£4k+ Buildings Insurance For Block Of 4 Flats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    £4k+ Buildings Insurance For Block Of 4 Flats

    I am aware that this can vary greatly from building to building depending on the specifics, but I'll give it a go anyway!

    I am a leaseholder of a flat in a building containing 4 flats spread over 5 floors - Lower Ground, Ground, and 3 Upper Floors - in a conservation area in London. It is a late Victorian terrace conversion with no lift. The footprint of each floor is approx 800 sq ft. Residential safe area, 300m away from high streets.

    I recently received an invoice from the managing agents for buildings insurance stating that the total premium was in excess of £4200 including tax, including £800 for terrorism cover, meaning each leaseholder's share would be in excess of £1000. The buildings sum insured was £2m.

    This is an increase in premium of 25% from the previous year. Does anyone have a rough idea of the range in which the premium should be? over 4k seems really excessive but getting quotes from the online tools is difficult since these are mostly for individual dwellings rather than blocks of flats.

    Is the freehold company a big landlord in central london ?

    Cost to insure depends on location, size of building and past record of insurance claims.

    Your building floor area size is 5 x 800 sq ft = 4000 sq ft. Some local surveyor should be able to tell you if £2 Mil is the correct "insured value for reinstatement" ?

    You must ask your neighbours in similar type building -- what is the insured value and where to buy.

    You must make a written request to MA for a "summary of insured cover" for the building by "registered post" and you will get the details within 30 days or failing to receive the info, it becomes a criminal offence .

    Then you use the summary of insured cover as "buying spec" to get quotations from other insurance brokers.

    Some types of policies are plain "buildings insurance cover " .

    Some policies are " block of flats insurance " and include alternative accommodation for 2-3 years. public liability and employee liability, water leakage etc..

    I believe one of the big 4 high street banks offers "house insurance up to £ 1 Mil cover" for £400 p.a .

    So being charged £4000 p.a for insured cover of £2 Mil looks OTT.


      It is so difficult to give an estimated price without the full info as you know. However, if there are no claims/subsidence/flood or any other adverse factors, the £4k figure is definitely excessive even for a policy with all the extras included.

      As above says, you need to get the full insurance information from the agent and then obtain like for like quotes which you can then put back to the agent.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


        As a comparison, just renewing our insurance currently. Renewal price is less than £600 for a Victorian conversion, 3 flats over 3 floors, similar sizes to yours. No recent claims. In zone 2, South London, used to be an "edgy" area but is gentrified now.

        Alternative quotes are £800-£1500, so we will renew with existing company.

        We self manage, so no fees to add on top.

        Sounds like you are being potentially fleeced, but you need to get the details and verify.

        It would be easy for managing agents to arrange kickbacks for putting business to certain suppliers, that shouldn't be a surprise. I'm not saying that is what yours is doing, but it's possible.


          Current codes say they should say what the kickbacks are.


            I currently have the same problem with the freeholder. The premium for previous year is over 4800, and we shared between 4 flats. The building insurance was re-evaluated and the rebuild cost is a about 1.2 million. Also, the management agent ask us to pay the building insurance 9 months in advance based on an estimate of 5500 pounds for the year 2018-2019. This is way too much, so we asked the freeholder to provide the proof of building insurance. All we got is a single sheet of insurance summary from Aviva, no further details. I’m planning to post a letter to ask for a more detailed insurance certificate.


              What information does your single sheet summary show ?

              The summary of cover should give you :

              the name and address of insurance broker and
              name of insurance company,
              name of policy holder,
              the starting day of insured cover ,
              the property address,
              the re-instatement value of the property.
              the insured value of the property,
              cover for public liability,
              cover for employee liability.
              The excess to pay before the claims policy can start .


                Thanks for your replies.

                Is the freehold company a big landlord in central london ?"

                Indeed it is!

                I contacted another broker to get a quote, it was about 25% cheaper. Not had the chance yet to contact more.

                Our single sheet summary sent by the MA (originally given to the MA by the broker) mentioned sum insured (buidlings) which I presume reflects the rebuilding cost. It did not mention anything relating to costs of alternative accommodation during rebuilding, public liability etc.

