Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent insurance .

Is it straight forward ?
    You get rent insurance and if the tenants dont pay , the insurance company pays you .
    Is there anything that you need to be aware of or look out for .
    Or is it straight forward ?

Yeah. You give them £70, selected tenants you should never have selected, and then sit back with your feet up and watch the £10,000 cash roll in for the next 2 years as they get evicted. Life is peachy.

Comment

No , its not straight forward.

The "rent insurance cover" is only offered after the prospective tenant has passed the credit check procedures, applied by the letting agents. If you find your tenants by using online method, then you bypass the credit checks applied by letting agent working in estate agents offices on the High Street of your town or city . You probably miss out on the learning experience from the letting agent about the best ways to operate the BTL business .

Obviously if the applicant wanting to rent has no job or insufficient income to cover the rent , rates , electric and gas bill and food etc or poor payment history , its not going to happen for the applicant.

Comment

AndrewDod,

No need for sarcasm .

Comment

Gordon999,

Although you can do the credit checks online yourself these days .
          Costs £20 per check and they state whether the potential tenant can get insurance for rent guartanted

Comment

AndrewDod,

No, you can do online reference checks on any potential T for £20 and if they pass, the insurance company will accept the insurance application .

Comment

Just been reading the rental insurance small print .
              It states that you must be talking legal action against the tenants for non payment of rent .
              It also states that the insurance company will not pay for any Court action unless you have a 50 % chance of a positive outcome , like recovering the money .
              Would the insurance company say that the tenant has no money to pay the overdue rent , so they will not back the claim ?

Comment

I think you are starting to answer your own question.

Comment

Would the insurance company cover the non paid rent ?
                  I suppose that depending on if you were taking legal action against the T .
                  Would that legal action be just to evict them and/or to recover the non paid rent ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
                    by Stew
                    Hi I will get the email and post the exact wording if that won't get me in trouble? the insurance company seemed to be suggesting that because BTL can get a mortgage payment holiday that this route they should be following,, personally I don't see how that impacts. You have bought insurance and if the...
                    29-03-2020, 20:44 PM
                  • RGI and Payment Holidays/Reduction
                    by Stew
                    I have been looking at the recent posts re landlords having occupants struggling to pay and have a question please

I have an existing RGI policy valid for another 5-6 months but looking on line what direct line are saying it won't pay out anyway - unless there is an existing claim being...
                    28-03-2020, 12:25 PM
                    by JK0
                    Ah, well that's the point I made in another thread. They aim to issue a s8 asap, the tenant puts in a defence and cover is then withdrawn. The most rent you can expect is a few weeks while papers go back & forth. That there is now a 3 month moratorium on evictions is effectively a defence! ...
                    29-03-2020, 19:49 PM
                    by MdeB
                    I don't see how that stops them from paying the claim to LL, only from starting legal proceedings against the tenants.

They seem to be trying to get out of their obligations.

Perhaps you would read your policy and post any terms that might allow them to take this action?...
                    29-03-2020, 18:41 PM
                  • Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
                    by Hooper
                    My lender has said that that aid in the form of a payment holiday is limited to landlords with less than a threshold number of properties but I cannot find any mention of this. I have less than ten but apparently do not qualify. They were vague but suggested it was two or three. Anyone else heard of...
                    28-03-2020, 10:38 AM
                  • Reply to Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
                    by loanarranger
                    Digging into the relevant banks site , they have made the following statement

"The spread of covid-19 could have financial consequences for many households, for example through unemployment. Even if the crisis is expected to pass, it could still have devastating effects. As a bank...
                    29-03-2020, 14:50 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgage holiday only available to landlords under a threshold number of properties?
                    by loanarranger
                    Good morning Hooper , firstly thanks for the PM reaffirming who the lender is , the simple fact is that they are a lender that offers funding invariably at different rates depending on the client , with one local branch possibly operating differently to another.

Whilst I believe the spirit...
                    29-03-2020, 10:06 AM
                  • Reply to Insurance being cancelled
                    by Stew
                    When doing a refurb I got unoccupied property insurance with SAGIC they were really cost effective and just said I had to visit once a week to maintain insurance cover
                    28-03-2020, 20:47 PM
                  • Insurance being cancelled
                    by nbhamilt
                    So Direct Line have told me that they are going to cancel the policy as teh flat is empty for too long (following damage to the property by a former tenant they wont cover me, or for each room there is £200 excess). Given the age of the bathrooms and kitchen (and damage), they are being replaced, but...
                    27-03-2020, 16:53 PM
                  • Rent Receivable or rent guarantee insurance
                    by Brian862107
                    My insurance was coming up for renewal and what I thought was "Rent Receivable insurance" or "Rent Guarantee insurance" was actually something else (I have 'Loss of rent insurance' which covers rent in the unlikely scenario my property has fire/flood damage). My insurance is due...
                    28-03-2020, 18:25 PM
                  Working...
                  X