water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?


    I have read the sticky posts about water leaking downstairs and insurance. I just want to make sure that I am doing this (legally) right as my situation is quite specific:

    - There was water leaking from the under boards of one of the bedroom flats to the downstairs flat (I am the landlord of the flat with water leaking). This has resulted in damages to part of their ceiling and cupboard in one of the rooms.
    - A few years ago I stopped my landlord insurance with a company to get a contract from another one. The problem is, I might have forgotten to get a new insurance contract as I cannot find any traces of the flat being insured (have tried looking at bank account, calling a few insurance companies, no success).So it is very likely that the flat is no longer insured. (not sure if this is relevant anyway but thought mentioning it just in case it is).
    - Both the landlord of the flat downstairs and their tenant have asked me to fix the damage. We are in good terms and have a friendly relationship.
    - The last tenant at my flat left the flat in an awful situation, I am now doing refurbishing including painting of the whole flat.

    Now, I am thinking that if my painters do not charge me too much for adding the downstairs flat to the work then as a nice gesture and in the atmosphere of friendship I will cover the fixing of the downstairs flat as well.
    However if they charge me too much (like above 20% of what they charge for my own flat) then I will explain the law for the landlord downstairs and advise her to do fix her own flat and claim it on her insurance.

    Does this make sense and am I doing anything wrong (either legally or morally)?

    Appreciate any advice and helpful comments.


    First of all, I assume the leak has been rectified to prevent it happening again. Secondly, get your Landlord Insurance sorted ASAP in case something worse happens!

    In terms of repair to your downstairs neighbour, you are unlikely to be legally negligent and ultimately this is what the downstairs landlord has insurance for. Taking my insurance hat off and in the interest of keeping what appears to be a good relationship, your offer to repair downstairs seems reasonable, however if the cost becomes too much and you have to suggest they claim on their insurance, then maybe an offer of paying towards their excess as a goodwill gesture is a good idea?
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


      Originally posted by paul332 View Post
      am I doing anything wrong (either legally or morally)?
      I think you know the answers, don't you Paul?

      Legally, no. Morally, yes.


        Hi Paul

        as per the advice from a suburban, the onus is on the owner of the flat below to prove that his damage was as a direct result of an act of negligence on you part.

        however in keeping good relations there is no harm on paying for their repairs or policy excess. just ensure to stress that any payments are on a without prejudice basis and purely as a gesture of goodwill

        the claims handler


          Sorry for the late post, I was away. Just wanted to say thank you for the helpful advice. I will see if I can cover the fees as long as they are not excessive and yes paying for the excess seems like a good option.



          Latest Activity


          • Malicious damage by a tenant - covered ??
            Hi everyone

            I am thinking of letting out a bedroom in my house, and I also have a small flat that I let out. A recent insurance scare has prompted me to check my levels of cover and malicious damage is something I am deeply worried about as I've never thought about until now (ignorance...
            21-06-2019, 15:46 PM
          • Reply to Malicious damage by a tenant - covered ??
            The broker I work for can be found by clicking my user name and viewing my profile (the clue is in the name).

            It's certainly a grey area and why we have checked this with our insurers. They assure me it is treated as Arson therefore there is only one cause of damage and avoids your legal...
            24-06-2019, 13:29 PM
          • Reply to Malicious damage by a tenant - covered ??
            Hi ashburnham and thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing which company you work for?

            From the link I gave to the unfortunate sod insured by Zurich, this was the 'get out clause' they used (successfully):

            ""It is established case law that in instances such as...
            24-06-2019, 12:58 PM
          • Solar PV faulty installation
            7 years ago I had solar panels installed by a Co no longer trading. A recent roof inspection determined this Co had cracked the tiles,without providing adequate underlying protection.
            Can I claim this as vandalism on my buildings Ins?
            22-06-2019, 03:17 AM
          • Reply to Solar PV faulty installation
            It is unlikely your home insurer will cover this. You employed a contractor to do a job so it is bad workmanship by them and not vandalism. Normally any work by trades people is excluded on a home insurance policy so any claim you make will have to be against the contractor. There is obviously no harm...
            24-06-2019, 08:29 AM
          • Reply to Solar PV faulty installation
            Presumably the contractor must have had insurance when the job was done? Do you know who that firm was? Do you have any paperwork?
            22-06-2019, 16:27 PM
          • Damage to Ceiling
            I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
            16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
          • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
            You can't claim on someone else's insurance, only the policy holder can do that.
            The upstairs insurance won't pay out on a repair to your flat unless the negligence covered by the policy and proven (and that's not really possible - although your agent might be right, that's hardly proof).
            22-06-2019, 12:07 PM
          • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
            Why was the defaulting owner not sued or threatened with forfeiture? Not having a block policy is likely to make it difficult to sell.
            22-06-2019, 11:57 AM
          • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
            We had a block policy years ago but one owner refused to pay so we had to take out individual policies with 'insurance to common area'.
            22-06-2019, 11:54 AM