Lift insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lift insurance

    Seceral years ago, I was assured by a broker that the public liability element in the buildings insurance for a block of flats would cover injuries caused by malfunction of the lift. This week, I have been told that this is not the case, and that a separate engineering policy was necessary. Could anyone offer authoritative guidance?

    I have checked this with one of our main insurers here and they state that as long as the lift is declared and agreed (generally no problem if everything is standard), then all cover on the policy extends to include the lift.

    Every insurer is going to be different on this sort of thing. Check before you buy to ensure you have the cover that you want.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


      I think lifts are legally required to be checked every 6 months and the lift is usually covered under a maintenance contract.

      A "block of flats" insurance policy should included cover for "public liability" for accidents.

      A basic "building insurance policy" may not include cover for "public liability" but it may be an option at extra cost.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
        by Mr. Kiplilng
        Thanks for the replies. I am in south Bucks.
        The neighbors are leaseholders and are related to the freeholder. I am talking to locals in order to get as many complaints as possible lodged with the local authority and to write to the local MP. I have also raised the issue on the fixmystreet app,...
        26-01-2020, 21:42 PM
      • Burnt out shell next door
        by Mr. Kiplilng

        Sorry if this is a bit off topic, I couldn't see a more relevant one.

        I live in a maisonette in a row above a parade of shops. My neighbors, directly adjoining, had a nasty house-fire that gutted the place but luckily nobody was injured. We were lucky enough to only have...
        23-01-2020, 22:07 PM
      • Buildings insurance
        by fence
        Hi everyone and good to join the group
        Relatively new to being a landlord so up for all advice, TIA

        My first question is...

        I am the lease holder of one of three flats
        The lease is now 70 yrs so asked the freeholder to extend
        He came back to me and offered...
        26-01-2020, 12:16 PM
      • building insurance renewal, tenant eviction in process
        by Propertygoesup
        Hi all,
        I am in the process of evicting a tenant, I paid a local solicitor £400 to serve notice which expires next week, however I don't think the tenant will be leaving on that date.
        This week I have received building insurance renewal. I'm with direct line.
        My question is, is there...
        26-01-2020, 09:09 AM
      • Reply to building insurance renewal, tenant eviction in process
        by Mrs Mug
        Yes. It can had as an add on with my insurance. But you probably won't be able to get it for an existing tenant....
        26-01-2020, 10:36 AM
      • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
        by Gordon999
        You should ask your local MP to raise the problem with your local council.
        24-01-2020, 13:11 PM
      • Is this the correct policy type for us?
        by Beresford Gatehouse
        We are a block of 10 flats, each leaseholder is a 1/10th shareholder of the freeholding and management company. Until recently we employed another company to manage the property, but we've recently reverted to doing it ourselves.

        It's time to renew our insurance, and I'm a bit worried about...
        23-01-2020, 17:46 PM
      • Reply to Is this the correct policy type for us?
        by Gordon999
        I suggest you look for a " Block of Flats" buildings insurance policy .

        The policy should include insured cover for the "re-instatement value" (= floor area x building cost per sq ft and calculated by a chartered surveyor )
        package may include "insured...
        24-01-2020, 13:08 PM
      • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
        by leaseholder64
        Are you in a London Borough or a Unitary Authority area? If so the council can do something if it is dangerous of if it is an eyesore. If not, you have two councils and I'm not sure which one is responsible for each of these functions.

        Dangerous structures are handled by building control....
        23-01-2020, 23:50 PM
      • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
        by JK0
        AST or Long Lease?
        23-01-2020, 23:48 PM