Not quite another water leak question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite another water leak question.

So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem is, our upstairs neighbor passed away almost a year ago, so now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as I can't ask them to check for leaks.
    Since there is technically no tenant upstairs, am I solely responsible for the associated costs of getting this all sorted out? Or would I be able to seek help from the letting agent for upstairs, the bank, or perhaps the council, since it is technically not our fault? Is this considered an act of god? (I doubt it but am still curious.)

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?

Comment

The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their names. Check the land registry entry if you don't have the owner's full name. Failing that, i would have a ring around the local probate solicitors to find out who is dealing with it. Also have a chat with the freeholders, and your insurers who may be able to move things forward. Check the London Gazette as well for the owner's name as solicitors often put a notice in there.

Comment

I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone that it affects to help fix.
          I think the tenants child is the owner now but will have clarity once I get a hold of the agent.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X