Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?

    Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
    1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
    2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building not just our restaurant?
    3. They claim its a group policy as they do let alot of student accommodation but when we ask for proof that its insured and what it covers asking for a summary of just our building they just fob us off knowing when we ring the insurance people they cant tell us anything because of data protection. They legally have to show us a summary right just our stuff not any other propert?
    4. How much roughly do people pay a year for building insurance for a small restaurant?

    As it's a commercial let then they can charge whatever the contract you signed says that they can.

    If it says you have to pay the buildings insurance then you are contractually obliged pay it.

    As a ridiculous example-
    If it says you should pay for the landlords round the world cruise, and you signed to accept it, then you would be contractually obliged to pay for his holiday.


      In our contract it only says we should pay it not how much and we have been asking to see a copy of it and they are being very evasive as there are flats upstairs too we want to know if we are paying insurance for them too :/ and if they are charging alot for the year


        Your property lease should state the percentage of the total premium payable to the landlord's buildings insurance policy..

        You can make a written enquiry asking for a "summary of insured cover for the building" for which you must contribute annually and get a reply within 30 days. You cannot request this information by telephone from the landlord because of data protection..

        The "summary of insured cover " should give you the Name of Insurance Company and insurance broker , policy number , name of policy holder , the property address, the insured sum for building re-instatement , public liability cover and any other covers.

        After obtaining the "summary of insured cover" , you can seek quotations for "same level of insured cover" from other insurance brokers to compare with cost of insuring your building on a like for like basis.


          Do commercial leaseholders have the same rights as residential leaseholders outlined below..

          Where a landlord fails without reasonable excuse to comply with either a request for insurance details or to inspect or have copies of the relevant policy or associated documents, they commit a summary offence and are liable for a fine of up to £2,500 (level 4 on the standard scale) on conviction. The local housing authority, usually through the Tenancy Relations Officer, has the power to bring proceedings, or they can be brought by the leaseholder privately. Any prosecution must be presented to a magistrate within 6 months of the commissof the offence.

          Please note that local housing authorities are exempt from prosecution.


            Is your LL the freeholder or are they secondary leaseholders ie they have 999 yr lease and lease to you on a shorter term. ?
            You should have been made aware of your service charge commitments and insurance contributions. You could be paying towards communal parts that you have no access to.
            Most sensible commercial lease have set % of chargers the % can vary, you will most likely have to pay towards the external maintenance and insurance.


              You would have signed a Lease to take over the shop. Your solicitor should have made you aware of your obligations and gone over the terms and conditions.

              Some of the points have already been made. I would expect the freeholder to insure the building under a block policy. You would pay a share of the insurance and the flat owner would pay the other share. Commercial premises may contribute more in costs, so don't be surprised it is n't an equal split.

              You would also need to get a separate and additional policy to insure your own business. For instance, if the chef makes a mistake and a diner dies due to an allergy intolerance...


              Latest Activity


              • Building insurance combined with D&O Officers
                Its insurance renewal season! so I have been hunting around for a better deal, so far being told best to combine D&O insurance with the building insurance however who is this better for - the broker as they get a commission or is it best to get separate quotations and policies as the lease does...
                21-10-2019, 15:55 PM
              • Taken to court over water leak
                I have received a money court money claim for £2150, due to a water leak from a washing machine. The water leaked into ground floor flat.

                The ground floor flat owner, is also freeholder claimed they has spoke to their insurers and were told they would be un-insurable if they made a claim....
                25-09-2019, 13:13 PM
              • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                I suspect the fact that his insurer will withdraw cover if he claims suggests that they think they are responsible for paying the claim, not the OP or their insurers.

                Even if there were a trespass, I'm not sure that would have any impact on the claim for the water damage and I can't see...
                20-10-2019, 10:33 AM
              • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                Water in a flat is a hazardous and non natural material?
                20-10-2019, 09:47 AM
              • Washing Machine leak
                Hi All


                I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

                There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

                Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
                05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
              • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
                Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

                There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
                07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
              • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

                Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
                07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
              • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

                Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly bala...
                07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
              • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

                Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

                07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
              • insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
                I let out an ex-council leasehold flat. As I understand is usual with leasehold, it is insured through the freeholder (which in this case is the London Borough of Tower Hamlets). The insurer is Ocaso and the insurance is subject to the general conditions of their Household Building Insurance for Local...
                17-03-2013, 11:19 AM