Landlord Insurance - Which type of cover?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord Insurance - Which type of cover?

    I have a question about my landlord insurance which I am about to renew.
    My flat is located in a converted house (8 flats in total).
    There is a Right to Manage in place and a management company looks after the block including renewal of building insurance.

    As a landlord I would like to be covered for the followings and therefore I am buying an extra insurance for my flat.

    - Landlord/owner liability: in case one of my tenants or a visitor get injured whilst in my property;
    - Loss of rent: in case the flat becomes inhabitable and I need to re-house the tenants somewhere else;
    - Should a sink/washing machine or an internal water pipe leak and cause damage to the flats below mine I would like to be covered in this scenario. Now my understanding is that some building insurance would cover this situation but others might not. I have asked our management company/insurer about this but it is taking ages to them to come back to me therefore I prefer to be on the safe side. What should I request when buying a landlord insurance to be protected against this event?

    Would anyone be able to suggest an insurance broker to arrange this?

    thanks a lot.

    Try Direct Line.


      Discount Insurance


      Latest Activity


      • A slightly more complicated water damage issue

        I own and am the landlord of a flat. The flat below is landlord owned and has tenants, the flat below them is owner occupied

        There has been an issue with a leak from the flat below mine into the flat below his, it has caused damage to the bathrooms in both flats....
        20-03-2019, 21:10 PM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        It's one of those situations where the widely held belief, that it's always the responsibility of whoever had the leak who ends up paying for the damage, is wrong.
        But it's so widely held that lots of people pay out and it starts to become true.
        22-03-2019, 15:04 PM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        If its a leak from radiator and went though 2 flats and is visable im sure you will have noticed, you would have had to top boiler up and bleed radiators. Hes trying it on already said hasn't got insurance so hes blaming you
        21-03-2019, 18:43 PM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        Thanks very much, I'm going round to have a look this evening, and I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow and speaking to the insurance company once I've spoken to the plumber

        the flat below and is already talking about who pays and the flat below them is talking about liability already....
        21-03-2019, 17:10 PM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        There's no default liability for a leak.
        Leaks happen, and unless there's been either negligence or a deliberate act to cause the leak, the question of liability doesn't arise.
        And as there isn't really anything anyone can do to "maintain" pipework, negligence is a bit of a stretch....
        21-03-2019, 14:34 PM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        You can get a leak from a bedroom if the bedroom has a radiator. I have experience of a leaking central heating pipe under floorboards causing damage to a room below. It was a real pain to find as at first it appeared to be penetrating damp. You can also get leaks running a fair way under floorboards...
        21-03-2019, 10:29 AM
      • Airbnb Insurance cover.
        I rent a cottage. My tenant has asked to use a room for Airbnb for holiday lets.. My insurer has said it will negate the Cover they provide..They will cover for a lodger but not for Airbnb.. I rang another Insurer who provide cover but only if Airbnb is being provided within where the homeowner lives....
        20-03-2019, 16:31 PM
      • Reply to Airbnb Insurance cover.
        Airbnb not a problem but as the tenant want to arrange it, it falls under the "sub-letting" category which makes most insurers run a mile. Think you will have trouble getting the cover you need, coupled with other potential issues as per above post, I think this is more hassle than it's w...
        21-03-2019, 10:26 AM
      • Reply to A slightly more complicated water damage issue
        I would just relay everything in your post to your landlord insurer. I do not know the extent of coverage on your insurance policy but things that will help are:

        "Trace and Access" cover which would cover the locating and repairing of the leak
        "Property Owners Liability"...
        21-03-2019, 09:58 AM
      • Insrance cover for leaseholder
        Hello, I inherited a
        flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
        20-03-2019, 14:51 PM