Taken to court over water leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken to court over water leak

I have received a money court money claim for £2150, due to a water leak from a washing machine. The water leaked into ground floor flat.

The ground floor flat owner, is also freeholder claimed they has spoke to their insurers and were told they would be un-insurable if they made a claim. No evidence has been provided and they say they were told verbally. They got a quote from a building company and got the ceiling fixed.

Whist there have been leaks in the past, repairs are always carried out promptly. Each flat owner insures their own flat.

The court money claim is for £2150, which seems excessive. I don't know if this is an inflated bill, with back handers.

The freeholder has never been co-operative, sometimes, have got blame for water leaks, which are unrelated to the flat and have come from the roof. For years, we suffered water leak from the roof and my ceiling fell down, but go no help. We have been out of pocket for thousand repairing the roof. After years of suffering, did they finally agreed to replace the roof. We were never compensated for our repair costs.

Question
    (1) The ground floor flat owner, bluffed his way into the flat and took photos. Has he committed a trespass. We were never informed or sought permission.
    (2) Is there a way of getting their claim history. I am suspicious, if they have made claims for other things unrelated to the water leak
    (3) How can I check if the building cost is correct?
    (4) We never saw the leak, so I don't even know if it happened or even if this an old water leak.

There's nothing you can do to stop someone making a claim.

What they'll have to show is not only that you were responsible for the leak, but that you were negligent and that a reasonably foreseeable loss arose as a consequence.
    I am not sure how they will be able to show you were negligent, photos notwithstanding.

You are presumably confident that you weren't negligent.

1 - "Bluffing your way in" somewhere isn't necessarily a trespass.
    2 - No. You could ask for it and the judge could order it, but I'd say it's unlikely, because how will it help?
    3 - The claimant will have to substantiate it. There's no requirement to mitigate the costs in this kind of case, but it should be reasonable.
    4 - Was the washing machine being used by a tenant?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Presumably he has a picture of a leaking washing machine, he still has to show you were negligent. If you have insurance you refer it to your insurers, who decide whether to fight it or not.

Comment

Water in a flat is a hazardous and non natural material?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I suspect the fact that his insurer will withdraw cover if he claims suggests that they think they are responsible for paying the claim, not the OP or their insurers.

Even if there were a trespass, I'm not sure that would have any impact on the claim for the water damage and I can't see that there could be a counter claim for more than £0.00. Leases typically have a clause allowing the other leases to enter a demised part in the case of an emergency, although there might be a question as to whether this was an emergency.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lift insurance
            by Hazzer
            Seceral years ago, I was assured by a broker that the public liability element in the buildings insurance for a block of flats would cover injuries caused by malfunction of the lift. This week, I have been told that this is not the case, and that a separate engineering policy was necessary. Could...
            06-11-2019, 13:33 PM
          • Reply to Lift insurance
            by Gordon999
            I think lifts are legally required to be checked every 6 months and the lift is usually covered under a maintenance contract.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg339.pdf

A "block of flats" insurance policy should included cover for "public liability" for accidents....
            19-11-2019, 10:40 AM
          • Flat let to students
            by ashintoms
            Hi

I am planning to let out my flat to 2 students. I am really getting confused with several policies online . I do have the following with me

1 ) Building insurance for block
            2 ) I took out another policy from justlandlords.co.uk which is TENANTED PROPERTY INSURANCE...
            15-11-2019, 08:18 AM
          • Employers Liability
            by roxytoo
            hi again. How important is it for an RTM company with 4 directors who don't employ anyone to have Employers Liability in place? I've been told its a 'very grey area'! Are the directors employess of the limited company? My broker is not pushing us to have this but another broker was?
            09-11-2019, 08:12 AM
          • Reply to Employers Liability
            by ashburnham
            The directors are indeed employees of the Limited Company. If there is more than one director/employee in the Limited Company then it is a legal obligation to have Employers Liability Insurance. This is not a "grey area", you must have this cover by law.

How you get it is entirely...
            11-11-2019, 11:28 AM
            by leaseholder64
            Weekly cleaners are normally self employed.

You will need this insurance if you ever change the light bulbs yourself, etc. It applies to volunteers, as well as paid employees.
            09-11-2019, 10:20 AM
            by Gordon999
            If your building has a "block of flats insurance policy" , you may find the insured cover includes "building re-instatement" plus "public liability" and "employee liability" thrown in at no extra charge. .

Public liability cover is good in case...
            09-11-2019, 10:17 AM
          • RTM and insurance
            by roxytoo
            Hi We have won the RTM a block of 5 flats with a commercial unit on ground floor. We have set up a limited company. I am trying to sort out the insurance as the existing insurance will be cancelled in a few weeks when we take over. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer....
            07-11-2019, 09:58 AM
          • Reply to RTM and insurance
            by Gordon999
            The existing insurance policy may be restricted to claims only from the named policy holder.

The RTM company has a legal right to manage the building and can purchase a new insurance policy at competitive price for "block of flats policy " or "Commercial building policy"....
            07-11-2019, 21:21 PM
          • Reply to RTM and insurance
            by roxytoo
            I have tried to get them to carry on with the existing insurance but they say no, it automatically gets cancelled the day we take over
            07-11-2019, 11:09 AM
          Working...
          X