Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?

Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
    1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
    2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building not just our restaurant?
    3. They claim its a group policy as they do let alot of student accommodation but when we ask for proof that its insured and what it covers asking for a summary of just our building they just fob us off knowing when we ring the insurance people they cant tell us anything because of data protection. They legally have to show us a summary right just our stuff not any other propert?
    4. How much roughly do people pay a year for building insurance for a small restaurant?

As it's a commercial let then they can charge whatever the contract you signed says that they can.

If it says you have to pay the buildings insurance then you are contractually obliged pay it.

As a ridiculous example-
    If it says you should pay for the landlords round the world cruise, and you signed to accept it, then you would be contractually obliged to pay for his holiday.

Comment

In our contract it only says we should pay it not how much and we have been asking to see a copy of it and they are being very evasive as there are flats upstairs too we want to know if we are paying insurance for them too :/ and if they are charging alot for the year

Comment

Your property lease should state the percentage of the total premium payable to the landlord's buildings insurance policy..

You can make a written enquiry asking for a "summary of insured cover for the building" for which you must contribute annually and get a reply within 30 days. You cannot request this information by telephone from the landlord because of data protection..

The "summary of insured cover " should give you the Name of Insurance Company and insurance broker , policy number , name of policy holder , the property address, the insured sum for building re-instatement , public liability cover and any other covers.

After obtaining the "summary of insured cover" , you can seek quotations for "same level of insured cover" from other insurance brokers to compare with cost of insuring your building on a like for like basis.

Comment

Do commercial leaseholders have the same rights as residential leaseholders outlined below..

Where a landlord fails without reasonable excuse to comply with either a request for insurance details or to inspect or have copies of the relevant policy or associated documents, they commit a summary offence and are liable for a fine of up to £2,500 (level 4 on the standard scale) on conviction. The local housing authority, usually through the Tenancy Relations Officer, has the power to bring proceedings, or they can be brought by the leaseholder privately. Any prosecution must be presented to a magistrate within 6 months of the commissof the offence.

Please note that local housing authorities are exempt from prosecution.

Comment

Is your LL the freeholder or are they secondary leaseholders ie they have 999 yr lease and lease to you on a shorter term. ?
            You should have been made aware of your service charge commitments and insurance contributions. You could be paying towards communal parts that you have no access to.
            Most sensible commercial lease have set % of chargers the % can vary, you will most likely have to pay towards the external maintenance and insurance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance and Subsidence
              security2
              Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
              18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
            • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
              Stacker
              What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
              16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
            • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
              BentuKala
              Hello,
              Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
              I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
              15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
            • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
              JK0
              6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
              15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
              BentuKala
              Hi AndrewDod,
              Thanks for your advise.
              I know many experienced landlords, do not like rent guarantee insurance.
              They are a lot better judging and selecting their tenants.
              But being a novice, I am worried about the potential eviction costs, and bad tennats etc.

But...
              15-09-2019, 18:49 PM
              AndrewDod
              This makes no sense. Why would an insurer insure against something that is predictable and nearly inevitable. Well they might, but the premium might approach the total annual rent for a one year premium.

Are you sure you have been thinking clearly about what you are doing as a landlord?...
              15-09-2019, 18:41 PM
            • Leaseholder insurance rights?
              Shelley12
              Does a leaseholder have the right to request to be copied in to all correspondence between the management company (and managing agent) and the insurance company, in reference to a claim resulting in a roof leak into their flat? The insurance is paid for via the service charges....
              13-09-2019, 19:17 PM
            • Reply to Leaseholder insurance rights?
              Stacker
              Start off by writing to them all- create a round robin email and send it to them all...request to be included in all communications so you can help each other and see how they respond.....
              13-09-2019, 20:38 PM
            • Reply to Leaseholder insurance rights?
              leaseholder64
              There is no statutory right to that information.

Was damage to their flat paid from the insurance?

I can't think of any confidentiality reason for not providing it.
              13-09-2019, 20:29 PM
            • Previous reference check
              every1
              Hi everyone, my tenants were referenced last year and they want to extend another year, do I have to reference them again before I sign another year or previous references would be fine ? Has anyone experienced like this? Would be grateful for any suggestion. Thanks...
              06-09-2019, 15:53 PM
            Working...
            X