Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

I was reading through some tribunal cases and they stated interest is not recoverable from the Lease...so does this mean IPT tax on insurance is NOT recoverable?

Yes. Nothing else would make sense.

Comment

Note that it comes out of the service charge by definition based on the statutory definition of service charges. It may be a different part of the service charge, and may have a different reserve fund treatment. It may be referred to as an insurance rent, but is still service charge from the point of view of the legislation.

Comment

IPT is charged at 12% and is not the same as VAT which is charged at 20%.

VAT at 20% is added to the invoice by the supplier if his turnover exceeds £85K p.a ?

IPT at 12% is charged on insurance cover.

VAT at 5% is charged for supply to residential building.

Comment

I don’t understand the question, please explain your reasoning why interest has anything to do with insurance.

Comment

Lease no interest can be added to the service charges...

Comment

If the lease does not permit interest to be included within the service charge expenditure, it should not be included. That has nothing to do with insurance. IPT is an integral part of the cost of insurance and if the lease requires you to pay insurance, you should pay the full cost, not part of it.

Comment

Some leases do include a clause to say that leaseholder in arrears on payment on annual service charge or annual ground rent may be charged interest at Nat-West Bank's standard interest rate + 4% .

But this situation is not the same as "recoverable from the service charge account."

Comment

Some leases do allow the landlord to borrow money and include interest charges within the service charge expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
                    Cpoole
                    Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
                    1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
                    2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building...
                    08-08-2019, 15:32 PM
                  • Reply to Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
                    Flashback1966
                    You would have signed a Lease to take over the shop. Your solicitor should have made you aware of your obligations and gone over the terms and conditions.

Some of the points have already been made. I would expect the freeholder to insure the building under a block policy. You would...
                    17-09-2019, 16:09 PM
                  • Insurance and Subsidence
                    security2
                    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
                    18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
                    Flashback1966
                    I don't see a problem. As long as the remedies are sound. There is nothing to worry about. You should insure with the current provider, until the issues have been resolved. Yes, they will have jacked up premium, but they would have sent in their surveyor, but you will be able to get another quote. For...
                    17-09-2019, 15:37 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
                    Stacker
                    What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
                    16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
                  • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                    BentuKala
                    Hello,
                    Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
                    I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
                    15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
                    JK0
                    6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
                    15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
                    BentuKala
                    Hi AndrewDod,
                    Thanks for your advise.
                    I know many experienced landlords, do not like rent guarantee insurance.
                    They are a lot better judging and selecting their tenants.
                    But being a novice, I am worried about the potential eviction costs, and bad tennats etc.

But...
                    15-09-2019, 18:49 PM
                    AndrewDod
                    This makes no sense. Why would an insurer insure against something that is predictable and nearly inevitable. Well they might, but the premium might approach the total annual rent for a one year premium.

Are you sure you have been thinking clearly about what you are doing as a landlord?...
                    15-09-2019, 18:41 PM
                  • Leaseholder insurance rights?
                    Shelley12
                    Does a leaseholder have the right to request to be copied in to all correspondence between the management company (and managing agent) and the insurance company, in reference to a claim resulting in a roof leak into their flat? The insurance is paid for via the service charges....
                    13-09-2019, 19:17 PM
                  Working...
                  X