Could somebody reccomend a reliable insurance broker?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Could somebody reccomend a reliable insurance broker?

    Hi all,

    I have a leasehold flat which i'm about to start renting and want to get some landlord insurance. The thing is that the service charge I pay includes building insurance. It seems that because of this some of the online comparisons won't give me a price. I'd like to speak with a reputable broker to try and find some cover for my needs. Would appreciate any advice.

    It is unusual for the buildings cover not to be communal in blocks of flats.


      In most leases the insuring of a building belonging to freeholder is done by freeholder or via the service charge account.

      "you" as the leaseholder of a flat are not able to get insurance cover for the building.

      But you should be able to get cover for your contents and accidents inside the flat, and public liability ( including damage by water leaks to flat below ,


        if you take cover for contents (which I recommend for the following reason) you will be covered if your tenant floods out the flat below. The landlord's material damage insurer will look to the leaseholder of a flat above for a recovery if there is a leak into their insured premises below. We go as far as putting an obligation in our leases and lettings agreements such that occupiers must insure their contents; not because we care about their three piece suite but to cover the liability when a leak is caused from one flat to the premises below.


        Latest Activity


        • A slightly more complicated water damage issue

          I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

          There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats....
          20-03-2019, 21:10 PM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          It's one of those situations where the widely held belief, that it's always the responsibility of whoever had the leak who ends up paying for the damage, is wrong.
          But it's so widely held that lots of people pay out and it starts to become true.
          22-03-2019, 15:04 PM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          If its a leak from radiator and went though 2 flats and is visable im sure you will have noticed, you would have had to top boiler up and bleed radiators. Hes trying it on already said hasn't got insurance so hes blaming you
          21-03-2019, 18:43 PM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          Thanks very much, I'm going round to have a look this evening, and I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow and speaking to the insurance company once I've spoken to the plumber

          the flat below and is already talking about who pays and the flat below them is talking about liability already....
          21-03-2019, 17:10 PM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          There's no default liability for a leak.
          Leaks happen, and unless there's been either negligence or a deliberate act to cause the leak, the question of liability doesn't arise.
          And as there isn't really anything anyone can do to "maintain" pipework, negligence is a bit of a stretch....
          21-03-2019, 14:34 PM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          You can get a leak from a bedroom if the bedroom has a radiator. I have experience of a leaking central heating pipe under floorboards causing damage to a room below. It was a real pain to find as at first it appeared to be penetrating damp. You can also get leaks running a fair way under floorboards...
          21-03-2019, 10:29 AM
        • Airbnb Insurance cover.
          I rent a cottage. My tenant has asked to use a room for Airbnb for holiday lets.. My insurer has said it will negate the Cover they provide..They will cover for a lodger but not for Airbnb.. I rang another Insurer who provide cover but only if Airbnb is being provided within where the homeowner lives....
          20-03-2019, 16:31 PM
        • Reply to Airbnb Insurance cover.
          Airbnb not a problem but as the tenant want to arrange it, it falls under the "sub-letting" category which makes most insurers run a mile. Think you will have trouble getting the cover you need, coupled with other potential issues as per above post, I think this is more hassle than it's w...
          21-03-2019, 10:26 AM
        • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
          I would just relay everything in your post to your landlord insurer. I do not know the extent of coverage on your insurance policy but things that will help are:

          "Trace and Access" cover which would cover the locating and repairing of the leak
          "Property Owners Liability"...
          21-03-2019, 09:58 AM
        • Insrance cover for leaseholder
          Hello, I inherited a
          flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
          20-03-2019, 14:51 PM