damage to tenants property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • damage to tenants property

    I had a water leak from a split immersion tamk in one of my flats.It was made safe the same night and new tank put in within 4 days (it happened on a friday night and a tank had to be ordered) The tennant is trying to claim £2000 for damage to his daughters toys and sentimental items stored in the bottom of the airing cupboard ( he has provided a list???). His lease states he is responsible for insuring his own personal items. At the same time i have issued a section 21 as i want the flat back and he owes over £1000 in unpaid rent.Am i liable to cover these items?..as a goodwill gesture i am prepared to write off the owed rent if he leaves before i have to evict him.Or should i just continue with the eviction and chase him for the money...Any advice please?...thanks

  • #2
    The only way you could be possibly be liable is if the tenant informed you prior to the leak that the tank had a potential problem and needed to be replaced/repaired and you ignored this request.

    Obviously this is not likely to be the case so you are not liable and, as you say, the tenant would be responsible in insuring their own contents (which is standard across the board).

    Obviously goodwill gestures, etc may keep the peace but is entirely your decision and not a legal requirement.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    • #3
      thank you..i am now going to write to all my tenants reminding them about contents insurance. The goodwill guesture is a bit diplomatic as i know i have'nt got a chance of getting my money!!..


      • #4
        ya... you can.........


        Latest Activity


        • Landlords contents insurance
          My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
          21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
        • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
          I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
          21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
        • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          John Youngs
          I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
          19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          John Youngs
          Thanks for the reply.

          The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

          The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
          19-08-2017, 14:12 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          Are you renewing because the lease is about to expire, or are you doing so in order to extend one that has at least 21 years to run.

          In the latter case, you extend by exactly 90 years, and change the rent to one peppercorn per year (which will not, in practice, be demanded), without other...
          19-08-2017, 13:18 PM
        • Subsidence cover
          I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

          We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
          08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
        • Reply to Subsidence cover
          Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
          08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
        • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
          I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

          The council are useless and gave no help.

          My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

          Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
          08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
        • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
          What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
          08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
        • Reply to Subsidence cover
          I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

          I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

          Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
          08-08-2017, 15:48 PM