Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance claim

Hi

I have had water damage to a property. The claim started over 1 month ago, we send photos and documents.

The insurer initially accepted that water damage to chipboard and cabinetry can be claimed but did not send a loss adjustor.

After one month we started redecorating as the cabinet was rotting and we needed another tenant to move in as the insurance was taking a while to go through. Only now have they said they want to send a loss adjuster.... over 1 month later. obviously the flat is redecorated and new tenants in situ.

Is this acceptable?

Obviously unacceptable that the insurers have taken so long to send a loss adjuster however before any work was initiated, you should have cleared it with the insurer first. If the property was uninhabitable due to the water damage then the claim could have extended to provide loss of rent cover if you had this on your policy.

Without knowing their claims rules and procedures there is little help that can be offered here but if you run into trouble in the fact you have now redecorated, I would stand your ground that their lack of urgency or letting you know where you stood with the claim left you with no choice. Hopefully they will see that it took too long for them to respond and an amicable solution is found.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Any companies currently offering landlords insurance?
      by Efferneti
      Bad timing to be starting an AST I know, but I went through all the major search engines and could find absolutely no policies available. Does anyone know of any companies/brokers offering policies?
      31-05-2020, 20:12 PM
    • Reply to Any companies currently offering landlords insurance?
      by theartfullodger
      Ordinary AST, not HMO? Buildings, contents, public liability, rent protection - which please?
      31-05-2020, 21:29 PM
    • Reply to Any companies currently offering landlords insurance?
      by doobrey
      For buildings insurance?
      31-05-2020, 21:12 PM
    • Reply to Building Insurance
      by hexu
      Indeed, it's a Victorian converted flat, more than hundred years old. I would understand the inconvenience of holding more than one policy, but I find it hard to accept the current freeholder's behavior. Instead of a proper discussion, he enforces me to pay items that I am not entitled.

31-05-2020, 13:51 PM
    • Building Insurance
      by hexu
      The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
      30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
      by hexu
      As ATC said, it exists....
      31-05-2020, 13:30 PM
      by hexu
      Thank you for your advice. I would thought the freeholder would suggest a Deed of Variation before sending any of his bills to me, but he didn't.

I do worry if I agree to make a variation and pay insurance to the developer, the cost of building insurance (commercial) will increase more...
      31-05-2020, 13:26 PM
      by hexu
      Thank you for your suggestion. I want to sell it indeed, but any potential buyers would have to pay building insurance themselves in order to get a mortgage. I am not sure if I am in a position to sell my flat even if I give the money to the freeholder?...
      31-05-2020, 12:55 PM
      by ATC
      It is not that uncommon, especially in leases originally granted from before about 1967, or granted by reference to a lease from the 50s or early 60s. Typically the lessee would be obligated to have the lessor as joint insured, and the covenant is to insure the demised flat for the full reinstatement...
      31-05-2020, 08:33 AM
      by doobrey
      This seems unusual. Does the lease confirm this?

Leasehold properties that I have owned have been insured by the freeholder. I presumed - rightly or wrongly - that it pretty much had to work this way (e.g. because the property ultimately belongs to the freeholder)....
      31-05-2020, 08:24 AM
    Working...
    X