Commercial insurance on Residential Flats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I know An electrical installation condition report (EICR is generally done for the communal hallways. I am not sure about flat owners getting this done to their own flats. I have never received such a request. You need to see the policy wording to check if this is a requirement. May be they should have chosen a different insurer, is this is a requirement.

    With insurance going up. Did they have a surveyor look at the re-build value for the blocks? They should have made this available for people on request. It is normal every few years, to carry out such a survey.


      Interesting. I think I’ll ask when it was done, by who and when the next one is due. I’ve never seen it do I just ask?



        Have you made a written request to freeholder or managing agent by "recorded delivery post" for a "summary of the insured cover" under the buildings insurance policy as I suggested in post 7 ? , This information must be given to you within 30 days and failure to comply , it becomes a criminal offence . Here is a draft letter.

        Dear Sir,

        I am leaseholder of flat no. ? at building street address . My mortgage lender has requested details of the buildings insurance policy for the block of flats.

        Please send me the summary of insured covered under the buildings insurance policy within 30 days for complying to the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 .

        Please confirm the "policy holder" includes the freeholder and leaseholders which is a requirement of the lease .

        Yours sincerely,



          Originally posted by Dazvader View Post
          So it should be commercial?
          All flats insurance policies are commercial that is how they get away with some of the dodgy commissions, if they were residential ordinary home insurance they could not do this!



            I just asked the managing agent and he sent me a long pdf with the ‘policy wording’ which seems generic for our type of policy and a 1 page flat owner certificate. Is that what I should expect to receive? The certificate has the insurance company name, the broker, the free holders name, value the building and communal contents are insured for. The policy does not include the leaseholders names. It says business description: property owner too.


              Originally posted by Stacker View Post

              All flats insurance policies are commercial that is how they get away with some of the dodgy commissions, if they were residential ordinary home insurance they could not do this!
              I thought there was residential, block and commercial?



                I emailed the broker who said for Data Protection reasons they can’t answer any questions about the policy?!


                  Originally posted by Stacker View Post

                  All flats insurance policies are commercial that is how they get away with some of the dodgy commissions, if they were residential ordinary home insurance they could not do this!
                  This is one of the reasons for me looking Into whether there’s a difference between block insurance and commercial and whether there have been any kickbacks and if so where is the commission. I’m also wanting to make sure we’re not over insured purely for the benefit of the freeholder who owns several flats and rents them out and potentially as a result we needed additional cover. One of the blocks in the building may be a S57 HMO


                    Are you a leaseholder? You have the right to see the insurance policy and documents, make the request on the freeholder or managing agent. They have to comply


                      Yes a leaseholder. I have done that and have a copy of an insurance certificate and a policy document that seems like it’s just a generic policy wording doc that every policy holder would get for this type of policy. It’s called ‘complete property owner’. Policy wording.The certificate doesn’t have much detail on it.


                        So ask to make an appointment at the office who is holding the information and go and inspect it.


                          I've had a quick skim read of this topic. A fellow Owner and I decided to arrange the insurance for our block as we felt we weren't getting value for money through our Managing Agent. For several years now, I have arranged the insurance through a Broker and been furnished with the Policy Conditions, etc, from the Insurer (via the Broker). In turn, I forward it to the Managing Agent for reference. We are not obliged to produce an EICR certificate but we are obliged to obtain an annual electrical inspection of the communal lighting, i.e. the emergency lighting that it remains on for 3 hours without an electrical power. However, depending on the age of your property, I suspect an Insurer may ask for it as the communal wiring may be aged or your main Landlord fuse board may not be compliant with the current regs, e.g. each fuse is clearly labelled. Hope this helps.


                            Thanks for that input. Is your policy classed as a block policy or commercial. Do you have things like loss of rent, terrorism cover etc. What about policy excess for any claims and who’s liable to pay the excess in the event of any claims? Thanks for your help.


                              I don't think the insurer cares who pays the excess. Typically it would be the person who would have to pay if there had been no insurance.

                              It is generally impossible to comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order without having an EICR, as the risk assessment will normally require you to get one.


                                Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                                Yes, you can ask both the broker and the insurance company to declare what commission is paid under your building insurance policy.

                                If they are not willing to disclose , then suggest you may report to FCA which is the regulator and supervisor for financial products in UK. customers

                                They won’t answer any questions as I’m not named on the policy. Data Protection.


                                Latest Activity


                                • Insurance and Subsidence
                                  Hi all,

                                  I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

                                  I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
                                  18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
                                • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
                                  What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
                                  16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
                                • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                                  Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
                                  I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
                                  15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                                  6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
                                  15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                                  Hi AndrewDod,
                                  Thanks for your advise.
                                  I know many experienced landlords, do not like rent guarantee insurance.
                                  They are a lot better judging and selecting their tenants.
                                  But being a novice, I am worried about the potential eviction costs, and bad tennats etc.

                                  15-09-2019, 18:49 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                                  This makes no sense. Why would an insurer insure against something that is predictable and nearly inevitable. Well they might, but the premium might approach the total annual rent for a one year premium.

                                  Are you sure you have been thinking clearly about what you are doing as a landlord?...
                                  15-09-2019, 18:41 PM
                                • Leaseholder insurance rights?
                                  Does a leaseholder have the right to request to be copied in to all correspondence between the management company (and managing agent) and the insurance company, in reference to a claim resulting in a roof leak into their flat? The insurance is paid for via the service charges....
                                  13-09-2019, 19:17 PM
                                • Reply to Leaseholder insurance rights?
                                  Start off by writing to them all- create a round robin email and send it to them all...request to be included in all communications so you can help each other and see how they respond.....
                                  13-09-2019, 20:38 PM
                                • Reply to Leaseholder insurance rights?
                                  There is no statutory right to that information.

                                  Was damage to their flat paid from the insurance?

                                  I can't think of any confidentiality reason for not providing it.
                                  13-09-2019, 20:29 PM
                                • Previous reference check
                                  Hi everyone, my tenants were referenced last year and they want to extend another year, do I have to reference them again before I sign another year or previous references would be fine ? Has anyone experienced like this? Would be grateful for any suggestion. Thanks...
                                  06-09-2019, 15:53 PM