Constant water leak from upstairs flat

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Constant water leak from upstairs flat

    Good evening everyone,

    Hope you all had a lovely Xmas and New Year!

    I am here for help! Basically I feel I am very unlucky, last year I had 5 or 6 bad leaks from my neighbor upstairs. The first one started in March and second one came in May, then another leak in Oct, Nov and January 2019. I now constantly worry about when the next leak is going to arrive. I am in despair!

    The landlord upstairs rents out his flat to {Mod - name removed}, who then sublets it to a horrible human being called Mr A. Mr A then rents it to 5 university students. When leak happened I had to call everyone in the chain above and try to get someone to stop the leak, which was a nightmare. As Mr A normally drags on his feet, I even had to send my own plumber to their flat last year to get things sorted and claimed back my money from the landlord later on.

    The landlord upstairs has paid me 500 pounds excess fee for the first leak (rest covered by building insurance policy), and this is the only payment he has made so far.

    I really want to put a stop to the leak situation but I don't know if suing him is the right way to do it? or do I just keep on claiming the excess charges from him and get the rest back from insurance policy?

    Thank you so much for reading and helping!

    Please remove the name of the agent.

    You might want to discuss this with whoever organises the insurance, because the insurers won't be making a loss on this sort of claim; they will have upped the premium to cover what they pay out. They may even cancel the escape of water cover, and are very likely to up the excess, as a condition of retaining it.

    Who does the leaseholder of the flat covenant with in relation to this aspect of their responsibilities? Unless they directly covenant with you, you may need to involve the freeholder, as the one that can enforce the covenants.

    Check with your local council as to whether the flat is registered as an HMO (can often be done online), and shop them if it is not. The rules were recently changed and five students in a flat requires Mandatory Licensing. (Even three requires various safety measures to be in place.) If things are this bad, it is likely that they are not licensed and have not done fire risk assessments.

    The general advice on this forum is not to enter rent to rent arrangements, but what you describe appears to involve two layers of rent to rent!


      As someone who works as a claims handler in the private rental sector. From an insurer's perspective and as per the advice from leaseholder64, the insurers will want to limit their exposure , so come renewal expect that they will either hike the premium up considerably , put an exorbitant policy excess on escape of water claims or exclude cover on escape of water entirely.

      5 leaks in under 12 months is very worrying , as it could be indicative of either an inherent problem with the pipe work in the flat above, or lack of care by the tenants. With regards to the leaks are they always in the same area ? or different areas of the property ? also are they actual leaks from pipes or is it lack of care by the tenants ( example overflowing shower trays) ? Also are you aware of any leaks between the other flats ( this could indicate a major problem with the pipes in the whole block).

      I am assuming that the buildings insurance covers the whole building block , so they are not able to pursue any recoveries on the claims as technically they also insure the flat above. My advice will be to check your lease agreement , especially what it says about sub-letting as potentially the flat above will have the same terms on their lease, also check with the local council about the licencing as Mr A does sound like a bit of a rogue individual to me. Get some independent legal advice and then start pestering the freeholders about your concerns with regards to lack of maintenance in the flat above and/or the state of the pipe work in the building block, as this is the 5th leak in under 12 months . If the flat above is not licenced , report them to the local council as well.

      Hope this helps and good luck.

      The claims handler.


      Latest Activity


      • Moving Costs Building Insurance
        I am a leaseholder and I have suffered 5 water leaks in the period of 6 months from the flat above mine. My property is a large ( 1250 sq.ft.) studio. The management company of the block is also the Freeholder and the leaseholder of the offending flat above. A claim on the block building insurance,...
        09-04-2019, 22:11 PM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. I am not having much success with the Local Council Private Housing dept. Apparently they only deal with Tenants in privately rented homes and not owner/ occupiers! I could pursue the local Magistrates Court...... but I have just been made aware of...
        19-04-2019, 19:22 PM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        If you did not receive a summary of the insured cover within 30 days, it becomes a criminal offence and you can report the criminal offence to the Housing Officer at your Local Council for prosecution or file a complaint yourself at your local Magistrates Court ( speak to the Court Manager who...
        12-04-2019, 04:53 AM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        Thank you JKO - Service charge demands are in order; the paperwork is correct. I have written to the management company yesterday and advised them that since the insurance will not pay for moving costs and this expense has not been covered in the quote, I will remain in residence and the builder, during...
        11-04-2019, 10:03 AM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        Yeah, sounds fair enough to me.

        BTW, how are they demanding service charge, ground rent & insurance monies? Check everything comes with correct paperwork, as this might give you some leverage, if they don't pay up for your losses.
        10-04-2019, 18:09 PM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        I sent a written request by " registered post " for a copy of summary insurance policy just after the last flood. No reply from them! I have damage to my contents but unfortunately no contents insurance. I intend to pursue the matter via the courts and prove negligence. I am trying to get...
        10-04-2019, 11:00 AM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        Send a written request by "registered post" to request a "summary of insured cover for your building" and you should get the reply within 21 days or 30 days or failing this it becomes a criminal offence.
        09-04-2019, 22:56 PM
      • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
        Don't you even know the name of the insurer? If you know that, I'd have thought they could inform you of the cover.

        Failing that, I'd book into a travel lodge, for the minimum time and then sue freeholder for the cost.

        Have you any damaged contents? Have you contents insur...
        09-04-2019, 22:19 PM
      • Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
        The flat above my flat has had various leaks over the years and I had not seen any damage to my property below. However just recently there was a large leak from their bathroom, which caused water damage to walls, plaster and painting, Quite a lot of water entered the property. It has taken...
        02-04-2019, 20:38 PM
      • Reply to Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
        Wow..... seems harsh but it shows the importance of having good and up to date insurance.
        04-04-2019, 19:45 PM