RTM and insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    RTM and insurance

    Hi We have won the RTM a block of 5 flats with a commercial unit on ground floor. We have set up a limited company. I am trying to sort out the insurance as the existing insurance will be cancelled in a few weeks when we take over. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer. Some brokers are saying the insurance should be in the name of the freeholder c/o us , others are saying it should be in our limited company name. I am going around in circles as so many brokers are saying different things!!

    Logicically, the owner of the building should insure it.
    The person / company that leases out the flats is normally the owner.
    The R.T.M owns nothing. It's a managing agent in effect.

    You contact the insurance company to tell them that all communications is now to be directed to the R.T.M. and you will ask then to re-quote once the current and existing policy expires.

    There is no reason for the existing policy to be cancelled, as it will still be the freeholders insurance, but now administered and paid for by the R.T.M. company.


      I have tried to get them to carry on with the existing insurance but they say no, it automatically gets cancelled the day we take over


        The existing insurance policy may be restricted to claims only from the named policy holder.

        The RTM company has a legal right to manage the building and can purchase a new insurance policy at competitive price for "block of flats policy " or "Commercial building policy".

        The RTM can arrange the name of policy holder to include the "freeholder " plus clause to state "the interests of the leaseholders and their mortgage lenders are included "


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
          by Mr. Kiplilng
          Thanks for the replies. I am in south Bucks.
          The neighbors are leaseholders and are related to the freeholder. I am talking to locals in order to get as many complaints as possible lodged with the local authority and to write to the local MP. I have also raised the issue on the fixmystreet app,...
          26-01-2020, 21:42 PM
        • Burnt out shell next door
          by Mr. Kiplilng

          Sorry if this is a bit off topic, I couldn't see a more relevant one.

          I live in a maisonette in a row above a parade of shops. My neighbors, directly adjoining, had a nasty house-fire that gutted the place but luckily nobody was injured. We were lucky enough to only have...
          23-01-2020, 22:07 PM
        • Buildings insurance
          by fence
          Hi everyone and good to join the group
          Relatively new to being a landlord so up for all advice, TIA

          My first question is...

          I am the lease holder of one of three flats
          The lease is now 70 yrs so asked the freeholder to extend
          He came back to me and offered...
          26-01-2020, 12:16 PM
        • building insurance renewal, tenant eviction in process
          by Propertygoesup
          Hi all,
          I am in the process of evicting a tenant, I paid a local solicitor £400 to serve notice which expires next week, however I don't think the tenant will be leaving on that date.
          This week I have received building insurance renewal. I'm with direct line.
          My question is, is there...
          26-01-2020, 09:09 AM
        • Reply to building insurance renewal, tenant eviction in process
          by Mrs Mug
          Yes. It can had as an add on with my insurance. But you probably won't be able to get it for an existing tenant....
          26-01-2020, 10:36 AM
        • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
          by Gordon999
          You should ask your local MP to raise the problem with your local council.
          24-01-2020, 13:11 PM
        • Reply to Is this the correct policy type for us?
          by Gordon999
          I suggest you look for a " Block of Flats" buildings insurance policy .

          The policy should include insured cover for the "re-instatement value" (= floor area x building cost per sq ft and calculated by a chartered surveyor )
          package may include "insured...
          24-01-2020, 13:08 PM
        • Is this the correct policy type for us?
          by Beresford Gatehouse
          We are a block of 10 flats, each leaseholder is a 1/10th shareholder of the freeholding and management company. Until recently we employed another company to manage the property, but we've recently reverted to doing it ourselves.

          It's time to renew our insurance, and I'm a bit worried about...
          23-01-2020, 17:46 PM
        • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
          by leaseholder64
          Are you in a London Borough or a Unitary Authority area? If so the council can do something if it is dangerous of if it is an eyesore. If not, you have two councils and I'm not sure which one is responsible for each of these functions.

          Dangerous structures are handled by building control....
          23-01-2020, 23:50 PM
        • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
          by JK0
          AST or Long Lease?
          23-01-2020, 23:48 PM