Leaseholder wants to use a keysafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaseholder wants to use a keysafe

I am a director of a leasehold company which comprises six flats in a converted house.

A felllow director and leaseholder keeps the key to the main building and his flat hidden (relatively well) in the communal vault where the dustbins are kept. My questions are:

1) Should a burglar gain access to these keys, then gain entry into the main building and then somehow access to one of the flats with no forced sign of entry would that leaseholder’s contents cover be void?

2) We have expressed concern over the way that the keys are hidden and the leaseholder has said that he will now install a Keysafe in the communal vault. Again, should a burglar somehow gain access to the keys within the vault and subsequently get into the main building and a flat within it would that person’s contents cover be void?

Many thanks for any guidance.

If there are no forcible signs of entry to the property then you risk being uninsured for any claim that consequently occurs. A burglar finding your hidden key outside is not considered securing your property sufficiently and you will probably find you will have no cover if the said key is used to access the property.

If that key has come from a key safe then things may be different. We recently dealt with a customer who had a key safe installed and the insurer said that there would need to be signs of forcible entry to the property OR the key safe itself.

I think this will be one of those things where each insurer could have a slightly different view so I would recommend contacting your insurance company for a definitive answer.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Many thanks for the very helpful reply.

Would just like to drill down a bit further, please.

If a burglar gets the key to the main front door of the building thereby gaining access to it and then finds a flat which has left its front door open or gets in to it without forced entry would that flat’s contents insurance be invalid? I just want to see if a leaseholder who has no connection with the one leaving their key in the communal vault can have their insurance invalidated should entry be gained into the main building by a key left in the communal vault.

Many thanks.

Comment

Whilst a very valid question, it really would be something that can only be confirmed by your current insurer. My own personal opinion would be that if you are insuring 6 self-contained flats in a communal building, there must be signs of forcible to each flat for cover to be valid in that flat.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Many thanks for the very helpful reply - much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X