 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Yes, RG insurance is pretty much a waste of time. And this is a ludicrous clause at so many levels. I'd drop the policy....
            11-07-2020, 17:56 PM
            by Beswick
            Contact an insurance broker and get their opinion. They should be quite knowledgeable, plus you've got the backup of their professional indemnity insurance and the Ombudsman if they sell you a policy that doesn't suit your needs.
            11-07-2020, 12:54 PM
            by DPT57
            I think its one of the reasons why no experienced landlord I know takes out rent guarantee insurance
            11-07-2020, 12:42 PM
          • Insurance broker relationship
            by Stacker
            If the company is the freeholder called the principal and the directors called its agents. Could an insurance broker be called an agent of the company also and would the insurance broker owe fiduciary duties to the company?
            07-07-2020, 19:02 PM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by Section20z
            desamax,

More likely there was a big claim and the renewal went up so the only way to get reasonable cover was to accept a high excess.
            You can ask for claims history but I doubt they would tell you it had been declined, they don't normally decline renewals,. Just put price up so...
            06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
          • Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
            17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            I think the present insurers are perfectly reputable. I cant see that there is a way of ascertaining that the previous insurer declined. Companies are fickle and they do from time to time exit specific types of cover....
            06-07-2020, 08:53 AM
          Working...
          X