Damage to my property insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage to my property insurance claim

The owner of the next door property has recently crashed his car into brick wall in front of my house. He demolished the whole of the front garden.
    I would like to get compensation from his insurance policy.
    Will my insurance premium go up if I proceed with the claim through my insurer who would then liase with his ? I was first told that it wont affect me but now they say I will need to pay the excess and my premium will go up .
    I am very confused by that specially that I have already agreed to start the process through my insurer.
    ( the owner has still not acknowledged 3rd party damage to his insurer and also tried to offer me cash but I refused it).

Please advise what a process to get a compensation should look like ?

It is up to next door property to pay to fix the damage.

Where he gets the money from to fix is immaterial.
    The cost for You to engage builders to rectify the damage comes from 3 sources.
    1) next door property pays your builders quote, in advance.
    2) His insurance liaises with you to pay for the damage.
    3) You notify your insurers to go after him personally or through his insurers. And any excess payments by you is claimed by your insurance from his insurance.

It looks like he will not claim on his insurance, therefore you will have to sue him through the courts ( no insurance company involvement )

Get a builder to quote for all repairs, and send a copy to next door, stating that if payment is not received within 14 days, you will take him to court, and the stating price for solicitors to instigate will be approx £2000.- on top of your claim.
    ( You of course do not employ solicitors, but it means if he does not pay, his cost "could be" £ 2000 greater ) and my make him pay.

Try that first.

Comment

What Ram said.

I've come to the conclusion that home insurers would love you to claim with them for damage others have done... Think about it... they get full compensation from the insurers of the miscreant, but only pay you out (compensation-excess). Then for the next few years, they can increase your premium.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not quite another water leak question.
        Shreeve
        So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem...
        16-03-2019, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        Shreeve
        I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone...
        17-03-2019, 22:43 PM
        jpkeates
        I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        17-03-2019, 11:52 AM
        Jon66
        The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their...
        16-03-2019, 20:49 PM
        buzzard1994
        Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?
        16-03-2019, 18:48 PM
      • Insurance/charity
        Forever Forest
        Does anyone know of any insurance companies who offer LL cover if the property is leased to a charity?

Many thanks in advance.
        25-01-2019, 18:19 PM
      • Reply to Insurance/charity
        leonaph
        I though it sounded a good idea when my agent said a charity was interested in renting my house, to house single mothers and I just let him get on with it. But now I've probably fallen foul of my insurance company.
        I did not realize I was entering into a lease, Did not see the lease as the agent...
        14-03-2019, 16:40 PM
      • Policy details
        michelle230
        Hi on my insurance policy it states a 50% uplift. My understanding is that means insuring for 50% increase for inflation (in ONE year) for a potential rebuild!
        Have I understood this correctly and is this just yet another way to inflate the premiums?
        50%???
        Thanks
        Michelle
        05-03-2019, 14:53 PM
      • Reply to Policy details
        michelle230
        Hi thanks for taking time to reply.
        Yes - it does say in the lease that the freeholders have the right to insure.
        However I spoke to the Lease Advisory Service and they said I only need to be insured for what it says in my lease. Therefore expecting me to insure their hundreds of riskier...
        08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
      • Water escape liability question - managing agent and / or owner?
        catew
        Hi, first post here and really hope someone can help!

Three months ago there was water escape from the top flat that went through two others and then amassed in my ground floor flat. The owner was impossible to get hold of but I got a plumber to stop the leak and make a temporary repair....
        05-03-2019, 12:40 PM
      Working...
      X