boiler insurance does anyone have it and would they recommend ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had it once for a year , then i had a new boiler done by a gas engineer and i decided to cancel it

Comment

I have British Gas for my property in London, as there plumbers only show up if they feel like it. It is pricey though. When their guys don't show up, I sue them for my time & expense.

Comment

Massive fight to get any of the local plumbers to turn up, as they are all massively busy.. So British gas landlord cover, included in the price is the annual service and Gas Safety test.
        Tenants are very happy when I explain that that cover is in place, its a fairly new boiler anyway but the peace of mind knowing that if it all goes wrong, even on Christmas day, we can get an engineer on site pretty quickly. I also keep 4x electric oil filled radiators tucked away just in case. Been needed once in 3 years, but when it was needed the tenant was very happy that within an hour of them reporting a problem with the heating I was on site to have a look with a boot full of radiators ready to go in if needed. Small cost for keeping everyone happy.

Comment

Genuine question: why do people think that boiler insurance is preferable to simply paying for boiler repairs as and when they're needed? (Bearing in mind that on average boiler insurance presumably works out more expensive, or else the provider wouldn't be making a profit)

Comment

Depends on age of boiler and if they can get spare parts ect - a certain gas company (no names implcated) have to verify that they are willing to do the cover as they would not on my home address as boiler was old but they were willing to do for tenants on newer boiler - if you have a string of gas men who are good cheap and reliabile i personally wouldnt bother but depends how many properties you have and age of boiler ect as most will do the gas safety check included in the cover so have to give it some thought

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post
              Genuine question: why do people think that boiler insurance is preferable to simply paying for boiler repairs as and when they're needed? (Bearing in mind that on average boiler insurance presumably works out more expensive, or else the provider wouldn't be making a profit)
              See replies #3 & #4.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post
                Genuine question: why do people think that boiler insurance is preferable to simply paying for boiler repairs as and when they're needed?
                I don't. I've cultivated great relations with my plumbers over decades. To me, it's a key part of being a landlord. They'll do a quicker, better, and overall cheaper job than any insurance scheme.

I wouldn't impose on them on a Christmas day but I know they'd turn up on boxing day, usually with the right parts and, 98% of the time fix it there and then.
                What they wouldn't do is send round an inexperienced newbie, who'd make a best guess of the three most likely components possibly needed, tell the tenant it will take weeks to order the parts, if available at all, and then strongly recommend replacing the entire boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

I don't. I've cultivated great relations with my plumbers over decades. To me, it's a key part of being a landlord. They'll do a quicker, better, and overall cheaper job than any insurance scheme.

I wouldn't impose on them on a Christmas day but I know they'd turn up on boxing day, usually with the right parts and, 98% of the time fix it there and then.
                  What they wouldn't do is send round an inexperienced newbie, who'd make a best guess of the three most likely components possibly needed, tell the tenant it will take weeks to order the parts, if available at all, and then strongly recommend replacing the entire boiler.

Somewhat opposite experience.
                  Used to have a good plumber we used regularly, when we had a major problem (water coming through ceiling - fortunately at home not one of the rentals) and called him got no answer and no reply to messages.. Found out a few days later he had given up being a plumber. :/
                  After that struggled to find a plumber that answer the phone/returns calls... So went with British Gas.
                  I had similar reservations, but they have on file the exact make and model of boiler/details of the system.. When we called them with a problem they were there the next morning, with the likely problem parts for our exact boiler and problem loaded onto the van already (automated apparently).
                  Fixed very quickly, cannot fault them! (Yes, I was surprised as well)

Comment

Good to hear it went well with BG Sam.
                    The plumbers I use are drinking buddies and always answer their phones so I'd know months before if they were hanging up their pipe wrench. I'd also expect them to sort me out in an emergency, even after they've retired.

Comment

I have just one British Gas contract at £20.10 per month. Difficult tenant obsessed boiler will blow up and my plumbers are her enemies. They won't go there anymore. Boiler 5 years old. She has called B Gas out numerous times (I have allowed her full access). They have to attend and nothing is ever wrong. Well worth the money - increased her rent to cover it. It is a 365 day a year service - can go wrong really.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie Landlord
                        annam222
                        Hi all,

Sorry for a basic question. I am renting out my one bedroom flat for 12 months (rent and collect through an agent). Would someone mind telling me what insurance I need? Is it just a landlord insurance? I heard Which report may help?
                        Many thanks
                        Anna
                        18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
                      • Reply to Newbie Landlord
                        Gordon999
                        Usually for a block of leasehold flats, the "block of flats insurance policy" is charged under the service charge account which is contributed by the leaseholder of each flat. The insured cover will include re-instatement of the building after substantial damage etc including removal of debris...
                        19-06-2019, 12:55 PM
                        leaseholder64
                        Any lender with a loan secured on the property.
                        18-06-2019, 12:30 PM
                        annam222
                        Thank you very much. That is a good tip regarding "only let for a six month fixed term then let it go periodic", I did not realise I could do six months. I thought only 12 months minimum with break clause at six months.
                        Sorry when you say "You only need what is required by your...
                        18-06-2019, 12:29 PM
                        leaseholder64
                        You only need what is required by your lender. That may be covered by the buildings insurance for the block, but make sure that that insurance covers sub-let flats. Anything else depends on your willingness to take risks.

Landlord insurance is a packaged product so you need to look at...
                        18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
                      • Damage to Ceiling
                        jessa46
                        I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
                        16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
                      • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                        JK0
                        But won't flat above have same policy as you?

Maybe you could ask them to pay the excess if any.
                        16-06-2019, 17:15 PM
                      • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                        Dazvader
                        First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
                        15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
                      • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                        Macromia
                        Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
                        16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
                      • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                        Dazvader
                        Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
                        15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
                      Working...
                      X