Property owners liability insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property owners liability insurance?

Hi, after a terrible experience with my last tenant I will be taking out landlords insurance to protect me against non payment of rent, malicious damage and legal expenses. My question is whether you would advise taking out property owners liability insurance to protect against claims for injuries? The property is in good condition with all the certificates required by law and I have all the appropriate licences in place.

Thanks for your time.

Assuming you already have a Buildings & Contents Insurance policy, you will probably find that it already includes Property Owners Liability Insurance. Check with your current insurer to confirm.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

The flat is freehold and we hold buildings insurance through the resident's management company. We don't have a contents insurance policy due to lack of anything of value in the property, is it possible its part of that policy? If so I'll try and get hold of the insurance details. If not I suspect I'll need to take out our own buildings and insurance policy. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chris_p_green View Post
        We don't have a contents insurance policy due to lack of anything of value in the property,
        So your flat contains no carpets, flooring, curtains, blinds, curtain poles, lamp shades etc.?

Comment

If you are noted on the buildings policy as an interested party the liability cover within may extend to you. You should also consider a contents policy also for the minimal contents you do have (carpets, curtains, furniture, etc.) as it is likely you will receive liability cover for this side of things as well.

I would therefore recommend speaking to your current buildings insurer to see what is and isn't covered that side and then look at a contents policy from your preferred provider.
          Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
          LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
          See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thank you all for the guidance. Much appreciated.

Comment

Or you could just take out propertry owners liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X