Damage to my property insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage to my property insurance claim

The owner of the next door property has recently crashed his car into brick wall in front of my house. He demolished the whole of the front garden.
    I would like to get compensation from his insurance policy.
    Will my insurance premium go up if I proceed with the claim through my insurer who would then liase with his ? I was first told that it wont affect me but now they say I will need to pay the excess and my premium will go up .
    I am very confused by that specially that I have already agreed to start the process through my insurer.
    ( the owner has still not acknowledged 3rd party damage to his insurer and also tried to offer me cash but I refused it).

Please advise what a process to get a compensation should look like ?

It is up to next door property to pay to fix the damage.

Where he gets the money from to fix is immaterial.
    The cost for You to engage builders to rectify the damage comes from 3 sources.
    1) next door property pays your builders quote, in advance.
    2) His insurance liaises with you to pay for the damage.
    3) You notify your insurers to go after him personally or through his insurers. And any excess payments by you is claimed by your insurance from his insurance.

It looks like he will not claim on his insurance, therefore you will have to sue him through the courts ( no insurance company involvement )

Get a builder to quote for all repairs, and send a copy to next door, stating that if payment is not received within 14 days, you will take him to court, and the stating price for solicitors to instigate will be approx £2000.- on top of your claim.
    ( You of course do not employ solicitors, but it means if he does not pay, his cost "could be" £ 2000 greater ) and my make him pay.

Try that first.

Comment

What Ram said.

I've come to the conclusion that home insurers would love you to claim with them for damage others have done... Think about it... they get full compensation from the insurers of the miscreant, but only pay you out (compensation-excess). Then for the next few years, they can increase your premium.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie Landlord
        annam222
        Hi all,

Sorry for a basic question. I am renting out my one bedroom flat for 12 months (rent and collect through an agent). Would someone mind telling me what insurance I need? Is it just a landlord insurance? I heard Which report may help?
        Many thanks
        Anna
        18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
      • Reply to Newbie Landlord
        leaseholder64
        Any lender with a loan secured on the property.
        18-06-2019, 12:30 PM
        annam222
        Thank you very much. That is a good tip regarding "only let for a six month fixed term then let it go periodic", I did not realise I could do six months. I thought only 12 months minimum with break clause at six months.
        Sorry when you say "You only need what is required by your...
        18-06-2019, 12:29 PM
        leaseholder64
        You only need what is required by your lender. That may be covered by the buildings insurance for the block, but make sure that that insurance covers sub-let flats. Anything else depends on your willingness to take risks.

Landlord insurance is a packaged product so you need to look at...
        18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
      • Damage to Ceiling
        jessa46
        I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
        16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
      • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
        JK0
        But won't flat above have same policy as you?

Maybe you could ask them to pay the excess if any.
        16-06-2019, 17:15 PM
      • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
        Dazvader
        First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
        15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
      • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
        Macromia
        Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
        16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
        Dazvader
        Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
        15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
        leaseholder64
        You said t"The first two were sorted by him to an unimpressive standard"); that is compensating you.

People are only legally responsible to compensate you if they have been negligent, not just because they own the source of the problem. That means they have to have done something...
        15-06-2019, 10:43 AM
      Working...
      X