Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

    Mum is buying a bungalow built in somebody's back garden. There are 9 properties altogether and they are freehold.

    There is a resident's association and everyone pays into a public liability insurance for the unadopted tarmac access road.

    My question is this: Is it normal for properties in this situation to pay for public liability for land that is not theirs?

    I am also concerned that Mum might be partly responsible for repairs to the tarmac surface or other repairs such as to the utilities.

    I've tried to find the owner of the unadopted road on the Land Reg but have been unsuccessful.

    The tardiness of the solicitor is frustrating.

    edit: the road is unadopted but I think it might also be a private road as it's on a small estate of fairly newish properties. This leads me to believe it does belong to somebody.

    You should be concerned if you mother is not partially responsible for the upkeep of the road, and there is not a covenant to that effect noted on the title for the property.

    The land will have started off belonging to someone, although it may have reverted to the Crown. The Crown do not have to maintain land.


      I've got this sorted - nearly. I would delete the post but I can't so here's the situation so far - just 4 of the residents own the private unadopted area and everyone chips in for the public liability. The 4 owners are responsible for any shortfall should there be a claim or repairs.


        Thank you leaseholder64. There are some other issues however but I won't bore you with the details. Several small but important details need sorting. part of the problem is, I think, older people have bought properties on the estate and not questioned the issues I'm questioning so the info hasn't passed down the purchasers and their solicitors.


          I think some councils are hard-up and have no budget to take on private roads.

          So these roads have to be maintained by the house owners on the estate.


            Councils won't adopt roads unless they service a significant community. In the current climate, that road is never going to be adopted.

            Even if it were important enough to adopt, it would have to be brought up to council standards before it was adopted.


              I don't think the council will ever adopt this private road. The road is private so the property owners aren't liable for the repairs as they would be if it was just unadpoted and not private. (I read the Highways Act).

              In the conveyance document dated 1977, so not that old, references are made to the Purchaser and the Vendor but as the doc continues from when the land was sold (it was part of a large back garden) to the Purchaser (Mr Builder of Houses) it was clear who the P and V were. But it gets confusing further down the doc. I went to see the solicitor today and she says she's waiting for clarification from my vendor's solicitors.

              Perhaps if I re-read the doc tomorrow I will understand it better - or maybe I just need a BIG GIN and then it will all make sense!


              Latest Activity


              • Malicious damage by a tenant - covered ??
                Hi everyone

                I am thinking of letting out a bedroom in my house, and I also have a small flat that I let out. A recent insurance scare has prompted me to check my levels of cover and malicious damage is something I am deeply worried about as I've never thought about until now (ignorance...
                21-06-2019, 15:46 PM
              • Reply to Malicious damage by a tenant - covered ??
                Hi ashburnham and thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing which company you work for?

                From the link I gave to the unfortunate sod insured by Zurich, this was the 'get out clause' they used (successfully):

                ""It is established case law that in instances such as...
                24-06-2019, 12:58 PM
              • Solar PV faulty installation
                7 years ago I had solar panels installed by a Co no longer trading. A recent roof inspection determined this Co had cracked the tiles,without providing adequate underlying protection.
                Can I claim this as vandalism on my buildings Ins?
                22-06-2019, 03:17 AM
              • Reply to Solar PV faulty installation
                It is unlikely your home insurer will cover this. You employed a contractor to do a job so it is bad workmanship by them and not vandalism. Normally any work by trades people is excluded on a home insurance policy so any claim you make will have to be against the contractor. There is obviously no harm...
                24-06-2019, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to Solar PV faulty installation
                Presumably the contractor must have had insurance when the job was done? Do you know who that firm was? Do you have any paperwork?
                22-06-2019, 16:27 PM
              • Damage to Ceiling
                I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
                16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
              • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                You can't claim on someone else's insurance, only the policy holder can do that.
                The upstairs insurance won't pay out on a repair to your flat unless the negligence covered by the policy and proven (and that's not really possible - although your agent might be right, that's hardly proof).
                22-06-2019, 12:07 PM
              • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                Why was the defaulting owner not sued or threatened with forfeiture? Not having a block policy is likely to make it difficult to sell.
                22-06-2019, 11:57 AM
              • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                We had a block policy years ago but one owner refused to pay so we had to take out individual policies with 'insurance to common area'.
                22-06-2019, 11:54 AM
              • Reply to Solar PV faulty installation
                You'd need a crime reference number from the police, but I'm sure they will tell you it is a civil matter.
                22-06-2019, 09:26 AM