Clear All

• boletus
    replied
    Home owning guarantor.
    But I'd walk away.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Why do you want rent protection insurance? How do you imagine it will protect you?

How much money do they have in their bank accounts?
    What do they have to lose if they try to steal from you? (in general you don't take tenants who have nothing to lose)

I wouldn't necessarily reject them. It depends on the details not the "credit checks" which often fail to take any account of positive or negative features.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    This will be a joint tenancy won't it? They'll be jointly and severally responsible for the rent and all the other sections of the tenancy agreement. I've never used a rent protection insurance but I really can't see them accepting a student as they have no actual income only loans.

It sounds risky to me and I wouldn't accept them.

Let them find a cheaper property.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    6 months up front for a 6 month tenancy, is far better protection than referencing and insurance in my book. (Don't forget the s21 notice after 4 months.)

Leave a comment:

• Rent protection insurance for tenant with credit check but with NO reference

Hello, I'm new to being a landlord and am about to rent my flat out to one full time employed person and their student partner.

The full time employed person has passed a credit check with positive references from previous landlord, and affordability for £650.

Their partner is from the US and not yet arrived in the UK, will be in receipt of student loans, has passed a credit check with affordability of £240 (total rent for property is £890 so I put the maximum on the employed person and the remainder on the student, as advised by the credit check company rentchecks.com).

HOWEVER I do not have references for the student because they are not currently employed or renting.

I'm struggling to find a rent protection insurance that will cover this joint tenancy despite both passing credit checks, both passing affordability checks, just because I don't have a reference for the student. I don't want to use rentchecks.com own rent guarantee because I read reviews that they never pay out. I used this company for the checks as it was the only one I found that would do an international student check for someone who isn't yet in the country.

Can anyone recommend a rent protection insurance that would accept the level of checks I've got? What do people do as a reference when they're a student who hasn't rented before?

Thanks!

Questions from first time poster advice:

Q1 – Where is the rented property located? - Brighton

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this - whole flat, assured tenancy, joint tenancy

Q3 – What date did current TA start - due to start mid September

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term - 12 months

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)? - Monthly, 16th of each month

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)? Yes will be paid before they move in

Q7 – NA

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lift insurance
    by Gordon999
    I think lifts are legally required to be checked every 6 months and the lift is usually covered under a maintenance contract.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg339.pdf

A "block of flats" insurance policy should included cover for "public liability" for accidents....
    19-11-2019, 10:40 AM
  • Lift insurance
    by Hazzer
    Seceral years ago, I was assured by a broker that the public liability element in the buildings insurance for a block of flats would cover injuries caused by malfunction of the lift. This week, I have been told that this is not the case, and that a separate engineering policy was necessary. Could...
    06-11-2019, 13:33 PM
  • Flat let to students
    by ashintoms
    Hi

I am planning to let out my flat to 2 students. I am really getting confused with several policies online . I do have the following with me

1 ) Building insurance for block
    2 ) I took out another policy from justlandlords.co.uk which is TENANTED PROPERTY INSURANCE...
    15-11-2019, 08:18 AM
  • Employers Liability
    by roxytoo
    hi again. How important is it for an RTM company with 4 directors who don't employ anyone to have Employers Liability in place? I've been told its a 'very grey area'! Are the directors employess of the limited company? My broker is not pushing us to have this but another broker was?
    09-11-2019, 08:12 AM
  • Reply to Employers Liability
    by ashburnham
    The directors are indeed employees of the Limited Company. If there is more than one director/employee in the Limited Company then it is a legal obligation to have Employers Liability Insurance. This is not a "grey area", you must have this cover by law.

How you get it is entirely...
    11-11-2019, 11:28 AM
    by leaseholder64
    Weekly cleaners are normally self employed.

You will need this insurance if you ever change the light bulbs yourself, etc. It applies to volunteers, as well as paid employees.
    09-11-2019, 10:20 AM
    by Gordon999
    If your building has a "block of flats insurance policy" , you may find the insured cover includes "building re-instatement" plus "public liability" and "employee liability" thrown in at no extra charge. .

Public liability cover is good in case...
    09-11-2019, 10:17 AM
  • Reply to RTM and insurance
    by Gordon999
    The existing insurance policy may be restricted to claims only from the named policy holder.

The RTM company has a legal right to manage the building and can purchase a new insurance policy at competitive price for "block of flats policy " or "Commercial building policy"....
    07-11-2019, 21:21 PM
  • RTM and insurance
    by roxytoo
    Hi We have won the RTM a block of 5 flats with a commercial unit on ground floor. We have set up a limited company. I am trying to sort out the insurance as the existing insurance will be cancelled in a few weeks when we take over. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer....
    07-11-2019, 09:58 AM
  • Reply to RTM and insurance
    by roxytoo
    I have tried to get them to carry on with the existing insurance but they say no, it automatically gets cancelled the day we take over
    07-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Working...
X