Rent guarantee insurance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent guarantee insurance needed

Hi all. My insurance provider has notified me that they no longer offer the above policy for landlords based overseas. Does anyone know any decent insurers who can provide this to a Brit living overseas, on a property in the UK? Thanks in advance.

I'd talk to a broker.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'd forget about it IIWY. These companies will weasel out of paying, if tenant defends eviction.

Comment

Take a look at the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building Insurance
          by hexu
          The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
          30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
        • Reply to Building Insurance
          by hexu
          As ATC said, it exists....
          31-05-2020, 13:30 PM
          by hexu
          Thank you for your advice. I would thought the freeholder would suggest a Deed of Variation before sending any of his bills to me, but he didn't.

I do worry if I agree to make a variation and pay insurance to the developer, the cost of building insurance (commercial) will increase more...
          31-05-2020, 13:26 PM
          by hexu
          Thank you for your suggestion. I want to sell it indeed, but any potential buyers would have to pay building insurance themselves in order to get a mortgage. I am not sure if I am in a position to sell my flat even if I give the money to the freeholder?...
          31-05-2020, 12:55 PM
          by ATC
          It is not that uncommon, especially in leases originally granted from before about 1967, or granted by reference to a lease from the 50s or early 60s. Typically the lessee would be obligated to have the lessor as joint insured, and the covenant is to insure the demised flat for the full reinstatement...
          31-05-2020, 08:33 AM
          by doobrey
          This seems unusual. Does the lease confirm this?

Leasehold properties that I have owned have been insured by the freeholder. I presumed - rightly or wrongly - that it pretty much had to work this way (e.g. because the property ultimately belongs to the freeholder)....
          31-05-2020, 08:24 AM
          by ATC
          I dont agree with section 20z's remarks. Get a local solicitor to write to the freeholder and point out that the lease specifies an arrangement at variance with what they are promoting.
          31-05-2020, 08:18 AM
          by Section20z
          One of the drawbacks of leasehold property I'm afraid, check what your lease says and sell up and move on before starting dispute that you will have to declare to any buyer
          31-05-2020, 06:31 AM
        • Leaseholder wants to use a keysafe
          by Joubert
          I am a director of a leasehold company which comprises six flats in a converted house.

A felllow director and leaseholder keeps the key to the main building and his flat hidden (relatively well) in the communal vault where the dustbins are kept. My questions are:

1) Should...
          28-05-2020, 14:41 PM
        • Reply to Leaseholder wants to use a keysafe
          by Joubert
          Many thanks for the very helpful reply - much appreciated....
          29-05-2020, 14:12 PM
        Working...
        X