Landlord of Residential Insurance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord of Residential Insurance?

I own a property that i do not live in, my mother lives in it (rent free).
    I've been getting conflicting opinons as to whether i should be insuring it under a landlord policy or under a standard residential policy.
    Not sure if it makes a difference but its just for buildings insurance - my mother insures the contents personally.
    Any advice/guidance greatly appreciated.

I think you need to consult a broker about this. Insurers are always looking for a way to dodge paying out, so are bound to say you needed the other type of policy whichever one you choose.

Comment

It would depend on the insurer... as long as you've told them the situation and they have agreed it then should be no problem. We offer both types of insurance and if you approached us we would put you on a landlord insurance policy. Standard home insurance is geared towards a property being owner occupied. As soon as this is not the case it becomes difficult to use so we would move to a landlord insurance. Having family members as tenants is very common and should not be a problem under a landlord policy but it would be best to speak to your broker to make sure they are aware and they can advise you appropriately.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
        Cpoole
        Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
        1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
        2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building...
        08-08-2019, 15:32 PM
      • Reply to Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
        Flashback1966
        You would have signed a Lease to take over the shop. Your solicitor should have made you aware of your obligations and gone over the terms and conditions.

Some of the points have already been made. I would expect the freeholder to insure the building under a block policy. You would...
        17-09-2019, 16:09 PM
      • Insurance and Subsidence
        security2
        Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
        18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
      • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
        Flashback1966
        I don't see a problem. As long as the remedies are sound. There is nothing to worry about. You should insure with the current provider, until the issues have been resolved. Yes, they will have jacked up premium, but they would have sent in their surveyor, but you will be able to get another quote. For...
        17-09-2019, 15:37 PM
      • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
        Stacker
        What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
        16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
      • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
        BentuKala
        Hello,
        Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
        I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
        15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
      • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
        JK0
        6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
        15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
        BentuKala
        Hi AndrewDod,
        Thanks for your advise.
        I know many experienced landlords, do not like rent guarantee insurance.
        They are a lot better judging and selecting their tenants.
        But being a novice, I am worried about the potential eviction costs, and bad tennats etc.

But...
        15-09-2019, 18:49 PM
        AndrewDod
        This makes no sense. Why would an insurer insure against something that is predictable and nearly inevitable. Well they might, but the premium might approach the total annual rent for a one year premium.

Are you sure you have been thinking clearly about what you are doing as a landlord?...
        15-09-2019, 18:41 PM
      • Leaseholder insurance rights?
        Shelley12
        Does a leaseholder have the right to request to be copied in to all correspondence between the management company (and managing agent) and the insurance company, in reference to a claim resulting in a roof leak into their flat? The insurance is paid for via the service charges....
        13-09-2019, 19:17 PM
      Working...
      X