Landlord of Residential Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord of Residential Insurance?

I own a property that i do not live in, my mother lives in it (rent free).
    I've been getting conflicting opinons as to whether i should be insuring it under a landlord policy or under a standard residential policy.
    Not sure if it makes a difference but its just for buildings insurance - my mother insures the contents personally.
    Any advice/guidance greatly appreciated.

I think you need to consult a broker about this. Insurers are always looking for a way to dodge paying out, so are bound to say you needed the other type of policy whichever one you choose.

Comment

It would depend on the insurer... as long as you've told them the situation and they have agreed it then should be no problem. We offer both types of insurance and if you approached us we would put you on a landlord insurance policy. Standard home insurance is geared towards a property being owner occupied. As soon as this is not the case it becomes difficult to use so we would move to a landlord insurance. Having family members as tenants is very common and should not be a problem under a landlord policy but it would be best to speak to your broker to make sure they are aware and they can advise you appropriately.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X