Rent protection insurance for tenant with credit check but with NO reference

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rent protection insurance for tenant with credit check but with NO reference

    Hello, I'm new to being a landlord and am about to rent my flat out to one full time employed person and their student partner.

    The full time employed person has passed a credit check with positive references from previous landlord, and affordability for £650.

    Their partner is from the US and not yet arrived in the UK, will be in receipt of student loans, has passed a credit check with affordability of £240 (total rent for property is £890 so I put the maximum on the employed person and the remainder on the student, as advised by the credit check company

    HOWEVER I do not have references for the student because they are not currently employed or renting.

    I'm struggling to find a rent protection insurance that will cover this joint tenancy despite both passing credit checks, both passing affordability checks, just because I don't have a reference for the student. I don't want to use own rent guarantee because I read reviews that they never pay out. I used this company for the checks as it was the only one I found that would do an international student check for someone who isn't yet in the country.

    Can anyone recommend a rent protection insurance that would accept the level of checks I've got? What do people do as a reference when they're a student who hasn't rented before?


    Questions from first time poster advice:

    Q1 – Where is the rented property located? - Brighton

    Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this - whole flat, assured tenancy, joint tenancy

    Q3 – What date did current TA start - due to start mid September

    Q4 – How long was initial fixed term - 12 months

    Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)? - Monthly, 16th of each month

    Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)? Yes will be paid before they move in

    Q7 – NA

    Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No.

    6 months up front for a 6 month tenancy, is far better protection than referencing and insurance in my book. (Don't forget the s21 notice after 4 months.)


      This will be a joint tenancy won't it? They'll be jointly and severally responsible for the rent and all the other sections of the tenancy agreement. I've never used a rent protection insurance but I really can't see them accepting a student as they have no actual income only loans.

      It sounds risky to me and I wouldn't accept them.

      Let them find a cheaper property.


        Why do you want rent protection insurance? How do you imagine it will protect you?

        How much money do they have in their bank accounts?
        What do they have to lose if they try to steal from you? (in general you don't take tenants who have nothing to lose)

        I wouldn't necessarily reject them. It depends on the details not the "credit checks" which often fail to take any account of positive or negative features.


          Home owning guarantor.
          But I'd walk away.


          Latest Activity


          • weighing up terrorism insurance
            by flyingfreehold
            I have two quotes for annual renewal of our portfolio of management properties under an extensive block policy; mixed residential and commercial.

            One is from an absolutely top world class insurer and household name; and another from a firm new to the UK but supposedly reputable and fast...
            07-08-2020, 12:55 PM
          • Reply to weighing up terrorism insurance
            by flyingfreehold
            Our brokers say that the leading companies don't seem to care if they lose a bit of market share, they are determined to yank up the rating and hence premium income as overall they have paid out slightly more than their income in the current period.
            07-08-2020, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to weighing up terrorism insurance
            by Section20z
            If you're in westminster get the terrorism cover if you're in Bembridge take the risk.
            07-08-2020, 14:09 PM
          • Reply to weighing up terrorism insurance
            by Lawcruncher
            Possible solution: Tell the holding insurer about the quote you have received from the newcomer. They may reduce thier premium.
            07-08-2020, 13:01 PM
          • Reply to House insurance
            by jpkeates
            The situation is different if the property is empty awaiting a tenant or the landlord to be is currently living there.
            Landlord's insurance wont be valid if the landlord is the occupant.

            Only if you plan to move back in during the voids (which would be very unusual).

            05-08-2020, 11:18 AM
          • House insurance
            by LMK
            Hi. I am getting my property ready to rent out (my own place which I have been living in). My house insurance is due for renewal about the same time. Do I just buy normal house insurance for.. Maybe a month then cancel it and buy landlord insurance? Or see if they can upgrade it to landlord insurance?...
            05-08-2020, 09:15 AM
          • Reply to House insurance
            by cuttingman
            I told my landlord insurance I was still waiting for people to rent it out. They said that was fine and started the insurance.

            So some follow up questions for the senior members. What do you do during void periods? Cancel the landlord insurance and get residential insurance and then start...
            05-08-2020, 10:31 AM
          • Reply to House insurance
            by LMK
            Any recommendations for companies for landlord insurance? While I'm here. And I'll see about getting normal house insurance with them then upgrading it when the time comes. Thanks...
            05-08-2020, 10:31 AM
          • Reply to House insurance
            by ash72
            I wouldn't, in the unfortuante case you need to make a claim while in the transition period, it may invalid the insurance if they decide to check.
            05-08-2020, 09:48 AM
          • Reply to House insurance
            by LMK
            I thought about just going straight for the landlord insurance but it was asking who it was rented to.. What their situation was etc. And I don't know that yet...
            05-08-2020, 09:46 AM