Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?

Hi
    The flat above my flat has had various leaks over the years and I had not seen any damage to my property below. However just recently there was a large leak from their bathroom, which caused water damage to walls, plaster and painting, Quite a lot of water entered the property. It has taken three weeks to completely dry.
    I had not realised my landlord insurance had lapsed the month before. I have asked the landlord above to come and look at the damage and to repair as the leak was his fault.
    I am in a selective licensing area and was considering reporting him. He has mentioned that he will come and take a look at the damage to the property with his builder/contractor but if it is too much he states we should claim on insurance. (I haven't told him my insurance has lapsed).
    What is the best way to approach this situation? Thanks

Do you not have any insurance provided by the freeholder?

Comment

my landlord insurance has lapsed, which i hadn't realised. I'm the freeholder of my flat.

Comment

You need to prove negligence -can you? How do you know the leak was"his fault"

Comment

Oh I see. He had work carried out from his plumber. I had initially thought since he owned the prop he was responsible for the leak. Where does it leave me regarding the damage?

Comment

Since your LL Building Ins has lapsed, unless you can show upstairs. LL was negligent, you may have to pay for repairs out of own pocket, & anything else previously covered by your Ins eg Third Party Liability.

Comment

Thank you for this

Comment

Was the plumber there to repair an existing leak or did they,for example,leave a pipe unconnected or leaking? Unless you were present to see what the problem was the plumber is unlikely to admit to it. Normally you'd claim from your own insurance.

Comment

It does sound harsh that you would have to pay, negligent or not...... the water came from above, not your own sink/bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
                    It does sound harsh that you would have to pay, negligent or not...... the water came from above, not your own sink/bathroom.
                    Yes that cant be right, so if two falts above me have water escapes I would be liable twice, sorry it cant be right!

Comment

Yup, it is like that for pretty much everything.

If the neighbour comes around to your house for a visit and accidently knocked over your brand new flat screen TV, you cannot force him to pay.

For properties

If there was a tall tree in neighbours garden, and one day it fell on your house during heavy winds, you claim your own insurance.

If there was a fire in your neighbours house and parts of your house gets burned, you claim your own insurance.

Comment

Does neighbour have any liability insurance?

Comment

Have a read of these two threads: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...leaks-in-flats

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ays-the-excess

Comment

Wow..... seems harsh but it shows the importance of having good and up to date insurance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X