Leasehold Management - To Buy Terrorism Insurance Or Not To Buy Terrorism Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasehold Management - To Buy Terrorism Insurance Or Not To Buy Terrorism Insurance?

Does anyone have a view on this?

The lease wording doesn't explicitly compel the management company to buy terrorism cover. Instead it says that the management company's duty is:

"...insuring and keeping insured the Building and other structures at all times against all comprehensive risk applicable to a reasonably normal insurance policy covering this type of property in the full re-instatement value and such other risks as the Management Company shall reasonably decide."

Terrorism cover is proving to be pretty expensive, and the directors are undecided about whether or not they should buy it. Does anyone know if most RMCs do buy this cover, or do they not bother with it more often than not? (excluding of course cases where the lease compels them to buy it, which I believe some do)

Terrorism cover isn't currently in place and hasn't been for at least the last 6 years, but following a transition from using an external property manager to a self-managed arrangement, we're reviewing all of this stuff with a fresh pair of eyes.

Thanks

We sell a Terrorism Insurance policy for Property Owners. I would be suprised if 1 in 100 people actually ask for it. The "worth it" question is always answered with "Yes" if you need to make a claim (which is obviously unknown until it happens) or if you want peace of mind that you are covered from something like this happening. As most buildings/contents policies now exclude terrorism, this is definitely worth considering but ultimately is down to personal preference.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

I can answer that whereas owners of a single flat might not ask for terrorism cover to be bought back from the Pool insurer, terrorism cover does tend to be bought where blocks are insured through a seasoned managing agents' block policy. The reason is that terrorism is not automatically included on any commercial property insurance policy and hence when the policy extends to include blocks of flats whether one block or dozens, the block policy will by default have terrorism cover on everything albeit that terrorism is typically charged as a separate item of cover as it is bought not from the composite insurer but from Pool Re, a Government set up terrorism insurance scheme which was put into operation when the major insurers excluded terrorism cover about twenty five years ago

Comment

If the building is damaged by any act of terrorism and there is no insurance cover, the building cannot be repaired or re-instated.

Any outstanding mortgage loans still have to be repaid by the leaseholders. So buying insurance cover for terrorism is a MUST have or the directors of the management company may be sued and put at risk of bankruptcy .

Its not an option. The mortgage loan offer to new buyer is subject to the property being fully insured.

Comment

Agreed, but also get good quality legal cover.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
            by Stew
            Hi I will get the email and post the exact wording if that won't get me in trouble? the insurance company seemed to be suggesting that because BTL can get a mortgage payment holiday that this route they should be following,, personally I don't see how that impacts. You have bought insurance and if the...
            29-03-2020, 20:44 PM
          • RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
            by Stew
            I have been looking at the recent posts re landlords having occupants struggling to pay and have a question please

I have an existing RGI policy valid for another 5-6 months but looking on line what direct line are saying it won't pay out anyway - unless there is an existing claim being...
            28-03-2020, 12:25 PM
            by JK0
            Ah, well that's the point I made in another thread. They aim to issue a s8 asap, the tenant puts in a defence and cover is then withdrawn. The most rent you can expect is a few weeks while papers go back & forth. That there is now a 3 month moratorium on evictions is effectively a defence! ...
            29-03-2020, 19:49 PM
            by MdeB
            I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?...
            29-03-2020, 18:41 PM
          • Reply to Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
            by loanarranger
            Digging into the relevant banks site , they have made the following statement

"The spread of covid-19 could have financial consequences for many households, for example through unemployment. Even if the crisis is expected to pass, it could still have devastating effects. As a bank...
            29-03-2020, 14:50 PM
          • Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
            by Hooper
            My lender has said that that aid in the form of a payment holiday is limited to landlords with less than a threshold number of properties but I cannot find any mention of this. I have less than ten but apparently do not qualify. They were vague but suggested it was two or three. Anyone else heard of...
            28-03-2020, 10:38 AM
          • Reply to Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
            by loanarranger
            Good morning Hooper , firstly thanks for the PM reaffirming who the lender is , the simple fact is that they are a lender that offers funding invariably at different rates depending on the client , with one local branch possibly operating differently to another.

Whilst I believe the spirit...
            29-03-2020, 10:06 AM
          • Reply to Insurance being cancelled
            by Stew
            When doing a refurb I got unoccupied property insurance with SAGIC they were really cost effective and just said I had to visit once a week to maintain insurance cover
            28-03-2020, 20:47 PM
          • Insurance being cancelled
            by nbhamilt
            So Direct Line have told me that they are going to cancel the policy as teh flat is empty for too long (following damage to the property by a former tenant they wont cover me, or for each room there is £200 excess). Given the age of the bathrooms and kitchen (and damage), they are being replaced, but...
            27-03-2020, 16:53 PM
          • Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
            by Brian862107
            My insurance was coming up for renewal and what I thought was "Rent Receivable insurance" or "Rent Guarantee insurance" was actually something else (I have 'Loss of rent insurance' which covers rent in the unlikely scenario my property has fire/flood damage). My insurance is due...
            28-03-2020, 18:25 PM
          Working...
          X