                It showed the total payable including tax - it did not segregate managing agents fees in this. I believe our lease specifies the MA are entitled to levy a certain fee, perhaps It was 12% - certainly for decorative works this has been the case.

                The terrorism cover was also very high on the other quote I obtained. This seems ridiculous. We are 350m away from any high street, the chances of the building being damaged or destroyed by terrorism are miniscule. Those writing these terrorism cover policies are almost literally printing money. I will see if it is possible for this cover to be removed.

                Addendum: Will we need another rebuilding valuation if obtaining a policy with another company? These valuations have been expensive in the past.


                  Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                  Current codes say they should say what the kickbacks are.

                  How many do you think do?



                    Are you saying the summary of insured cover shows £2 Mil cover for rebuilding cost @ £3400 only and separate policy for terrorism cover for £2 Mil @ £800 premium ?

                    it just basic buildings insurance policy and not offered as block of flats insurance policy ? .

                    If you have the broker's name and address + policy number , you can send a written enquiry for disclosure of the commission taken from the premium and paid to freeholder or to the managing agent .


                      And if and when you get the confirmation from the broker of any commission paid, you can then ask the freeholder why they are charging service charges AND commissions. Double bubble, nice!


                      Latest Activity


                      • Damage to my property insurance claim
                        The owner of the next door property has recently crashed his car into brick wall in front of my house. He demolished the whole of the front garden.
                        I would like to get compensation from his insurance policy.
                        Will my insurance premium go up if I proceed with the claim through my insurer who...
                        10-12-2018, 23:32 PM
                      • Reply to Damage to my property insurance claim
                        What Ram said.

                        I've come to the conclusion that home insurers would love you to claim with them for damage others have done... Think about it... they get full compensation from the insurers of the miscreant, but only pay you out (compensation-excess). Then for the next few years, they can...
                        10-12-2018, 23:58 PM
                      • Reply to Damage to my property insurance claim
                        It is up to next door property to pay to fix the damage.

                        Where he gets the money from to fix is immaterial.
                        The cost for You to engage builders to rectify the damage comes from 3 sources.
                        1) next door property pays your builders quote, in advance.
                        2) His insurance liaises
                        10-12-2018, 23:51 PM
                      • Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        Mum is buying a bungalow built in somebody's back garden. There are 9 properties altogether and they are freehold.

                        There is a resident's association and everyone pays into a public liability insurance for the unadopted tarmac access road.

                        My question is this: Is it normal for...
                        04-12-2018, 10:51 AM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        I don't think the council will ever adopt this private road. The road is private so the property owners aren't liable for the repairs as they would be if it was just unadpoted and not private. (I read the Highways Act).

                        In the conveyance document dated 1977, so not that old, references...
                        07-12-2018, 17:32 PM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        Councils won't adopt roads unless they service a significant community. In the current climate, that road is never going to be adopted.

                        Even if it were important enough to adopt, it would have to be brought up to council standards before it was adopted.
                        07-12-2018, 11:06 AM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        I think some councils are hard-up and have no budget to take on private roads.

                        So these roads have to be maintained by the house owners on the estate.
                        07-12-2018, 10:57 AM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        Thank you leaseholder64. There are some other issues however but I won't bore you with the details. Several small but important details need sorting. part of the problem is, I think, older people have bought properties on the estate and not questioned the issues I'm questioning so the info hasn't passed...
                        04-12-2018, 16:33 PM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        I've got this sorted - nearly. I would delete the post but I can't so here's the situation so far - just 4 of the residents own the private unadopted area and everyone chips in for the public liability. The 4 owners are responsible for any shortfall should there be a claim or repairs....
                        04-12-2018, 16:30 PM
                      • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
                        You should be concerned if you mother is not partially responsible for the upkeep of the road, and there is not a covenant to that effect noted on the title for the property.

                        The land will have started off belonging to someone, although it may have reverted to the Crown. The Crown do not...
                        04-12-2018, 13:23 PM