Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%

Our insurance on a small block of flats in SW London has just gone up by 50% to just over £1000 pa The reason I was given by the broker is that the existing policy included cover for 'acts of terrorism'. Even a policy without the T cover is 35% up on last year because all 4 flats are now rented out to 'professional workers' whereas last year we had one owner occupier.
    1. Has anyone else experience this price hike?
    2. Any recommendations as to cheaper cover

Freedom at the point of zero............

Do you have a clause about not causing premiums to increase? If so, enforce that against the sub-letting leaseholders, and get them to cover the additional cost or arrange their own insurance.

Comment

I am not aware of any increases to that extent with any of our underwriters for landlord property or terrorism cover in the last 12 months. Hopefully this is something isolated to your current insurer who maybe had a bad experience in the last 12 months with something in your postcode area or something else related to your risk which has unfortunately had a big knock on effect to your policy.

Have a look over at the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for some other brokers to compare against.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thanks for that Ashburnham - I did wonder if a nasty experience was the case and not a general rule but the price with 2 others my current broker suggested was significantly higher. Will do as you suggest.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Try getting a comparison quote for block of flats policy + terrorism cover from this online site which offers insurance cover by Lloyds of London :

https://www.thepropertyinsurer.co.uk...ats-insurance/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• A slightly more complicated water damage issue
            davebhoy
            Hello

I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats....
            20-03-2019, 21:10 PM
          • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
            jpkeates
            It's one of those situations where the widely held belief, that it's always the responsibility of whoever had the leak who ends up paying for the damage, is wrong.
            But it's so widely held that lots of people pay out and it starts to become true.
            22-03-2019, 15:04 PM
            Gandolf
            If its a leak from radiator and went though 2 flats and is visable im sure you will have noticed, you would have had to top boiler up and bleed radiators. Hes trying it on already said hasn't got insurance so hes blaming you
            21-03-2019, 18:43 PM
            davebhoy
            Thanks very much, I'm going round to have a look this evening, and I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow and speaking to the insurance company once I've spoken to the plumber

the flat below and is already talking about who pays and the flat below them is talking about liability already....
            21-03-2019, 17:10 PM
            jpkeates
            There's no default liability for a leak.
            Leaks happen, and unless there's been either negligence or a deliberate act to cause the leak, the question of liability doesn't arise.
            And as there isn't really anything anyone can do to "maintain" pipework, negligence is a bit of a stretch....
            21-03-2019, 14:34 PM
            buzzard1994
            You can get a leak from a bedroom if the bedroom has a radiator. I have experience of a leaking central heating pipe under floorboards causing damage to a room below. It was a real pain to find as at first it appeared to be penetrating damp. You can also get leaks running a fair way under floorboards...
            21-03-2019, 10:29 AM
          • Airbnb Insurance cover.
            Phizzel
            I rent a cottage. My tenant has asked to use a room for Airbnb for holiday lets.. My insurer has said it will negate the Cover they provide..They will cover for a lodger but not for Airbnb.. I rang another Insurer who provide cover but only if Airbnb is being provided within where the homeowner lives....
            20-03-2019, 16:31 PM
          • Reply to Airbnb Insurance cover.
            ashburnham
            Airbnb not a problem but as the tenant want to arrange it, it falls under the "sub-letting" category which makes most insurers run a mile. Think you will have trouble getting the cover you need, coupled with other potential issues as per above post, I think this is more hassle than it's w...
            21-03-2019, 10:26 AM
            ashburnham
            I would just relay everything in your post to your landlord insurer. I do not know the extent of coverage on your insurance policy but things that will help are:

"Trace and Access" cover which would cover the locating and repairing of the leak
            "Property Owners Liability"...
            21-03-2019, 09:58 AM
          • Insrance cover for leaseholder
            gmt4114
            Hello, I inherited a
            downstairs
            flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
            20-03-2019, 14:51 PM
          Working...
          X