Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property

Mum is buying a bungalow built in somebody's back garden. There are 9 properties altogether and they are freehold.

There is a resident's association and everyone pays into a public liability insurance for the unadopted tarmac access road.

My question is this: Is it normal for properties in this situation to pay for public liability for land that is not theirs?

I am also concerned that Mum might be partly responsible for repairs to the tarmac surface or other repairs such as to the utilities.

I've tried to find the owner of the unadopted road on the Land Reg but have been unsuccessful.

The tardiness of the solicitor is frustrating.

edit: the road is unadopted but I think it might also be a private road as it's on a small estate of fairly newish properties. This leads me to believe it does belong to somebody.

You should be concerned if you mother is not partially responsible for the upkeep of the road, and there is not a covenant to that effect noted on the title for the property.

The land will have started off belonging to someone, although it may have reverted to the Crown. The Crown do not have to maintain land.

Comment

I've got this sorted - nearly. I would delete the post but I can't so here's the situation so far - just 4 of the residents own the private unadopted area and everyone chips in for the public liability. The 4 owners are responsible for any shortfall should there be a claim or repairs.

Comment

Thank you leaseholder64. There are some other issues however but I won't bore you with the details. Several small but important details need sorting. part of the problem is, I think, older people have bought properties on the estate and not questioned the issues I'm questioning so the info hasn't passed down the purchasers and their solicitors.

Comment

I think some councils are hard-up and have no budget to take on private roads.

So these roads have to be maintained by the house owners on the estate.

Comment

Councils won't adopt roads unless they service a significant community. In the current climate, that road is never going to be adopted.

Even if it were important enough to adopt, it would have to be brought up to council standards before it was adopted.

Comment

I don't think the council will ever adopt this private road. The road is private so the property owners aren't liable for the repairs as they would be if it was just unadpoted and not private. (I read the Highways Act).

In the conveyance document dated 1977, so not that old, references are made to the Purchaser and the Vendor but as the doc continues from when the land was sold (it was part of a large back garden) to the Purchaser (Mr Builder of Houses) it was clear who the P and V were. But it gets confusing further down the doc. I went to see the solicitor today and she says she's waiting for clarification from my vendor's solicitors.

Perhaps if I re-read the doc tomorrow I will understand it better - or maybe I just need a BIG GIN and then it will all make sense!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie Landlord
                annam222
                Hi all,

Sorry for a basic question. I am renting out my one bedroom flat for 12 months (rent and collect through an agent). Would someone mind telling me what insurance I need? Is it just a landlord insurance? I heard Which report may help?
                Many thanks
                Anna
                18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
              • Reply to Newbie Landlord
                leaseholder64
                Any lender with a loan secured on the property.
                18-06-2019, 12:30 PM
                annam222
                Thank you very much. That is a good tip regarding "only let for a six month fixed term then let it go periodic", I did not realise I could do six months. I thought only 12 months minimum with break clause at six months.
                Sorry when you say "You only need what is required by your...
                18-06-2019, 12:29 PM
                leaseholder64
                You only need what is required by your lender. That may be covered by the buildings insurance for the block, but make sure that that insurance covers sub-let flats. Anything else depends on your willingness to take risks.

Landlord insurance is a packaged product so you need to look at...
                18-06-2019, 11:38 AM
              • Damage to Ceiling
                jessa46
                I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
                16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
              • Reply to Damage to Ceiling
                JK0
                But won't flat above have same policy as you?

Maybe you could ask them to pay the excess if any.
                16-06-2019, 17:15 PM
              • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                Dazvader
                First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
                15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
              • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
                Macromia
                Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
                16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
                Dazvader
                Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
                15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
                leaseholder64
                You said t"The first two were sorted by him to an unimpressive standard"); that is compensating you.

People are only legally responsible to compensate you if they have been negligent, not just because they own the source of the problem. That means they have to have done something...
                15-06-2019, 10:43 AM
              Working...
              X