Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance for listed building (category A) in Edinburgh

Hi there!

I'm a new member, but have had a residential letting for about 4 years in Edinburgh which is a category A. The property is in good condition and there's nothing unusual about myself or the property. However, I've struggled to find insurance through the majority of insurance comparison sites/main lenders. I can only ever seem to find one willing to do it, but it's quite expensive and makes renewals a real negotiation every year.

A few have told me that it's because it's Grade A (England Grade I is supposedly three times rarer) they won't insure it full stop. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Grade I listed/ or Grade A (Scotland) building/content insurance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know that a lot of online quote systems (including ours) don't provide an instant quote for Grade A (or I) Listed properties so maybe avoid websites. When we get something like this, we simply need to ask a few questions so it can be manually referred to our underwriters. Simple process but has to be done over the phone so maybe call a few companies on the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory and see how you get on.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
      by Brian862107
      My insurance was coming up for renewal and what I thought was "Rent Receivable insurance" or "Rent Guarantee insurance" was actually something else (I have 'Loss of rent insurance' which covers rent in the unlikely scenario my property has fire/flood damage). My insurance is due...
      28-03-2020, 18:25 PM
    • Reply to Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
      by ashburnham
      Yes, temporarily suspended by a lot (if not all) providers due to the current situation.
      30-03-2020, 09:54 AM
    • RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
      by Stew
      I have been looking at the recent posts re landlords having occupants struggling to pay and have a question please

I have an existing RGI policy valid for another 5-6 months but looking on line what direct line are saying it won't pay out anyway - unless there is an existing claim being...
      28-03-2020, 12:25 PM
    • Reply to RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
      by Stew
      Hi I will get the email and post the exact wording if that won't get me in trouble? the insurance company seemed to be suggesting that because BTL can get a mortgage payment holiday that this route they should be following,, personally I don't see how that impacts. You have bought insurance and if the...
      29-03-2020, 20:44 PM
      by JK0
      Ah, well that's the point I made in another thread. They aim to issue a s8 asap, the tenant puts in a defence and cover is then withdrawn. The most rent you can expect is a few weeks while papers go back & forth. That there is now a 3 month moratorium on evictions is effectively a defence! ...
      29-03-2020, 19:49 PM
      by MdeB
      I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?...
      29-03-2020, 18:41 PM
      by AndrewDod
      Where does it say in the Direct Line T&C's that there must be in current law a mechanism for them to do something? Or does one need to pick insurers who are not just wanglers, villians, transgresors, wrongdoers (which DIRECT LINE DEFINITELY are not in any shape or form according to their press release...
      28-03-2020, 16:03 PM
      by Stew
      Thanks for the comments, Direct Line sent a communication this morning stating they would not pay any new claims for the next three months..... so I assume there must be some small print in the policy that allows them escape from the obligation

However it also says they will renew the...
      28-03-2020, 15:30 PM
      by JK0
      I think the present situation has shown RGI to be as much use as a chocolate teapot when you really need it. I can see nothing happening to change my view.
      28-03-2020, 13:25 PM
    • Insurance for listed building (category A) in Edinburgh
      by JDPH
      Hi there!

I'm a new member, but have had a residential letting for about 4 years in Edinburgh which is a category A. The property is in good condition and there's nothing unusual about myself or the property. However, I've struggled to find insurance through the majority of insurance comparison...
      26-03-2020, 17:36 PM
    Working...
    X