Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

I was reading through some tribunal cases and they stated interest is not recoverable from the Lease...so does this mean IPT tax on insurance is NOT recoverable?

Yes. Nothing else would make sense.

Comment

Note that it comes out of the service charge by definition based on the statutory definition of service charges. It may be a different part of the service charge, and may have a different reserve fund treatment. It may be referred to as an insurance rent, but is still service charge from the point of view of the legislation.

Comment

IPT is charged at 12% and is not the same as VAT which is charged at 20%.

VAT at 20% is added to the invoice by the supplier if his turnover exceeds £85K p.a ?

IPT at 12% is charged on insurance cover.

VAT at 5% is charged for supply to residential building.

Comment

I don’t understand the question, please explain your reasoning why interest has anything to do with insurance.

Comment

Lease no interest can be added to the service charges...

Comment

If the lease does not permit interest to be included within the service charge expenditure, it should not be included. That has nothing to do with insurance. IPT is an integral part of the cost of insurance and if the lease requires you to pay insurance, you should pay the full cost, not part of it.

Comment

Some leases do include a clause to say that leaseholder in arrears on payment on annual service charge or annual ground rent may be charged interest at Nat-West Bank's standard interest rate + 4% .

But this situation is not the same as "recoverable from the service charge account."

Comment

Some leases do allow the landlord to borrow money and include interest charges within the service charge expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold Second Home insurance
                    by Rincewind
                    Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
                    27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
                  • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                    by Rincewind
                    yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
                    29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
                  • Reply to Building Insurance
                    by hexu
                    Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
                    27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
                  • Building Insurance
                    by hexu
                    The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
                    30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
                  • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                    by Section20z
                    I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
                    Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
                    You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
                    27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
                  • Gas boiler insurance
                    by blinko
                    Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
                    21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
                  • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
                    by jpkeates
                    A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
                    23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
                  • Insurance premiums going through the roof
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
                    17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
                  • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
                    23-06-2020, 04:23 AM
                  • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
                    by Interlaken
                    I have a British Gas policy on one of my lets at £23.50 pcm. It gets me unlimited call outs and a gas certificate. The particularly difficult but good paying tenant was convinced my plumbers were trying to kill her and her children and she would never agree a time to let them in yet want endless repairs...
                    22-06-2020, 11:16 AM
                  Working...
                  X