RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction

I have been looking at the recent posts re landlords having occupants struggling to pay and have a question please

I have an existing RGI policy valid for another 5-6 months but looking on line what direct line are saying it won't pay out anyway - unless there is an existing claim being paid.

Direct Line mention “During this three-month period we cannot pay any new rent guarantee claims as there is no legal mechanism to allow us to take a claim forward." I'm not sure if the same is true for all providers.

So if an occupant begins to struggle with payments do you think agreeing a payment holiday or taking reduced rent would invalidate any future RGI claim?

All the best Stew

I think the present situation has shown RGI to be as much use as a chocolate teapot when you really need it. I can see nothing happening to change my view.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, Direct Line sent a communication this morning stating they would not pay any new claims for the next three months..... so I assume there must be some small print in the policy that allows them escape from the obligation

However it also says they will renew the policy but please be patient as the phones line are busy.....

And the point of renewing when they won't honour any claims............

Comment

Where does it say in the Direct Line T&C's that there must be in current law a mechanism for them to do something? Or does one need to pick insurers who are not just wanglers, villians, transgresors, wrongdoers (which DIRECT LINE DEFINITELY are not in any shape or form according to their press release which does not mention they are any of these things) or as many other non-libelous synonyms I can find.

Yet another reason never to think that rent guarantee insurance is worth much.

I'll drop this company for my general insurance from now on given their inclination to pull these sorts of stunts.

It seems that the current situation and government approach is providing a free licence for crooks to do crooking from all directions. Let's hope they can turn the tap off later.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew View Post
          Direct Line mention “During this three-month period we cannot pay any new rent guarantee claims as there is no legal mechanism to allow us to take a claim forward." I'm not sure if the same is true for all providers.
          I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?
            Ah, well that's the point I made in another thread. They aim to issue a s8 asap, the tenant puts in a defence and cover is then withdrawn. The most rent you can expect is a few weeks while papers go back & forth. That there is now a 3 month moratorium on evictions is effectively a defence!

Comment

Hi I will get the email and post the exact wording if that won't get me in trouble? the insurance company seemed to be suggesting that because BTL can get a mortgage payment holiday that this route they should be following,, personally I don't see how that impacts. You have bought insurance and if the policy does not have an exclusion for situtions of a global pandemic or a state of emergency then they should be paying.

This also goes against the defence the government is giving for not helping landlords, I am sure I have seen it quoted in communications that many landlords will be fine as they have insurance that protects against lost rent.

I class it the same as when I took out building insurance it states clearly what the exclusions are.

All the best Stew

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance premiums going through the roof
                by flyingfreehold
                Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
                17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
              • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
                by desamax
                Our excess have been increased, the 'escape of water' one is now 5K from £250 all others have doubled. This is a mixed use property all sold off on long leases. we have a feeling our landlord has had the insurance declined by the long standing insurer and we now have some unknown underwriter, the policy...
                04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
              • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                by Rincewind
                yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
                29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
              • Leasehold Second Home insurance
                by Rincewind
                Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
                27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
              • Building Insurance
                by hexu
                The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
                30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
              • Reply to Building Insurance
                by hexu
                Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
                27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
              • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                by Section20z
                I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
                Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
                You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
                27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
              • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
                by jpkeates
                A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
                23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
              • Gas boiler insurance
                by blinko
                Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
                21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
              • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
                by flyingfreehold
                Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
                23-06-2020, 04:23 AM
              Working...
              X