Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

I was reading through some tribunal cases and they stated interest is not recoverable from the Lease...so does this mean IPT tax on insurance is NOT recoverable?

Yes. Nothing else would make sense.

Comment

Note that it comes out of the service charge by definition based on the statutory definition of service charges. It may be a different part of the service charge, and may have a different reserve fund treatment. It may be referred to as an insurance rent, but is still service charge from the point of view of the legislation.

Comment

IPT is charged at 12% and is not the same as VAT which is charged at 20%.

VAT at 20% is added to the invoice by the supplier if his turnover exceeds £85K p.a ?

IPT at 12% is charged on insurance cover.

VAT at 5% is charged for supply to residential building.

Comment

I don’t understand the question, please explain your reasoning why interest has anything to do with insurance.

Comment

Lease no interest can be added to the service charges...

Comment

If the lease does not permit interest to be included within the service charge expenditure, it should not be included. That has nothing to do with insurance. IPT is an integral part of the cost of insurance and if the lease requires you to pay insurance, you should pay the full cost, not part of it.

Comment

Some leases do include a clause to say that leaseholder in arrears on payment on annual service charge or annual ground rent may be charged interest at Nat-West Bank's standard interest rate + 4% .

But this situation is not the same as "recoverable from the service charge account."

Comment

Some leases do allow the landlord to borrow money and include interest charges within the service charge expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance question
                    Affinity
                    Here is the scenario:
                    Three flats in a building, sharing equally (1/3 each) the cost of building insurance.
                    One of the flats is currently unoccupied because of imminent building work. The building works have been delayed. The insurance is £200 more expensive because of the flat being...
                    23-01-2019, 15:46 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance question
                    vmart
                    The answer will depend upon the lease. Many leases contain a clause requiring leaseholders not to do anything that increases the insurance premium. Thus, if the lease contains clause aforementioned the leaseholder will be in breach of their lease. However, in practice, the freeholder might just insist...
                    23-01-2019, 20:06 PM
                  • Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                    Interlaken
                    Our insurance on a small block of flats in SW London has just gone up by 50% to just over £1000 pa The reason I was given by the broker is that the existing policy included cover for 'acts of terrorism'. Even a policy without the T cover is 35% up on last year because all 4 flats are now rented out...
                    23-01-2019, 10:26 AM
                  • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                    Interlaken
                    Thanks for that Ashburnham - I did wonder if a nasty experience was the case and not a general rule but the price with 2 others my current broker suggested was significantly higher. Will do as you suggest....
                    23-01-2019, 11:31 AM
                    ashburnham
                    I am not aware of any increases to that extent with any of our underwriters for landlord property or terrorism cover in the last 12 months. Hopefully this is something isolated to your current insurer who maybe had a bad experience in the last 12 months with something in your postcode area or something...
                    23-01-2019, 11:14 AM
                    leaseholder64
                    Do you have a clause about not causing premiums to increase? If so, enforce that against the sub-letting leaseholders, and get them to cover the additional cost or arrange their own insurance.
                    23-01-2019, 10:51 AM
                  • water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
                    paul332
                    Hi,

I have read the sticky posts about water leaking downstairs and insurance. I just want to make sure that I am doing this (legally) right as my situation is quite specific:

- There was water leaking from the under boards of one of the bedroom flats to the downstairs flat...
                    21-01-2019, 01:45 AM
                  • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
                    claims handler
                    Hi Paul

as per the advice from a suburban, the onus is on the owner of the flat below to prove that his damage was as a direct result of an act of negligence on you part.

however in keeping good relations there is no harm on paying for their repairs or policy excess. just...
                    21-01-2019, 15:45 PM
                    JK0
                    I think you know the answers, don't you Paul?

Legally, no. Morally, yes....
                    21-01-2019, 11:05 AM
                    ashburnham
                    First of all, I assume the leak has been rectified to prevent it happening again. Secondly, get your Landlord Insurance sorted ASAP in case something worse happens!

In terms of repair to your downstairs neighbour, you are unlikely to be legally negligent and ultimately this is what the...
                    21-01-2019, 09:44 AM
                  Working...
                  X