Rent protection insurance for tenant with credit check but with NO reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent protection insurance for tenant with credit check but with NO reference

Hello, I'm new to being a landlord and am about to rent my flat out to one full time employed person and their student partner.

The full time employed person has passed a credit check with positive references from previous landlord, and affordability for £650.

Their partner is from the US and not yet arrived in the UK, will be in receipt of student loans, has passed a credit check with affordability of £240 (total rent for property is £890 so I put the maximum on the employed person and the remainder on the student, as advised by the credit check company rentchecks.com).

HOWEVER I do not have references for the student because they are not currently employed or renting.

I'm struggling to find a rent protection insurance that will cover this joint tenancy despite both passing credit checks, both passing affordability checks, just because I don't have a reference for the student. I don't want to use rentchecks.com own rent guarantee because I read reviews that they never pay out. I used this company for the checks as it was the only one I found that would do an international student check for someone who isn't yet in the country.

Can anyone recommend a rent protection insurance that would accept the level of checks I've got? What do people do as a reference when they're a student who hasn't rented before?

Thanks!

Questions from first time poster advice:

Q1 – Where is the rented property located? - Brighton

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this - whole flat, assured tenancy, joint tenancy

Q3 – What date did current TA start - due to start mid September

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term - 12 months

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)? - Monthly, 16th of each month

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)? Yes will be paid before they move in

Q7 – NA

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No.

6 months up front for a 6 month tenancy, is far better protection than referencing and insurance in my book. (Don't forget the s21 notice after 4 months.)

Comment

This will be a joint tenancy won't it? They'll be jointly and severally responsible for the rent and all the other sections of the tenancy agreement. I've never used a rent protection insurance but I really can't see them accepting a student as they have no actual income only loans.

It sounds risky to me and I wouldn't accept them.

Let them find a cheaper property.

Comment

Why do you want rent protection insurance? How do you imagine it will protect you?

How much money do they have in their bank accounts?
        What do they have to lose if they try to steal from you? (in general you don't take tenants who have nothing to lose)

I wouldn't necessarily reject them. It depends on the details not the "credit checks" which often fail to take any account of positive or negative features.

Comment

Home owning guarantor.
          But I'd walk away.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building insurance combined with D&O Officers
            Stacker
            Its insurance renewal season! so I have been hunting around for a better deal, so far being told best to combine D&O insurance with the building insurance however who is this better for - the broker as they get a commission or is it best to get separate quotations and policies as the lease does...
            21-10-2019, 15:55 PM
          • Taken to court over water leak
            Flashback1966
            I have received a money court money claim for £2150, due to a water leak from a washing machine. The water leaked into ground floor flat.

The ground floor flat owner, is also freeholder claimed they has spoke to their insurers and were told they would be un-insurable if they made a claim....
            25-09-2019, 13:13 PM
          • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
            leaseholder64
            I suspect the fact that his insurer will withdraw cover if he claims suggests that they think they are responsible for paying the claim, not the OP or their insurers.

Even if there were a trespass, I'm not sure that would have any impact on the claim for the water damage and I can't see...
            20-10-2019, 10:33 AM
          • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
            jpkeates
            Water in a flat is a hazardous and non natural material?
            20-10-2019, 09:47 AM
          • Washing Machine leak
            aminta
            Hi All

QQ

I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
            05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
          • Reply to Washing Machine leak
            jpkeates
            There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
            Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
            07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
            aminta
            The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
            07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
            jpkeates
            If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly bala...
            07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
            aminta
            I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

Thanks...
            07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
          • insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
            JamesHopeful
            I let out an ex-council leasehold flat. As I understand is usual with leasehold, it is insured through the freeholder (which in this case is the London Borough of Tower Hamlets). The insurer is Ocaso and the insurance is subject to the general conditions of their Household Building Insurance for Local...
            17-03-2013, 11:19 AM
          Working...
          X