Commercial insurance on Residential Flats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    How would I know if what they have sent me is all the relevant information? Does a 1 page ‘complete flat owner certificate’ and a ‘complete property owner policy wording’ brochure containing introduction, how to make a claim, complaints procedure, insuring clause, policy definition, policy conditions, policy exclusions etc etc sound about right?

    the freeholders are insured for things like loss of rent. Would that benefit me if I rented out or only the policy holder? Should we have that kind of cover?


      There are really two different types of potential loss of rent cover. If they are talking about a) alternative accommodation for both ordinary lessees and tenants of lessees in the case of a problem in the freeholder's demise that causes the building to become uninhabitable then fine b) If it is effectively landlords insurance being purchased then that is an inappropriate insurance policy (and if such a claim led to an increase in premium or was made at all that would really be a type of fraud).


        The problem doesn't have to be in the freeholder's NON-demised parts. It could be a fire in an individual flat. The important thing is that is not the result of an action by the tenant. In fact you may well find that that there are get out clauses for the insurer if the tenant is the cause of an otherwise insurable event.


          The insurance policy may be very basic insurance policy one for a "commercial building" and not specifically a policy for a block of leasehold flats policy.

          Usually only the policy holder can make a claim under the insurance policy. You should check the wording in your own lease to see if wording requires the buildings insurance policy to include names of the leaseholders, giving right to make a claim under the policy.

          What is the total insured value for re-instatement of entire building ? . How many flats and average size ( square feet ) ?

          For average size flat around 600 sq ft flat , I would expect the insured cover to be roughly around £100K/flat . So if you multiply by the no of flats in your building , it should be approx. the insured value for the building.

          The summary of insured cover ( for the building) from the managing agent should include the starting date of the policy, the policy number , the annual premium for the policy. If you multiply by the % you pay under service charge, you can calculated the insurance charged for your flat. .


            The OP says there is a "flat owner's certificate", which if it came from insurer suggests it is intended for blocks of flats.



              What I’ve been sent does not include the annual premium and the broker won’t speak to me so I can’t ask about the premium paid nor if any commission was paid. There are 27 flats across 5 blocks in one large Victorian building. It says we are insured for £8,500,000.00 which based on what you said seems unnecessarily high. There’s also another figure in brackets of £6,500,000 for buildings excluding landlords fixtures and fittings and tenants improvements. Not sure what that means either.

              So can the broker refuse to give me information about premium charged or if commission was paid? How do I find this info out then? How can I establish if we are overinsured? Is there anything else I should be checking?


                Originally posted by Stacker View Post
                So ask to make an appointment at the office who is holding the information and go and inspect it.
                Do they have to provide that facility in my home town?


                Latest Activity


                • Building insurance combined with D&O Officers
                  Its insurance renewal season! so I have been hunting around for a better deal, so far being told best to combine D&O insurance with the building insurance however who is this better for - the broker as they get a commission or is it best to get separate quotations and policies as the lease does...
                  21-10-2019, 15:55 PM
                • Taken to court over water leak
                  I have received a money court money claim for £2150, due to a water leak from a washing machine. The water leaked into ground floor flat.

                  The ground floor flat owner, is also freeholder claimed they has spoke to their insurers and were told they would be un-insurable if they made a claim....
                  25-09-2019, 13:13 PM
                • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                  I suspect the fact that his insurer will withdraw cover if he claims suggests that they think they are responsible for paying the claim, not the OP or their insurers.

                  Even if there were a trespass, I'm not sure that would have any impact on the claim for the water damage and I can't see...
                  20-10-2019, 10:33 AM
                • Reply to Taken to court over water leak
                  Water in a flat is a hazardous and non natural material?
                  20-10-2019, 09:47 AM
                • Washing Machine leak
                  Hi All


                  I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

                  There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

                  Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
                  05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
                • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                  There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
                  Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

                  There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
                  07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
                • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                  The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

                  Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
                  07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
                • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                  If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

                  Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly bala...
                  07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
                • Reply to Washing Machine leak
                  I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

                  Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

                  07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
                • insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
                  I let out an ex-council leasehold flat. As I understand is usual with leasehold, it is insured through the freeholder (which in this case is the London Borough of Tower Hamlets). The insurer is Ocaso and the insurance is subject to the general conditions of their Household Building Insurance for Local...
                  17-03-2013, 11:19 AM