Not quite another water leak question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite another water leak question.

So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem is, our upstairs neighbor passed away almost a year ago, so now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as I can't ask them to check for leaks.
    Since there is technically no tenant upstairs, am I solely responsible for the associated costs of getting this all sorted out? Or would I be able to seek help from the letting agent for upstairs, the bank, or perhaps the council, since it is technically not our fault? Is this considered an act of god? (I doubt it but am still curious.)

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?

Comment

The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their names. Check the land registry entry if you don't have the owner's full name. Failing that, i would have a ring around the local probate solicitors to find out who is dealing with it. Also have a chat with the freeholders, and your insurers who may be able to move things forward. Check the London Gazette as well for the owner's name as solicitors often put a notice in there.

Comment

I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone that it affects to help fix.
          I think the tenants child is the owner now but will have clarity once I get a hold of the agent.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insrance cover for leaseholder
            gmt4114
            Hello, I inherited a
            downstairs
            flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
            20-03-2019, 14:51 PM
          • Reply to Insrance cover for leaseholder
            leaseholder64
            Just to clarify. If the lease doesn't make anyone responsible for arranging the insurance, any party to it can go to the tribunal to force a change, but if it simply leaves the freeholder responsible for paying, you are likely to need unanimous agreement to change it.
            20-03-2019, 22:17 PM
          • A slightly more complicated water damage issue
            davebhoy
            Hello

I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats....
            20-03-2019, 21:10 PM
            leaseholder64
            Only if the other lease says you can.
            20-03-2019, 20:11 PM
            gmt4114
            Sorry I worded that poorly, I own the freehold for both properties. So my question still holds, can I ask the owner of the other flat to pay towards the insurance is this a legal request? Not sure I understand leases at all if I own it but get nothing for it and I have to pay their building insurance,...
            20-03-2019, 18:52 PM
          • Airbnb Insurance cover.
            Phizzel
            I rent a cottage. My tenant has asked to use a room for Airbnb for holiday lets.. My insurer has said it will negate the Cover they provide..They will cover for a lodger but not for Airbnb.. I rang another Insurer who provide cover but only if Airbnb is being provided within where the homeowner lives....
            20-03-2019, 16:31 PM
          • Reply to Airbnb Insurance cover.
            theartfullodger
            Check AirBnB - tenant may already be doing it.

But correct, don't agree and probably beaches any mortgage conditions and possibly local council regulations
            20-03-2019, 16:53 PM
            leaseholder64
            This only makes some sense if you are the freeholder.

There is an unusual arrangement, in part of the North East, where two parties are own the leaseholds of the flat where they live and the freehold of the other flat. Are you in that party of the country, and specifically where.
            20-03-2019, 15:16 PM
          • Not quite another water leak question.
            Shreeve
            So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem...
            16-03-2019, 15:46 PM
          • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
            Shreeve
            I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone...
            17-03-2019, 22:43 PM
          Working...
          X