Lift insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift insurance

Seceral years ago, I was assured by a broker that the public liability element in the buildings insurance for a block of flats would cover injuries caused by malfunction of the lift. This week, I have been told that this is not the case, and that a separate engineering policy was necessary. Could anyone offer authoritative guidance?

I have checked this with one of our main insurers here and they state that as long as the lift is declared and agreed (generally no problem if everything is standard), then all cover on the policy extends to include the lift.

Every insurer is going to be different on this sort of thing. Check before you buy to ensure you have the cover that you want.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

I think lifts are legally required to be checked every 6 months and the lift is usually covered under a maintenance contract.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg339.pdf

A "block of flats" insurance policy should included cover for "public liability" for accidents.

A basic "building insurance policy" may not include cover for "public liability" but it may be an option at extra cost.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X