Damage to my property insurance claim

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Damage to my property insurance claim

    The owner of the next door property has recently crashed his car into brick wall in front of my house. He demolished the whole of the front garden.
    I would like to get compensation from his insurance policy.
    Will my insurance premium go up if I proceed with the claim through my insurer who would then liase with his ? I was first told that it wont affect me but now they say I will need to pay the excess and my premium will go up .
    I am very confused by that specially that I have already agreed to start the process through my insurer.
    ( the owner has still not acknowledged 3rd party damage to his insurer and also tried to offer me cash but I refused it).

    Please advise what a process to get a compensation should look like ?

    It is up to next door property to pay to fix the damage.

    Where he gets the money from to fix is immaterial.
    The cost for You to engage builders to rectify the damage comes from 3 sources.
    1) next door property pays your builders quote, in advance.
    2) His insurance liaises with you to pay for the damage.
    3) You notify your insurers to go after him personally or through his insurers. And any excess payments by you is claimed by your insurance from his insurance.

    It looks like he will not claim on his insurance, therefore you will have to sue him through the courts ( no insurance company involvement )

    Get a builder to quote for all repairs, and send a copy to next door, stating that if payment is not received within 14 days, you will take him to court, and the stating price for solicitors to instigate will be approx £2000.- on top of your claim.
    ( You of course do not employ solicitors, but it means if he does not pay, his cost "could be" £ 2000 greater ) and my make him pay.

    Try that first.


      What Ram said.

      I've come to the conclusion that home insurers would love you to claim with them for damage others have done... Think about it... they get full compensation from the insurers of the miscreant, but only pay you out (compensation-excess). Then for the next few years, they can increase your premium.


      Latest Activity


      • Insurance question
        Here is the scenario:
        Three flats in a building, sharing equally (1/3 each) the cost of building insurance.
        One of the flats is currently unoccupied because of imminent building work. The building works have been delayed. The insurance is £200 more expensive because of the flat being...
        23-01-2019, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to Insurance question
        The answer will depend upon the lease. Many leases contain a clause requiring leaseholders not to do anything that increases the insurance premium. Thus, if the lease contains clause aforementioned the leaseholder will be in breach of their lease. However, in practice, the freeholder might just insist...
        23-01-2019, 20:06 PM
      • Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
        Our insurance on a small block of flats in SW London has just gone up by 50% to just over £1000 pa The reason I was given by the broker is that the existing policy included cover for 'acts of terrorism'. Even a policy without the T cover is 35% up on last year because all 4 flats are now rented out...
        23-01-2019, 10:26 AM
      • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
        Thanks for that Ashburnham - I did wonder if a nasty experience was the case and not a general rule but the price with 2 others my current broker suggested was significantly higher. Will do as you suggest....
        23-01-2019, 11:31 AM
      • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
        I am not aware of any increases to that extent with any of our underwriters for landlord property or terrorism cover in the last 12 months. Hopefully this is something isolated to your current insurer who maybe had a bad experience in the last 12 months with something in your postcode area or something...
        23-01-2019, 11:14 AM
      • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
        Do you have a clause about not causing premiums to increase? If so, enforce that against the sub-letting leaseholders, and get them to cover the additional cost or arrange their own insurance.
        23-01-2019, 10:51 AM
      • water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?

        I have read the sticky posts about water leaking downstairs and insurance. I just want to make sure that I am doing this (legally) right as my situation is quite specific:

        - There was water leaking from the under boards of one of the bedroom flats to the downstairs flat...
        21-01-2019, 01:45 AM
      • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
        claims handler
        Hi Paul

        as per the advice from a suburban, the onus is on the owner of the flat below to prove that his damage was as a direct result of an act of negligence on you part.

        however in keeping good relations there is no harm on paying for their repairs or policy excess. just...
        21-01-2019, 15:45 PM
      • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
        I think you know the answers, don't you Paul?

        Legally, no. Morally, yes....
        21-01-2019, 11:05 AM
      • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
        First of all, I assume the leak has been rectified to prevent it happening again. Secondly, get your Landlord Insurance sorted ASAP in case something worse happens!

        In terms of repair to your downstairs neighbour, you are unlikely to be legally negligent and ultimately this is what the...
        21-01-2019, 09:44 AM