Previous reference check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous reference check

Hi everyone, my tenants were referenced last year and they want to extend another year, do I have to reference them again before I sign another year or previous references would be fine ? Has anyone experienced like this? Would be grateful for any suggestion. Thanks

ive never done a re-referencing myslef - so long as as they are paying rent and no problems I woudlt think it necessary unless the mortgage or insurance requires it or if its something special to your tenancy

was everything ok last time ?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, it was ok last time.

Comment

with you saying they want to extend to another year is this an AST rollover tenacy ? some insurance companies would require references as part of the small print so double check it i were you - wouldnt like to land you in it but ive never had to re reference them myself

Comment

Thanks for info as I have found I have to re reference them.

Comment

Why do you want to sign for another year? The normal advice is to let the tenancy go periodic.

There is no statutory requirement to reference at all, and no statutory definition of what constitutes an acceptable result of referencing. Insurers and lenders may impose contractual requirements, and councils may impose local rules as part of licensing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Washing Machine leak
              aminta
              Hi All

QQ

I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
              05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
            • Reply to Washing Machine leak
              jpkeates
              There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
              Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
              07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
              aminta
              The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
              07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
              jpkeates
              If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly bala...
              07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
              aminta
              I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

Thanks...
              07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
            • insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
              JamesHopeful
              I let out an ex-council leasehold flat. As I understand is usual with leasehold, it is insured through the freeholder (which in this case is the London Borough of Tower Hamlets). The insurer is Ocaso and the insurance is subject to the general conditions of their Household Building Insurance for Local...
              17-03-2013, 11:19 AM
            • Reply to insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
              MooseCode
              JamesHopeful did you ever get to a satisfactory arrangement?

7 years later and the issue is still presenting difficulties. My wife is a Local Council Leaseholder who is subletting her flat. Her Council's Block Buidings Insurance Policy is also with Ocaso. Surprisingly it is less favourable...
              06-10-2019, 14:12 PM
              jpkeates
              I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

It's never happened before and pipes do leak.

A solicitors letter might get the upstairs neighbour to make some kind of offer regardless....
              06-10-2019, 14:04 PM
              Gordon999
              Normally the insurance company will only allow the named policy holder to make a claim under their insurance policy.

So you must claim the cost of repair under your own flat's policy if the "joint freeholders" are not covered under a separate insurance policy for the entire building...
              05-10-2019, 22:03 PM
              JK0
              Just put the whole problem in your insurer's lap. Maybe upstairs can be persuaded to reimburse your excess if you ask politely.
              05-10-2019, 19:47 PM
            Working...
            X