X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing Machine leak

Hi All

QQ

I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break due to Washing machine unbalance ie Vibration. it flooded the ground floor and damage decoration and laminate floor. the upstairs flat owner is not willing to pay for damages caused and ask me to contact my insurance as we both have our own separate building insurance.

I know its hard to prove that the washing machine wastewater pipe broke due to negligence ie They did not balance the washing machine properly and my tenants were telling me the whole building was shaking when the washing machine was running. but i want to know what are my chance to able to sue the upstairs neighbor for damages caused to my flat and my Tennent furniture? Ie should i pursuit this with a solicitor

Second - Do I have any legal right due to being the share of freehold owner, I have seen the following in our lease title

"Not to do or suffer to be done upon the demised premier anything which may be or grow to be damage to the lessor or the tenant of the lessor "

Thanks All

If you have insurance ask thier advice. My insurer would fix the problem and chase who they thought liable.

Comment

Only the freeholder as a whole can take legal action in regard to breaches of the lease, and I doubt the other joint freeholder would be willing to approve the action.

Generally, I think that your chances are negligible.

Comment

Just put the whole problem in your insurer's lap. Maybe upstairs can be persuaded to reimburse your excess if you ask politely.

Comment

Normally the insurance company will only allow the named policy holder to make a claim under their insurance policy.

So you must claim the cost of repair under your own flat's policy if the "joint freeholders" are not covered under a separate insurance policy for the entire building .

The alternative way is to submit a claim in the small claims court. See comments in another thread about washing machine leak started by flashback. .

Comment

Originally posted by aminta View Post
            I know its hard to prove that the washing machine wastewater pipe broke due to negligence ie They did not balance the washing machine properly and my tenants were telling me the whole building was shaking when the washing machine was running. but i want to know what are my chance to able to sue the upstairs neighbour for damages caused to my flat and my Tenant furniture? Ie should i pursuit this with a solicitor
            I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

It's never happened before and pipes do leak.

A solicitors letter might get the upstairs neighbour to make some kind of offer regardless.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

Thanks

Comment

If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly balanced.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every time it was on and in my opinion the most probable reason behind the waste waster brokage

I know I am pushing it but what is your opinion, can I add the above two and have a credible defense in small claim court. when I had chat with builders, they highlighted that's the number one reason the wastewater break in the washing machine.

Thanks

Comment

There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
                    Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to persuade a judge were more likely than not.
                    The upstairs neighbour owed you a duty of care, so was the washing machine installed without a reasonable level of care, did that lack of care cause the pipe to break and was the flooding reasonably foreseeable as a consequence?

The letter from the neighbour admits it was the fault of the pipe, but the rest is up to debate.

If the most common cause of waste leaks is installation / balance issues, it might be hard to show it was negligent, if it's a common issue.
                    And that's where I see the biggest problem with the claim - all the tenant's got to argue is that the washing machine didn't wobble that much and the pipe just broke or came loose over time.

But there's not a lot stopping you making a claim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management agent insurance claim - forwarding on email chain?
                      adam2000
                      Hi,

Whilst not an insurance question directly, I currently have an email thread between myself and the management agent for my apartment block regarding an insurance claim that the all leaseholders were of the impression had been rejected by the insurance company. However, through my questioning...
                      22-10-2019, 07:37 AM
                    • Reply to Management agent insurance claim - forwarding on email chain?
                      AndrewDod
                      Come on --- conveying technical correspondence you have received ("an insurance claim was placed....") to someone else is not and has never been subject to any sort of copyright laws.

Using their exact words in other correspondence in your own managing agent correspondence as...
                      22-10-2019, 09:31 AM
                    • Reply to Management agent insurance claim - forwarding on email chain?
                      leaseholder64
                      The exact wording is copyrighted. There is no way of avoiding that in the UK.

You have no direct contract with the agent and presumably haven't signed a non-disclosure agreement, so I can't see they have a case against you if you paraphrase it.

Given that, I can't actually...
                      22-10-2019, 08:49 AM
                    • Building insurance combined with D&O Officers
                      Stacker
                      Its insurance renewal season! so I have been hunting around for a better deal, so far being told best to combine D&O insurance with the building insurance however who is this better for - the broker as they get a commission or is it best to get separate quotations and policies as the lease does...
                      21-10-2019, 15:55 PM
                    • Taken to court over water leak
                      Flashback1966
                      I have received a money court money claim for £2150, due to a water leak from a washing machine. The water leaked into ground floor flat.

The ground floor flat owner, is also freeholder claimed they has spoke to their insurers and were told they would be un-insurable if they made a claim....
                      25-09-2019, 13:13 PM
                    • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                      leaseholder64
                      I suspect the fact that his insurer will withdraw cover if he claims suggests that they think they are responsible for paying the claim, not the OP or their insurers.

Even if there were a trespass, I'm not sure that would have any impact on the claim for the water damage and I can't see...
                      20-10-2019, 10:33 AM
                    • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                      jpkeates
                      Water in a flat is a hazardous and non natural material?
                      20-10-2019, 09:47 AM
                    • Washing Machine leak
                      aminta
                      Hi All

QQ

I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
                      05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
                    • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                      jpkeates
                      There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
                      Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
                      07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
                    • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                      aminta
                      The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
                      07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
                    Working...
                    X