Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

Mum is buying a bungalow built in somebody's back garden. There are 9 properties altogether and they are freehold.

There is a resident's association and everyone pays into a public liability insurance for the unadopted tarmac access road.

My question is this: Is it normal for properties in this situation to pay for public liability for land that is not theirs?

I am also concerned that Mum might be partly responsible for repairs to the tarmac surface or other repairs such as to the utilities.

I've tried to find the owner of the unadopted road on the Land Reg but have been unsuccessful.

The tardiness of the solicitor is frustrating.

edit: the road is unadopted but I think it might also be a private road as it's on a small estate of fairly newish properties. This leads me to believe it does belong to somebody.

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I don't think the council will ever adopt this private road. The road is private so the property owners aren't liable for the repairs as they would be if it was just unadpoted and not private. (I read the Highways Act).

In the conveyance document dated 1977, so not that old, references are made to the Purchaser and the Vendor but as the doc continues from when the land was sold (it was part of a large back garden) to the Purchaser (Mr Builder of Houses) it was clear who the P and V were. But it gets confusing further down the doc. I went to see the solicitor today and she says she's waiting for clarification from my vendor's solicitors.

Perhaps if I re-read the doc tomorrow I will understand it better - or maybe I just need a BIG GIN and then it will all make sense!

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Councils won't adopt roads unless they service a significant community. In the current climate, that road is never going to be adopted.

Even if it were important enough to adopt, it would have to be brought up to council standards before it was adopted.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I think some councils are hard-up and have no budget to take on private roads.

So these roads have to be maintained by the house owners on the estate.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Thank you leaseholder64. There are some other issues however but I won't bore you with the details. Several small but important details need sorting. part of the problem is, I think, older people have bought properties on the estate and not questioned the issues I'm questioning so the info hasn't passed down the purchasers and their solicitors.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I've got this sorted - nearly. I would delete the post but I can't so here's the situation so far - just 4 of the residents own the private unadopted area and everyone chips in for the public liability. The 4 owners are responsible for any shortfall should there be a claim or repairs.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    You should be concerned if you mother is not partially responsible for the upkeep of the road, and there is not a covenant to that effect noted on the title for the property.

The land will have started off belonging to someone, although it may have reverted to the Crown. The Crown do not have to maintain land.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Question regarding insurance
    luke.norwich
    Hello!
    I would like to ask if you have any experiance with Direct Line insurance for landlords? I am thinking of buing their insurance (building, legal expenses, rent guarantee).
    Is it worth recommending? What is your experiance regarding handling claims etc?

I will appriciate...
    20-09-2019, 09:55 AM
  • Reply to Question regarding insurance
    AndrewDod
    I had that firm before. One massive issue for me was they did not insure "students". When one of my tenants age 53 became a postgraduate PhD student it precipitated a crisis where my insurance became invalid mid-term.

One problem with insurance these days is that there is no thinking...
    20-09-2019, 12:01 PM
  • Reply to Question regarding insurance
    JK0
    I have that firm for home, motor & landlord insurance. You should only buy this if you are fairly certain you won't need to claim. I've had one home & one motor claim with them years ago. The motor claim was okay. For the home one, I had to threaten to sue.
    20-09-2019, 10:29 AM
  • Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
    Cpoole
    Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
    1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
    2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building...
    08-08-2019, 15:32 PM
  • Reply to Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
    Flashback1966
    You would have signed a Lease to take over the shop. Your solicitor should have made you aware of your obligations and gone over the terms and conditions.

Some of the points have already been made. I would expect the freeholder to insure the building under a block policy. You would...
    17-09-2019, 16:09 PM
  • Insurance and Subsidence
    security2
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
    18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
    Flashback1966
    I don't see a problem. As long as the remedies are sound. There is nothing to worry about. You should insure with the current provider, until the issues have been resolved. Yes, they will have jacked up premium, but they would have sent in their surveyor, but you will be able to get another quote. For...
    17-09-2019, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
    Stacker
    What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
    16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
  • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
    BentuKala
    Hello,
    Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
    I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
    15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
  • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
    JK0
    6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
    15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
Working...
X