Insrance cover for leaseholder

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insrance cover for leaseholder

    Hello, I inherited a
    flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover for the upstairs flat which I don't own but have the lease on. Is this correct and if so can I ask the people who own the upstairs flat to contribute to my insurance? Quite confused with this? Appreciate any pointers please...

    This only makes some sense if you are the freeholder.

    There is an unusual arrangement, in part of the North East, where two parties are own the leaseholds of the flat where they live and the freehold of the other flat. Are you in that party of the country, and specifically where.

    Elsewhere, you would likely be freeholder for the whole building and responsible for building insurance, but, typically, with a lease for the other flats, allowing you to recover a share of the cost from them.


      Sorry I worded that poorly, I own the freehold for both properties. So my question still holds, can I ask the owner of the other flat to pay towards the insurance is this a legal request? Not sure I understand leases at all if I own it but get nothing for it and I have to pay their building insurance, seems I might as well just give them the freehold?


        Only if the other lease says you can.


          Just to clarify. If the lease doesn't make anyone responsible for arranging the insurance, any party to it can go to the tribunal to force a change, but if it simply leaves the freeholder responsible for paying, you are likely to need unanimous agreement to change it.


            The holder of freehold title is legal owner of the entire building. The freeholder should be the insurer of the building.

            The leaseholder of each flat is holding the property under a lease (= long term rental tenant known as leaseholder )

            Inside the lease, one of the clauses will say the lessee ( leaseholder ) agrees to contribute 50% to the maintenance cost of the building ( including building insurance cover ) .

            Do your lease show this ?


            Latest Activity


            • Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by oi2004as

              I would be interested in your view on the following

              I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

              There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
              11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by tatemono
              that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
              13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by AndrewDod
              No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

              The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
              13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by oi2004as
              To jpkeates
              This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
              They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
              They may not provide correct information
              They may not allow to run re-referencing...
              13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by theartfullodger
              HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
              13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by oi2004as
              To AndrewDod
              I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
              This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
              The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
              The agreement has the following clauses:
              7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
              13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by jpkeates
              I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
              I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

              Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
              13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by AndrewDod
              If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
              13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by Boab
              I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
              13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
            • Reply to Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
              by ashburnham
              Take a look at the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for a list of providers.
              13-07-2020, 13:58 PM