Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

I was reading through some tribunal cases and they stated interest is not recoverable from the Lease...so does this mean IPT tax on insurance is NOT recoverable?

Yes. Nothing else would make sense.

Comment

Note that it comes out of the service charge by definition based on the statutory definition of service charges. It may be a different part of the service charge, and may have a different reserve fund treatment. It may be referred to as an insurance rent, but is still service charge from the point of view of the legislation.

Comment

IPT is charged at 12% and is not the same as VAT which is charged at 20%.

VAT at 20% is added to the invoice by the supplier if his turnover exceeds £85K p.a ?

IPT at 12% is charged on insurance cover.

VAT at 5% is charged for supply to residential building.

Comment

I don’t understand the question, please explain your reasoning why interest has anything to do with insurance.

Comment

Lease no interest can be added to the service charges...

Comment

If the lease does not permit interest to be included within the service charge expenditure, it should not be included. That has nothing to do with insurance. IPT is an integral part of the cost of insurance and if the lease requires you to pay insurance, you should pay the full cost, not part of it.

Comment

Some leases do include a clause to say that leaseholder in arrears on payment on annual service charge or annual ground rent may be charged interest at Nat-West Bank's standard interest rate + 4% .

But this situation is not the same as "recoverable from the service charge account."

Comment

Some leases do allow the landlord to borrow money and include interest charges within the service charge expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie Landlord
                    annam222
                    Hi all,

Sorry for a basic question. I am renting out my one bedroom flat for 12 months (rent and collect through an agent). Would someone mind telling me what insurance I need? Is it just a landlord insurance? I heard Which report may help?
                    Many thanks
                    Anna
                    18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
                  • Reply to Newbie Landlord
                    leaseholder64
                    Any lender with a loan secured on the property.
                    18-06-2019, 12:30 PM
                    annam222
                    Thank you very much. That is a good tip regarding "only let for a six month fixed term then let it go periodic", I did not realise I could do six months. I thought only 12 months minimum with break clause at six months.
                    Sorry when you say "You only need what is required by your...
                    18-06-2019, 12:29 PM
                    leaseholder64
                    You only need what is required by your lender. That may be covered by the buildings insurance for the block, but make sure that that insurance covers sub-let flats. Anything else depends on your willingness to take risks.

Landlord insurance is a packaged product so you need to look at...
                    18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
                  • Damage to Ceiling
                    jessa46
                    I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
                    16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
                  • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                    JK0
                    But won't flat above have same policy as you?

Maybe you could ask them to pay the excess if any.
                    16-06-2019, 17:15 PM
                  • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                    Dazvader
                    First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
                    15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
                  • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                    Macromia
                    Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
                    16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
                    Dazvader
                    Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
                    15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
                    leaseholder64
                    You said t"The first two were sorted by him to an unimpressive standard"); that is compensating you.

People are only legally responsible to compensate you if they have been negligent, not just because they own the source of the problem. That means they have to have done something...
                    15-06-2019, 10:43 AM
                  Working...
                  X