Not quite another water leak question.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Not quite another water leak question.

    So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem is, our upstairs neighbor passed away almost a year ago, so now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as I can't ask them to check for leaks.
    Since there is technically no tenant upstairs, am I solely responsible for the associated costs of getting this all sorted out? Or would I be able to seek help from the letting agent for upstairs, the bank, or perhaps the council, since it is technically not our fault? Is this considered an act of god? (I doubt it but am still curious.)

    Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

    Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?


      The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their names. Check the land registry entry if you don't have the owner's full name. Failing that, i would have a ring around the local probate solicitors to find out who is dealing with it. Also have a chat with the freeholders, and your insurers who may be able to move things forward. Check the London Gazette as well for the owner's name as solicitors often put a notice in there.


        I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone that it affects to help fix.
          I think the tenants child is the owner now but will have clarity once I get a hold of the agent.

          Thank you for the replies everyone.


          Latest Activity


          • Insurance broker relationship
            by Stacker
            If the company is the freeholder called the principal and the directors called its agents. Could an insurance broker be called an agent of the company also and would the insurance broker owe fiduciary duties to the company?
            07-07-2020, 19:02 PM
          • Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

            A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
            17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by Section20z

            More likely there was a big claim and the renewal went up so the only way to get reasonable cover was to accept a high excess.
            You can ask for claims history but I doubt they would tell you it had been declined, they don't normally decline renewals,. Just put price up so...
            06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            I think the present insurers are perfectly reputable. I cant see that there is a way of ascertaining that the previous insurer declined. Companies are fickle and they do from time to time exit specific types of cover....
            06-07-2020, 08:53 AM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by desamax
            Our excess have been increased, the 'escape of water' one is now 5K from £250 all others have doubled. This is a mixed use property all sold off on long leases. we have a feeling our landlord has had the insurance declined by the long standing insurer and we now have some unknown underwriter, the policy...
            04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Rincewind
            yes but . . . the lease says

            "The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
            29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
          • Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Rincewind
            Hi All

            I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

            The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
            27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
          • Reply to Building Insurance
            by hexu
            Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

            "Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
            27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
          • Building Insurance
            by hexu
            The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

            I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
            30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Section20z
            I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
            Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
            You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
            27-06-2020, 12:01 PM