Public liability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public liability

My builder has asked ME to start a claim on HIS public liability insurance. The claim is for damage to my property caused by him essentially.

Never heard of this. Why would he request this (apart from overcoming him paying the excess)and os it even possible.

Thank

Up to him to claim but doubt they'll cover it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
      Up to him to claim but doubt they'll cover it anyway
      What do you mean you dou t theyl cover it. Cover what?

Comment

Errr , damage to your property.
        If he has damaged something then ask him to fix it.

Comment

Perhaps you better go view your property! If a builders saying that it don’t sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post
            Perhaps you better go view your property! If a builders saying that it don’t sound good.
            Its a long story .in a nutshell he did some work .it started failing a few weeks later .

He wasnt available to return so confirmed by email he will pay the bill for another builder.

Sent him the bill.now he says its too much (its very reasonable bill). So wants to take it through insurance

Comment

Your claim is against the builder. You have no relationship with his insurer. It's up to him to make a claim against his own insurance.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

You can't claim on someone else's insurance.
                If he wants to claim he needs to find out what he has to do to start the claim.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Normally the insurance company will only consider claims from the policy holder named on the policy agreement .

You have to send your claim to the builder who then passes the claim to his insurance company for settlement .

Comment

Your builder will then need to contact his insurance company to make the claim not you. To keep things formal you could write a letter/email to your builder holding him responsible for the damage as this may help him pursue the claim but ultimately it is down to him and not you to sort this situation out.
                    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
                    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
                    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Originally posted by ashburnham View Post
                      Your builder will then need to contact his insurance company to make the claim not you. To keep things formal you could write a letter/email to your builder holding him responsible for the damage as this may help him pursue the claim but ultimately it is down to him and not you to sort this situation out.
                      Surely it is you not the tenant who has to sort this out. Its your building. Under normal circumstances you would send a Chartered Surveyor to inspect the damage, (and while I was at it have s Schedule of Dilapidations done) get 3 quotes and send the bill to your tenant suggesting that he send the bill to his insurance company.
                      Do you not have the place insured as you would claim off your insurance and they would claim off your tenants insurance.

Comment

No one has mentioned tenant sorting anything. Property owner here has been asked by his builder to make the claim. Tenant has nothing to do with this unless his personal belongings are part of the damage (and of course to allow access to the property as and when required to inspect/repair damage).
                        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
                        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
                        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X