Accidental damage (renting via letting agency)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Accidental damage (renting via letting agency)


    We recently broke the glass top of our cooker and our agency has quoted £200 higher than what the manufacturer themselves quoted us. They said our landlord's insurance doesn't cover accidental damage but given the fact they quoted so high for the repair we have little trust in them. Is there anyway we can get a copy of the landlord's insurance to check ourselves?


    Even if the landlord's insurance covers it, their insurers are likely to try to recover the cost from you or your insurers.

    What sort of cooker is this, as £200 price differences sound more than the whole cost of the repair.

    Was this a gas hob damaged by closing it with burners running, as any cooker for which you could do that should have failed the gas safety check.


      Thanks! It's a Siemens glass ceramic hob top which is priced at £276 plus £109 for installation (£385). Agency quoted us £585. Damage was caused by a glass spice jar falling from the cupboard above it which is designed to hold spices. It's only cracked on the edge so the hob itself still works. Our contract mentions we liable to replace to the same state it was but also mentions £150 max excess per claim on the landlord's insurance policy.


        If it's a fixture, the actual repair is the landlord's responsibility.
        If you are a tenant and broke the hob, you are responsible for the cost of repairing it.
        It wouldn't be something the landlord would want to claim on their insurance (if it's covered, which it probably isn't).

        However, the landlord is obliged to keep their loss to a minimum (technically they are obliged to mitigate their loss).
        So, if it can be repaired (replaced) for £385, the landlord can't demand compensation that's greater than that cost.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          Thank you for all your advice


            Are you moving out? If not, and the damage doesn't affect safety, the landlord can only recover the cost when you actually check out, and must take into account the amount of the expected lifetime already used at that stage.

            Is there anything in the tenancy agreement that obliges the landlord to claim on their insurance? Claiming often costs more in the long term.


              What are the terms of your repairing obligations? Do they exclude damage covered the landlord's insurance?

              If you are under an obligation to repair you do not need permission to comply with your obligation - just get on and do the repair and ignore the agent.


                Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                Even if the landlord's insurance covers it, their insurers are likely to try to recover the cost from you or your insurers.
                If the damage is covered by insurance which is required by the tenancy agreement, then the insurer doesn't get a subrogated claim against the tenant for the damges, and the tenant should only be liable up to the excess.
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.



                  There was a case which confirmed that - don't ask me its name.


                  Latest Activity


                  • A slightly more complicated water damage issue

                    I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

                    There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats....
                    20-03-2019, 21:10 PM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    It's one of those situations where the widely held belief, that it's always the responsibility of whoever had the leak who ends up paying for the damage, is wrong.
                    But it's so widely held that lots of people pay out and it starts to become true.
                    22-03-2019, 15:04 PM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    If its a leak from radiator and went though 2 flats and is visable im sure you will have noticed, you would have had to top boiler up and bleed radiators. Hes trying it on already said hasn't got insurance so hes blaming you
                    21-03-2019, 18:43 PM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    Thanks very much, I'm going round to have a look this evening, and I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow and speaking to the insurance company once I've spoken to the plumber

                    the flat below and is already talking about who pays and the flat below them is talking about liability already....
                    21-03-2019, 17:10 PM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    There's no default liability for a leak.
                    Leaks happen, and unless there's been either negligence or a deliberate act to cause the leak, the question of liability doesn't arise.
                    And as there isn't really anything anyone can do to "maintain" pipework, negligence is a bit of a stretch....
                    21-03-2019, 14:34 PM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    You can get a leak from a bedroom if the bedroom has a radiator. I have experience of a leaking central heating pipe under floorboards causing damage to a room below. It was a real pain to find as at first it appeared to be penetrating damp. You can also get leaks running a fair way under floorboards...
                    21-03-2019, 10:29 AM
                  • Airbnb Insurance cover.
                    I rent a cottage. My tenant has asked to use a room for Airbnb for holiday lets.. My insurer has said it will negate the Cover they provide..They will cover for a lodger but not for Airbnb.. I rang another Insurer who provide cover but only if Airbnb is being provided within where the homeowner lives....
                    20-03-2019, 16:31 PM
                  • Reply to Airbnb Insurance cover.
                    Airbnb not a problem but as the tenant want to arrange it, it falls under the "sub-letting" category which makes most insurers run a mile. Think you will have trouble getting the cover you need, coupled with other potential issues as per above post, I think this is more hassle than it's w...
                    21-03-2019, 10:26 AM
                  • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
                    I would just relay everything in your post to your landlord insurer. I do not know the extent of coverage on your insurance policy but things that will help are:

                    "Trace and Access" cover which would cover the locating and repairing of the leak
                    "Property Owners Liability"...
                    21-03-2019, 09:58 AM
                  • Insrance cover for leaseholder
                    Hello, I inherited a
                    flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
                    20-03-2019, 14:51 PM