Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A slightly more complicated water damage issue

Hello

I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats.

The flat below mine is now claiming that the leak originates in my flat, water is coming from behind the plasterboard and into his flat behind the bath and then leaking to the flat below his.

He has sent me pictures and is adamant the leak comes from my flat, he's suggesting I meet up with the plumber and take a look, and then use the same plumber to sort the problem in my flat out.

I lived in my flat for 10 years, I know both flats and it doesn't make sense to me that a leak would originate above his bathroom - its a bedroom above there. There is no sign of any leak in my flat.

I have had dealings with I'm in the past and I don't trust him. He's already talking about liability and how I need to pay for everything. I get the feeling this isn't going to be a straightforward issue

When I suggested we need to get our own plumber in to have a look before he made good the damage and to determine the source of the leak so it could be resolved and we could determine who is liable he became a bit agressive. when I pointed out that insurance companies are likely to need to investigate who is liable he wasn't happy, told me he doesn't have any and said I should just pay as its my fault.

I do have landlords insurance.

Any advice on how to proceed and what my rights are would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to get out of paying what I am liable for

Thanks

I would just relay everything in your post to your landlord insurer. I do not know the extent of coverage on your insurance policy but things that will help are:

"Trace and Access" cover which would cover the locating and repairing of the leak
    "Property Owners Liability" cover which would cover any damage that you are liable for
    "Legal Expenses" cover for any legal disputes that arise in relation to the property

If nothing else, your insurer should provide the necessary advice of what to do next.

I would not entertain conversations/disputes with your neighbour, just simply say that your insurer will deal with it as they are the experts.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

You can get a leak from a bedroom if the bedroom has a radiator. I have experience of a leaking central heating pipe under floorboards causing damage to a room below. It was a real pain to find as at first it appeared to be penetrating damp. You can also get leaks running a fair way under floorboards before a low point to get out.

Personally I'd meet their plumber - putting it firmly in the hands of your insurer is not a bad idea but takes longer to sort it out and with the potential for more damage..

Comment

There's no default liability for a leak.
        Leaks happen, and unless there's been either negligence or a deliberate act to cause the leak, the question of liability doesn't arise.
        And as there isn't really anything anyone can do to "maintain" pipework, negligence is a bit of a stretch.

However, now you have been told that the neighbour thinks there's a leak, you would be negligent if you didn't investigate and fix it (if it exists).

I'd get your own plumber in sharpish and worry about insurance if there's some serious issue.

It doesn't matter what the room is, pipes are all over the place.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks very much, I'm going round to have a look this evening, and I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow and speaking to the insurance company once I've spoken to the plumber

the flat below and is already talking about who pays and the flat below them is talking about liability already.

All your advice is very helpful, thanks

Comment

If its a leak from radiator and went though 2 flats and is visable im sure you will have noticed, you would have had to top boiler up and bleed radiators. Hes trying it on already said hasn't got insurance so hes blaming you

Comment

It's one of those situations where the widely held belief, that it's always the responsibility of whoever had the leak who ends up paying for the damage, is wrong.
              But it's so widely held that lots of people pay out and it starts to become true.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving Costs Building Insurance
                  Dorisamelia
                  I am a leaseholder and I have suffered 5 water leaks in the period of 6 months from the flat above mine. My property is a large ( 1250 sq.ft.) studio. The management company of the block is also the Freeholder and the leaseholder of the offending flat above. A claim on the block building insurance,...
                  09-04-2019, 22:11 PM
                • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
                  Dorisamelia
                  Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. I am not having much success with the Local Council Private Housing dept. Apparently they only deal with Tenants in privately rented homes and not owner/ occupiers! I could pursue the local Magistrates Court...... but I have just been made aware of...
                  19-04-2019, 19:22 PM
                  Gordon999
                  If you did not receive a summary of the insured cover within 30 days, it becomes a criminal offence and you can report the criminal offence to the Housing Officer at your Local Council for prosecution or file a complaint yourself at your local Magistrates Court ( speak to the Court Manager who...
                  12-04-2019, 04:53 AM
                  Dorisamelia
                  Thank you JKO - Service charge demands are in order; the paperwork is correct. I have written to the management company yesterday and advised them that since the insurance will not pay for moving costs and this expense has not been covered in the quote, I will remain in residence and the builder, during...
                  11-04-2019, 10:03 AM
                  JK0
                  Yeah, sounds fair enough to me.

BTW, how are they demanding service charge, ground rent & insurance monies? Check everything comes with correct paperwork, as this might give you some leverage, if they don't pay up for your losses.
                  10-04-2019, 18:09 PM
                  Dorisamelia
                  I sent a written request by " registered post " for a copy of summary insurance policy just after the last flood. No reply from them! I have damage to my contents but unfortunately no contents insurance. I intend to pursue the matter via the courts and prove negligence. I am trying to get...
                  10-04-2019, 11:00 AM
                  Gordon999
                  Send a written request by "registered post" to request a "summary of insured cover for your building" and you should get the reply within 21 days or 30 days or failing this it becomes a criminal offence.
                  09-04-2019, 22:56 PM
                  JK0
                  Don't you even know the name of the insurer? If you know that, I'd have thought they could inform you of the cover.

Failing that, I'd book into a travel lodge, for the minimum time and then sue freeholder for the cost.

Have you any damaged contents? Have you contents insur...
                  09-04-2019, 22:19 PM
                • Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
                  Bassodone
                  Hi
                  The flat above my flat has had various leaks over the years and I had not seen any damage to my property below. However just recently there was a large leak from their bathroom, which caused water damage to walls, plaster and painting, Quite a lot of water entered the property. It has taken...
                  02-04-2019, 20:38 PM
                • Reply to Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
                  Hudson01
                  Wow..... seems harsh but it shows the importance of having good and up to date insurance.
                  04-04-2019, 19:45 PM
                Working...
                X