Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance claim

Hi

I have had water damage to a property. The claim started over 1 month ago, we send photos and documents.

The insurer initially accepted that water damage to chipboard and cabinetry can be claimed but did not send a loss adjustor.

After one month we started redecorating as the cabinet was rotting and we needed another tenant to move in as the insurance was taking a while to go through. Only now have they said they want to send a loss adjuster.... over 1 month later. obviously the flat is redecorated and new tenants in situ.

Is this acceptable?

Obviously unacceptable that the insurers have taken so long to send a loss adjuster however before any work was initiated, you should have cleared it with the insurer first. If the property was uninhabitable due to the water damage then the claim could have extended to provide loss of rent cover if you had this on your policy.

Without knowing their claims rules and procedures there is little help that can be offered here but if you run into trouble in the fact you have now redecorated, I would stand your ground that their lack of urgency or letting you know where you stood with the claim left you with no choice. Hopefully they will see that it took too long for them to respond and an amicable solution is found.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X