Claim or not to claim for crack which possibly could be subsidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim or not to claim for crack which possibly could be subsidence

I own a flat (Share of Freehold if it makes a difference) in a detached property which has developed a crack one of the side. My flat is at the back, above another flat owner. The crack happens to be between the main building and our flats. It is big gap from top and comes all the way down getting smaller. Reading up on it and talking to some surveyors it lead us to believe it is subsidence. We need to establish firstly if it is subsidence and if it is how much it will cost.

Our dilemma is should we go to insurance for claim.
    As we(rest of the 4 flat owners) are told and read the implications of putting a subsidence claim on the insurance record can be detrimental, and the property is marked for life.

At this moment one the flat owner has got acquainted with a surveyor who is contracted by his work place. He normally does commercial building but has agreed to visit the property to give his professional(non binding) opinion, understand it will be advisory not written. This could pave the way to decide whether we should call a surveyor and give us the full professional written report or shall we go direct to insurance for claim, depending on the cost.

My Q is
    1) if we go to insurance for claim how much detrimental it is for the future? Has any one gone through it themselves and if yes how long is the process and are there implications of it if any.

2) If don't claim and go for it our selves(Share five way might lessen the finance load), then under the terms we still have to inform the insurance for this type of work. If it is subsidence, will by telling the insurance, is the property going to be marked on record anyway or not?

Much appreciated.

Claiming for subsidence is a drawn out process where they look at what might be causing it - any large trees nearby, any faulty drains, what type of soil? You are going to have to declare any work done and anyone looking to sell in future is going to need reassurance that the work has been done properly. Best to get your insurers involved from the beginning as the work, if covered, is likely to be expensive.

You refer to a "main building" and your flats - were the same materials used in both parts of the building and were they built at the same time? You could be in for a long argument about building standards and materials.

The problem with my property turned out not to be subsidence. You will need a structural engineer's report, not a surveyor and your insurer should obtain one.

Comment

You have to do what is right for the building. By all means get some informal advice. You are worried about the property being marked for life, but a property which has had say underpinning will be better in my opinion, as lightening can't strike twice!.

The insurance company will send their surveyor to investigate the matter. You may have to pay higher premium during renewal. It may need minor or major repair. It is important to keep the paperwork in relation to this matter (it will be needed when you sell the property).

Comment

You may also have problems obtaining alternative insurance quotations if there is a subsidence claim.

It is sensible to obtain soime informal advice. If the advice is it is subsidence then there is no option you need to advise insurers failure to do so may prejudice a claim in the future.

Comment

In front of your flats; has the ground been paved in the last twenty years? if the soil has become desiccated it will shrink, whereas if drainage into the ground is improved; concrete or patio replaced with gravel, the soil may swell sufficiently to close up the crack that you describe that is opening like a hinge

Comment

No it is grass which is a large part two cars could easily park in it. Apart for path to walk to the entrances is concreted over.

New roof 4yrs ago enabled us to have new guttering which is draining ok.

Comment

I would suggest bringing in your own private structural engineer to provide a report. If he thinks it is subsidence he can represent you in a claim and the insurers will almost certainly pay his fees and use him for the tendering of remediation. There are small practices all over the country and I think that if the ground in front is grass you have got a problem and you should get on with getting advice. Worst case is that it is not subsidence but poorly built and either settlement or the crack is opening up due to some construction defect. If you are in the South of England I can speak highly of this firm https://chessstructural.co.uk/ but if not have a look at their website and find a similar small firm of consulting structural engineering firms in your locality

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
                by Brian862107
                My insurance was coming up for renewal and what I thought was "Rent Receivable insurance" or "Rent Guarantee insurance" was actually something else (I have 'Loss of rent insurance' which covers rent in the unlikely scenario my property has fire/flood damage). My insurance is due...
                28-03-2020, 18:25 PM
              • Reply to Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
                by ashburnham
                Yes, temporarily suspended by a lot (if not all) providers due to the current situation.
                30-03-2020, 09:54 AM
              • Reply to RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
                by Stew
                Hi I will get the email and post the exact wording if that won't get me in trouble? the insurance company seemed to be suggesting that because BTL can get a mortgage payment holiday that this route they should be following,, personally I don't see how that impacts. You have bought insurance and if the...
                29-03-2020, 20:44 PM
              • RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
                by Stew
                I have been looking at the recent posts re landlords having occupants struggling to pay and have a question please

I have an existing RGI policy valid for another 5-6 months but looking on line what direct line are saying it won't pay out anyway - unless there is an existing claim being...
                28-03-2020, 12:25 PM
                by JK0
                Ah, well that's the point I made in another thread. They aim to issue a s8 asap, the tenant puts in a defence and cover is then withdrawn. The most rent you can expect is a few weeks while papers go back & forth. That there is now a 3 month moratorium on evictions is effectively a defence! ...
                29-03-2020, 19:49 PM
                by MdeB
                I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?...
                29-03-2020, 18:41 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Where does it say in the Direct Line T&C's that there must be in current law a mechanism for them to do something? Or does one need to pick insurers who are not just wanglers, villians, transgresors, wrongdoers (which DIRECT LINE DEFINITELY are not in any shape or form according to their press release...
                28-03-2020, 16:03 PM
                by Stew
                Thanks for the comments, Direct Line sent a communication this morning stating they would not pay any new claims for the next three months..... so I assume there must be some small print in the policy that allows them escape from the obligation

However it also says they will renew the...
                28-03-2020, 15:30 PM
                by JK0
                I think the present situation has shown RGI to be as much use as a chocolate teapot when you really need it. I can see nothing happening to change my view.
                28-03-2020, 13:25 PM
              Working...
              X