Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IPT tax recoverable from service charges?

I was reading through some tribunal cases and they stated interest is not recoverable from the Lease...so does this mean IPT tax on insurance is NOT recoverable?

Yes. Nothing else would make sense.

Comment

Note that it comes out of the service charge by definition based on the statutory definition of service charges. It may be a different part of the service charge, and may have a different reserve fund treatment. It may be referred to as an insurance rent, but is still service charge from the point of view of the legislation.

Comment

IPT is charged at 12% and is not the same as VAT which is charged at 20%.

VAT at 20% is added to the invoice by the supplier if his turnover exceeds £85K p.a ?

IPT at 12% is charged on insurance cover.

VAT at 5% is charged for supply to residential building.

Comment

I don’t understand the question, please explain your reasoning why interest has anything to do with insurance.

Comment

Lease no interest can be added to the service charges...

Comment

If the lease does not permit interest to be included within the service charge expenditure, it should not be included. That has nothing to do with insurance. IPT is an integral part of the cost of insurance and if the lease requires you to pay insurance, you should pay the full cost, not part of it.

Comment

Some leases do include a clause to say that leaseholder in arrears on payment on annual service charge or annual ground rent may be charged interest at Nat-West Bank's standard interest rate + 4% .

But this situation is not the same as "recoverable from the service charge account."

Comment

Some leases do allow the landlord to borrow money and include interest charges within the service charge expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Burnt out shell next door
                    by Mr. Kiplilng
                    Hi

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, I couldn't see a more relevant one.

I live in a maisonette in a row above a parade of shops. My neighbors, directly adjoining, had a nasty house-fire that gutted the place but luckily nobody was injured. We were lucky enough to only have...
                    23-01-2020, 22:07 PM
                  • Reply to Burnt out shell next door
                    by Gordon999
                    You should ask your local MP to raise the problem with your local council.
                    24-01-2020, 13:11 PM
                  • Is this the correct policy type for us?
                    by Beresford Gatehouse
                    We are a block of 10 flats, each leaseholder is a 1/10th shareholder of the freeholding and management company. Until recently we employed another company to manage the property, but we've recently reverted to doing it ourselves.

It's time to renew our insurance, and I'm a bit worried about...
                    23-01-2020, 17:46 PM
                  • Reply to Is this the correct policy type for us?
                    by Gordon999
                    I suggest you look for a " Block of Flats" buildings insurance policy .

The policy should include insured cover for the "re-instatement value" (= floor area x building cost per sq ft and calculated by a chartered surveyor )
                    package may include "insured...
                    24-01-2020, 13:08 PM
                    by leaseholder64
                    Are you in a London Borough or a Unitary Authority area? If so the council can do something if it is dangerous of if it is an eyesore. If not, you have two councils and I'm not sure which one is responsible for each of these functions.

Dangerous structures are handled by building control....
                    23-01-2020, 23:50 PM
                    by JK0
                    AST or Long Lease?
                    23-01-2020, 23:48 PM
                  • Reply to Buildings Insurance
                    by Stacker
                    Thank you for your help Gordon.
                    23-01-2020, 19:45 PM
                  • Buildings Insurance
                    by Stacker
                    Hi All, I hope you are well!
                    Can you help me with a building insurance question please?
                    The building insurance was placed with a broker, the broker got the share of the payments wrong initially and the insurance does not seem to have been placed in the company name by the directors. It seems...
                    17-01-2020, 19:39 PM
                    by Gordon999
                    The billing for payment of insurance contributions should include a note to show (1) . % service charge payable under the lease and (2) . Table showing the calculation of contribution from each leasehold flat.

It should be noted that only the "named policyholder" can make...
                    21-01-2020, 08:22 AM
                    by Stacker
                    I agree but the incompetent director is not issuing people with the right calculations, he has now done it wrong twice and is demanding company expenses as part of this as well as high commission and no-one has been sent a valid demand!
                    20-01-2020, 16:35 PM
                  Working...
                  X