Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance claim

Hi

I have had water damage to a property. The claim started over 1 month ago, we send photos and documents.

The insurer initially accepted that water damage to chipboard and cabinetry can be claimed but did not send a loss adjustor.

After one month we started redecorating as the cabinet was rotting and we needed another tenant to move in as the insurance was taking a while to go through. Only now have they said they want to send a loss adjuster.... over 1 month later. obviously the flat is redecorated and new tenants in situ.

Is this acceptable?

Obviously unacceptable that the insurers have taken so long to send a loss adjuster however before any work was initiated, you should have cleared it with the insurer first. If the property was uninhabitable due to the water damage then the claim could have extended to provide loss of rent cover if you had this on your policy.

Without knowing their claims rules and procedures there is little help that can be offered here but if you run into trouble in the fact you have now redecorated, I would stand your ground that their lack of urgency or letting you know where you stood with the claim left you with no choice. Hopefully they will see that it took too long for them to respond and an amicable solution is found.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie Landlord
      annam222
      Hi all,

Sorry for a basic question. I am renting out my one bedroom flat for 12 months (rent and collect through an agent). Would someone mind telling me what insurance I need? Is it just a landlord insurance? I heard Which report may help?
      Many thanks
      Anna
      18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
    • Reply to Newbie Landlord
      leaseholder64
      Any lender with a loan secured on the property.
      18-06-2019, 12:30 PM
      annam222
      Thank you very much. That is a good tip regarding "only let for a six month fixed term then let it go periodic", I did not realise I could do six months. I thought only 12 months minimum with break clause at six months.
      Sorry when you say "You only need what is required by your...
      18-06-2019, 12:29 PM
      leaseholder64
      You only need what is required by your lender. That may be covered by the buildings insurance for the block, but make sure that that insurance covers sub-let flats. Anything else depends on your willingness to take risks.

Landlord insurance is a packaged product so you need to look at...
      18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
    • Damage to Ceiling
      jessa46
      I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
      16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
    • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
      JK0
      But won't flat above have same policy as you?

Maybe you could ask them to pay the excess if any.
      16-06-2019, 17:15 PM
    • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
      Dazvader
      First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
      15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
    • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
      Macromia
      Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
      16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
      Dazvader
      Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
      15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
      leaseholder64
      You said t"The first two were sorted by him to an unimpressive standard"); that is compensating you.

People are only legally responsible to compensate you if they have been negligent, not just because they own the source of the problem. That means they have to have done something...
      15-06-2019, 10:43 AM
    Working...
    X